Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

found this news on my friend's FB

Started by @Diana, April 30, 2014, 12:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@Diana

•  

Jessica Merriman

Yet another grim reminder to be cautious and not mess with people by deception. I know there are some here who will disagree with my statement, but the picture is the proof. So glad he was caught and jailed and hope she recovers fully. :(
  •  

suzifrommd

Goes to show how cautious women have to be to avoid situations where we may not be safe.

But I'd like to make the point that it's not just transwomen that run this kind of risk. Thousands of cisgender women are assaulted each year under a variety of circumstances. Trans rage is only one trigger that men have who are prone to violence.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Asche

Quote from: suzifrommd on April 30, 2014, 06:41:20 AM
Trans rage is only one trigger that men have who are prone to violence.
Just want to reframe this as:

Quote"trans rage" is only one excuse that men who are prone to violence use to justify their violent behavior.

Your phrasing could be interpreted as going along with the notion that these men can't help being violent when they're "triggered" and thus the victim is somehow responsible for the violence, especially by people who already believe it.

No, I don't think you meant that, but it's amazing how many people buy into the trope that the (mostly female) victims of male abuse and violence are to blame for "setting him off."  My rephrasing was intended to make clear that these "triggers" are simply a pretext.
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

Nero

How awful. But yes, all women cis or trans, run the risk when dating. Guy expected something she wasn't ready to give? Beaten, raped, killed, etc. Pissed the guy off somehow? Same thing. And some are just sick and will harm for no reason. Just because they feel like it.

But yes, trans women are at increased risk. Please be careful out there, girls women. This kind of thing happens to women of all ages. Please be careful. Meet them in a public place. Tell someone where you're going and who you're going with. Cis girls learn this. You might not have. There are millions of dead and missing cis and trans women who trusted the wrong person. Or went on a date and never came back. Don't be a statistic.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

@Diana

a bit off topic but am still scared to go to country towns ..

heard that there are some homophobic who don't understand LBGT
  •  

Amy The Bookworm

Quote from: DianaVV on April 30, 2014, 11:37:49 PM
a bit off topic but am still scared to go to country towns ..

heard that there are some homophobic who don't understand LBGT

Given the way people think in the small Kansas town (population 450) that I live in ... your fears are justified. I'll definitely avoid them once I get out of here for the rest of my life.
  •  

Amy1988

Quote from: FA on April 30, 2014, 07:58:25 PM
How awful. But yes, all women cis or trans, run the risk when dating. Guy expected something she wasn't ready to give? Beaten, raped, killed, etc. Pissed the guy off somehow? Same thing. And some are just sick and will harm for no reason. Just because they feel like it.

But yes, trans women are at increased risk. Please be careful out there, girls women. This kind of thing happens to women of all ages. Please be careful. Meet them in a public place. Tell someone where you're going and who you're going with. Cis girls learn this. You might not have. There are millions of dead and missing cis and trans women who trusted the wrong person. Or went on a date and never came back. Don't be a statistic.

Not a problem for me.  I hate men and want nothing to do with them.  I'm neither attracted to nor find men attractive. 
  •