Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Was Kurt Cobain transgender?

Started by INgrid Alicia, June 08, 2014, 09:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INgrid Alicia

Well ... i have been been wondering , because im a very big fan of nirvana .. and i have found some quotes like these...

"Throughout my life, I've always been really close with girls and made friends with girls. And I've always been a really sickly, feminine person anyhow, so I thought I was gay for a while because I didn't find any of the girls in my high school attractive at all." - Kurt Cobain

"I definitely feel closer to the feminine side of the human being than I do the male - or the American idea of what a male is supposed to be. Just watch a beer commercial and you'll see what I mean." - Kurt Cobain.

And he also did a lot of crossdresing ...

Of course i know that now he is dead there is no way to prove my point.. i was wondering if anyone have thought that before? or .. what are your opinion about it?

It makes sense to me because all that pain and anger I hear in his songs...  :)

Thanks for reading!!
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. - Kurt Cobain.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: INgrid Alicia on June 08, 2014, 09:54:26 AM
Well ... i have been been wondering , because im a very big fan of nirvana .. and i have found some quotes like these...

"Throughout my life, I've always been really close with girls and made friends with girls. And I've always been a really sickly, feminine person anyhow, so I thought I was gay for a while because I didn't find any of the girls in my high school attractive at all." - Kurt Cobain

"I definitely feel closer to the feminine side of the human being than I do the male - or the American idea of what a male is supposed to be. Just watch a beer commercial and you'll see what I mean." - Kurt Cobain.

And he also did a lot of crossdresing ... here is a picture
http://disruptingdinnerparties.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/kurt-cobain-in-a-dress-cover-of-request-magazine.jpg

Of course i know that now he is dead there is no way to prove my point.. i was wondering if anyone have thought that before? or .. what are your opinion about it?

It makes sense to me because all that pain and anger I hear in his songs...  :)

Thanks for reading!!

I don't think there is enough evidence to say either way.  Those quotes alone really don't prove anything.   And I know plenty of men that feel exactly the same way.  It may say more about the rigid nature of gender roles and the repudiation of the "traditional American man" more than it does about his own gender.  I'd welcome Kurt into the trans club if he were, of course, but I'm just no sure that's really the case. 
  •  

ElDudette

Quote from: INgrid Alicia on June 08, 2014, 09:54:26 AM

Just to fan the theory flames, suicide rates amongst us are very high..........
"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you." --The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

"Does the caterpillars dream of one day taking to the sky on gossamer wings?
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: ElDudette on October 07, 2014, 12:13:47 AM

Just to fan the theory flames, suicide rates amongst us are very high..........

And a lot of us are left handed and play guitar, myself included.
  •  

Jess42

I agree with learning to live. Not enough evidence.

I will say that being to Courtney Love probably had a lot to do with it too. Fame if your not ready or strong enough to handle the scrutiny that comes with it. Who knows. He was a creative artist and that may have something to do with it too. But to me it doesn't really matter. But form what I understand and have heard it was more about Courtney Love and his daughter. :-\
  •  

perrystephens

I don't think so. I think he just enjoyed challenging the gender norms and wearing what he felt comfortable in. He also stood up for minority groups and I saw a quote somewhere where he said something like if you have a problem with a group of people because of their race or sexuality you're not welcome at our show and don't buy our albums. I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist of it. So maybe he was trying to make dresses and eyeliner trendy so the transgender community would be more comfortable with themselves. Or maybe he just liked dresses and didn't care what people think.
  •  

Kyler

I think it was Kurt Cobain who said that he wished he were gay just to be able to piss people off or make them uncomfortable... So I doubt he was. If he was, he probably would have been vocal about it?
I think he was just challenging gender norms as well.
  •  

Jill F

I honestly don't think he was.  He was the type who would have been pretty in your face about it.

Being married to Courtney Love, bipolar and an addict was probably the perfect sh*tstorm that led to his premature demise.
  •  

wallflowerXo

hmmmm, i'd be much more interested if this was a topic about freddy mercury, that man was THESIS work of human sexuality, but i do love me some cobaine yes i do.

Personally im of the opinion that Kurt was lost and probably a lonely kid who'd just been influenced by pop culture and didn't know how to express himself growing up, and he tried whatever seemed outrageous or taboo enough to push the envelope in other-words he was your typical artistic youth, make-up, slightly effeminate clothes, music, art, poetry, all this stuff was pretty prominent throughout the 70's and 80's and early 90's, that influence could account for a lot of his behavior and quotes,
I mean his own opinion of masuclinity had probably been totally redefined as he grew up as well, comparatively i think it would have been difficult for any young man to see brick laying or construction working or god forbid accounting as being 'masculine' when the guys like Bon Scott or Ozzy Osbourne, who run about in kilts and wear eye-liner then rake in a million dollars a night before they go "Swimmin in women". (i love that phrase lol)
Dont get me wrong, its entirely possibly he was trans, maybe 20 years from now some pyschiatrist will die and his patient register will list k.cobain as being on the waitlist of an Endo. apt. but till then who knows lol we'll all just have to speculate wildly :(
  •  

V M

Through the few interactions I had with him I could tell that he was struggling with various issues, he would seem kinda feminine sometimes but I dismissed as just being nice as that tends to be the way of doing music and or any entertainment venue

But then he'd suddenly become really angry, sarcastic and kind of aggressive and everyone would be confused as to what exactly he was pissed off about

First you'd be in 'the band' but he didn't feel like jamming, then you'd be out of 'the band' but he wanted to know how to play a particular riff from one of your songs

One of my keyboard friends said he as the same way on a tour he was involved in

But it doesn't really matter now that everything has played out the way it did
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

V M

Sorry, but some of us have actual personal memories
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •