Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

2014 FIFA World Cup

Started by Marcel, June 12, 2014, 02:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel

Not many people actively watch sports. I don't either but this is only once every 4 years and the only opportunity to go wild over who will win bragging rights until the 2018 World Cup in Russia. So far, we are waiting for the first round and see who comes out victorious. If you're new to the World Cup, here's a quick overview.

[NOTE]All times given are in U.S. Eastern Time (EST).

First Round

Thursday, June 12
4 p.m.: Brazil vs. Croatia at Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo (ESPN)
Score: (3-1) Brazil wins the game!

Friday, June 13
12 p.m.: Mexico vs. Cameroon at Estadio das Dunas, Natal (ESPN2)
3 p.m.: Spain vs. Netherlands at Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador (ESPN)
6 p.m.: Chile vs. Australia at Arena Pantanal, Cuiaba (ESPN2)

Saturday, June 14
12 p.m.: Colombia vs. Greece at Estádio Mineirao, Belo Horizonte (ABC)
3 p.m.: Uruguay vs. Costa Rica at Estádio Castelao, Fortaleza (ABC)
6 p.m.: England vs. Italy at Arena Amazonia, Manaus (ESPN)
9 p.m.: Ivory Coast vs. Japan at Arena Pernambuco, Recife (ESPN)

Sunday, June 15
12 p.m.: Switzerland vs. Ecuador at Estádio Nacional Mane Garrincha, Brasilia (ABC)
3 p.m.: France vs. Honduras at Estádio Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre (ABC)
6 p.m.: Argentina vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina at Estadio do Maracana, Rio de Janeiro (ESPN)

Monday, June 16
12 p.m.: Germany vs. Portugal at Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador (ESPN)
3 p.m.: Iran vs. Nigeria at Arena da Baixada, Curitiba (ESPN)
6 p.m.: Ghana vs. United States at Estadio das Dunas, Natal (ESPN)

Tuesday, June 17
12 p.m.: Belgium vs. Algeria at Estádio Mineirao, Belo Horizonte (ESPN)
3 p.m.: Brazil vs. Mexico at Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza (ESPN)
6 p.m.: Russia vs. South Korea at Arena Pantanal, Cuiaba (ESPN)

Wednesday, June 18
12 p.m.: Australia vs. Netherlands at Estadio Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre (ESPN)
3 p.m.: Spain vs. Chile at Estadio do Maracana, Rio de Janeiro (ESPN)
6 p.m.: Cameroon vs. Croatia at Arena Amazonia, Manaus (ESPN)

Thursday, June 19
12 p.m.: Colombia vs. Ivory Coast at Estadio Nacional Mane Garrincha, Brasilia (ESPN)
3 p.m.: Uruguay vs. England at Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo (ESPN)
6 p.m.: Japan vs. Greece at Estadio das Dunas, Natal (ESPN)

Friday, June 20
12 p.m.: Italy vs. Costa Rica at Arena Pernambuco, Recife (ESPN)
3 p.m.: Switzerland vs. France at Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador (ESPN)
6 p.m.: Honduras vs. Ecuador at Arena da Baixada, Curitiba (ESPN)

Saturday, June 21
12 p.m.: Argentina vs. Iran at Estadio Mineirao, Belo Horizonte (ESPN)
3 p.m.: Germany vs. Ghana at Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza (ESPN)
6 p.m.: Nigeria vs. Bosnia Herzegovina at Arena Pantanal, Cuiaba (ESPN)

Sunday, June 22
12 p.m.: Belgium vs. Russia at Estadio do Maracana, Rio de Janeiro (ABC)
3 p.m.: South Korea vs. Algeria at Estadio Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre (ABC)
6 p.m.: United States vs. Portugal at Arena Amazonia, Manaus (ESPN)

Your thoughts? So far, the favorites to win are Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal.
  •  

helen2010

Marcel

Agree re your favourites but also fancy Chile, Belguim and Uruguay if Suarez holds up.  Italy and Germany looked poor in the build up but always do well

Thought Croatia were very good today and, but for a very dubious penalty and a disallowed goal, would have been dancing samba in the streets rather than Brazil.

Aisla
  •  

helen2010

Marcel

On second thoughts I don't think Portugal will do well.  Ronaldo is carrying an injury and their depth is not great  if Christiano is below par or misses a game.  Would love to see the Netherlands, France and England do well but getting out of the Group stage looks a bridge too far this time around.

Aisla
  •  

immortal gypsy

Hi Marcel well I'm a sports nut so I'm glad you started this thread.

Aisla the problem with Chile is that group B is the true group of death. In this group who wants to come 2nd, because they should end up facing Brazil. For and against will matter here, and defensively I don't believe Australia are as weak as people are saying.

Oh and for all you fans of the beautiful game, I want to gloat here. I work for my states gambling organization (please gamble responsibly, when it stops being fun for you please don't hesitate to reach out and call someone). So I will be getting paid to watch the World Cup.

Now 'Let's all play some football'
Do not fear those who have nothing left to lose, fear those who are prepared to lose it all

Si vis bellum, parra pacem
  •  

Marcel

Quote from: immortal gypsy on June 12, 2014, 06:26:53 PM
Hi Marcel well I'm a sports nut so I'm glad you started this thread.

Aisla the problem with Chile is that group B is the true group of death. In this group who wants to come 2nd, because they should end up facing Brazil. For and against will matter here, and defensively I don't believe Australia are as weak as people are saying.

Oh and for all you fans of the beautiful game, I want to gloat here. I work for my states gambling organization (please gamble responsibly, when it stops being fun for you please don't hesitate to reach out and call someone). So I will be getting paid to watch the World Cup.

Now 'Let's all play some football'

Haha, I hear you on that one. Did you see today's game?
That first goal for Croatia was embarrasing, especially when it was done by Marcelo (Brasil).
  •  

helen2010

Marcel

I agree but the referee was probably a greater embarrassment

Immortal gypsy

Agree that Chile's group is the toughest. This is Australia's weakest team in 20 years. They don't have a cutting edge but are fit, well structured and play good football  the team is extremely young and it us a complete and very recent rebuild.  Probably do best in 4 or even 8 years (unless WC is still played in the summer in the ME, then all bets will be off)

•  

Natalia

I am sicerely hoping Brazil to lose this world Cup...

And I hated the opening ceremony...again, it showed nothing more than stereotypes.

•  

immortal gypsy

World sporting event bad refereeing decisions. Stop the presses, next thing people will be telling us that Deiago kicked that ball into the back of the net in 86

@Marcel all own goals are embarrassing no matter who you are
@Aisla. Ange is lucky in that he has been given a charter to rebuild and he did that with the Brisbane side in the A-League. While he wants to do well the ultimate goal for this side is the Asian championship in two years. Hopefully he is still around in four years in Russia.
@Natalia. Most of the money I've seen this week has been going on Argentina, England (football's coming home) and a strange surprise Belgium. Only the once a year players where putting money on Brazil so maybe you could get lucky. One thing I've learnt is that you can never expect the favorite to turn up a win, that's why we play the game
Do not fear those who have nothing left to lose, fear those who are prepared to lose it all

•  

Marcel

Next game is Mexico vs Cameroon. Can't wait!
  •  

helen2010

As long as the Aussies keep within 3 goals they will have met expectations.   Closer results will be a bonus.  Ange is still learning. If he is given another 4 years then both he and the team will be better for this experience.   
With the smell of corruption over hanging the beautiful game perhaps the best result for true football fans would be Blatter's resignation, but that is a little like expecting pigs to fly.
  •  

helen2010

Marcel

Should be a tight game but am tipping  a draw or a Cameroon win   How do you see it?

Spain v The Netherlands in a replay of the last WC final should be a great game.  Should be a draw or a Spanish victory

Aisla
  •  

Emily1996

•  

Marcel

Quote from: Aisla on June 13, 2014, 10:17:22 AM
Marcel

Should be a tight game but am tipping  a draw or a Cameroon win   How do you see it?

Spain v The Netherlands in a replay of the last WC final should be a great game.  Should be a draw or a Spanish victory

Aisla

Mexico vs Cameroon (1-0) was as expected but Spain (1-4) got its butt handed to them by the Dutch.
  •  

immortal gypsy

Quote from: Marcel on June 13, 2014, 03:32:28 PM
Mexico vs Cameroon (1-0) was as expected but Spain (1-4) got its butt handed to them by the Dutch.
Now now Marcel there is still 12+injury remaining.
That first goal by the The Netherlands was brilliant to watch but soft defense.

Update Robben GOAL!!!! 1-5

•  

Marcel

Quote from: immortal gypsy on June 13, 2014, 03:41:11 PM
Now now Marcel there is still 12+injury remaining.
That first goal by the The Netherlands was brilliant to watch but soft defense.

Update Robben GOAL!!!! 1-5

Oh well, there's always Brazil and Argentina. ;-;
  •  

Sylvie

•  

Marcel

Quote from: Sylvie on June 20, 2014, 02:17:33 PM
I'm rooting for Italy, too. Forza Italia!!

They lost to Costa Rica today.
  •  

Emily1996

Whatever u_u ITALY FOREVER!
  •  

helen2010

What a fantastic tournament. So much quality and such great entertainment. France, Costa Rica, The Netherlands, Chile, Brazil, Germany each absolutely brilliant.  Keep the goals coming.

Aisla
  •  

ThePersona

The Belgium/USA game was so intense! Too bad I had to tape it in order to watch it later due to family drama. But still it was So intense! That new kid Green omg he is so good! Better than Dempsey
3DS Name: Harrison (from pre-transition)
3DS friend code: 0791 3145 5772

Not sure if anyone really cares lol, if you add me just pm me with yours.

I pretty much only play Pokemon Y
  •