Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Does gender always win?

Started by suzifrommd, April 27, 2014, 08:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are transgender people fated to give in to their identities or can you live a happy life as the gender opposite your identity?

Gender always wins. To be happy, we need to give in to our identities.
I suppose there are some people who can be happy as their birth sex, but I think it would be rare.
Sure. With well developed coping skills, most of us could live happily presenting as our birth sex.

suzifrommd

I come in contact with a lot of trans people who are torn between transition and a life in which they are comfortable - perhaps a family, decent job situation, standing in the community - and resist transitioning because it will put all that at risk.

Can people in that situation remain happy, or is it our fate either to transition or live with constantly increasing dysphoria?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Misato

My heart says gender always wins but my brain keeps me from embracing that absolute. People are crafty and someone out there may well find another way to cope.

All I know for sure is for me, I had to transition. The call to come home was too strong and I feel grateful for the lessons learned from putting so much at risk.
  •  

FalseHybridPrincess

If there wasnt a way to transition, im sure I would somehow find a way to live
maybe Id feel sad occasionally buut I dont really know
http://falsehybridprincess.tumblr.com/
Follow me and I ll do your dishes.

Also lets be friends on fb :D
  •  

Nero

I voted the second one. We're all different with varying levels of dysphoria, priorities etc. And there must have been thousands who came before us with no other way. And I can't imagine they all led miserable lives.

I don't think the third option is true.

Disclaimer here: I had none of those things Suzi mentioned. So, I really don't know from personal experience.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Dee Marshall

I can only speak for myself. I love my wife dearly and screwed the lid down tightly on polyamory for her, but I don't think I can do it again, not on this. Being a woman, as much as I can manage, is much too important. The last few months since I came to terms with my true self, even without HRT, without dressing, even with the worry about finally coming out to her, have been the happiest, calmest of my life. I can't go back, only forward, no idea how far forward, but only forward.

Catch me when I fall.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •