Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Petition - Allow transgender people to amend their Tennessee birth certificates

Started by blink, June 30, 2014, 07:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eris

I refuse to live in fear! Come hell or high water I will not back down! I will live my life!
But you have no life.
Ha. Even that won't stop me.

I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

•  

Sydney_NYC

Signed!!!! and Being born in TN, Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! I'm sharing this on FB for my friends to sign, many are in TN.

I was just thinking about this today as I would love to get the existing law that prevents it from being changed challenged as unconstitutional. It would be a long fight, but would love to see it done.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

awilliams1701

Signed. I'm in north Alabama takes about 20 minutes to get to Tennessee from here.
Ashley
  •  

ThePersona

Let's see, if I leave right now I can be in Tennessee in about 5 hours, sounds good. Signed
3DS Name: Harrison (from pre-transition)
3DS friend code: 0791 3145 5772

Not sure if anyone really cares lol, if you add me just pm me with yours.

I pretty much only play Pokemon Y
  •  

gennee

Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Yarngeek

Thanks so much for posting this. I can feel myself changing the world already.
  •  

Jeneva

Signed, I was born and live in TN.

Not only can't we change our birth certificates, but even with a letter stating irreversible changes written to SSA specs, it will be changed back.  I had my SSA marker changed for maybe 2 months before they changed it back because a letter wasn't enough they wanted a birth certificate.  When I questioned them they said SSA administrators are state level and ours chooses to not accept changes.  Since I'm on SSDI this means a big deal to me.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Sydney_NYC

Quote from: Jeneva on December 16, 2014, 07:25:40 AM
Signed, I was born and live in TN.

Not only can't we change our birth certificates, but even with a letter stating irreversible changes written to SSA specs, it will be changed back.  I had my SSA marker changed for maybe 2 months before they changed it back because a letter wasn't enough they wanted a birth certificate.  When I questioned them they said SSA administrators are state level and ours chooses to not accept changes.  Since I'm on SSDI this means a big deal to me.

I think TN is the most transphobic and homophobic state at a government level in the country. Fortunately many cities and towns are more friendly to the LGBT community, just not in state government. I was in Knoxville around Thanksgiving and one night I had dinner with my cousin who is a real estate broker there. Her business partner has a granddaughter that is transgender MtF and her mother is a Knox county school teacher. The school system will not do anything to support her even though the school principle and other teachers want to, they are not allowed to. I've sent her some information of the federal mandates for school systems that receive federal funding, so we will see what happens.

Given that latest victory from Transgender Law Center of the Indiana case (IN, OH, and TN) do not allow birth certificate changes on gender. I'm would love to see them tackle TN next. Tennessee is the only state that has a statue specifically against transgender individuals, the other stated simply refuse to provide a process to change the gender. TN doesn't just stop there. Jut for a name change, they cross out your old name, but still readable, and put your new name on top of it. Because of these two things, I just never bothered to change my birth certificate since I can use my corrected passport instead of a birth certificate.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

awilliams1701

I know this isn't exactly trans or homo related, but Alabama has laws making it illegal to purchase adult toys online. It is one of five states. Unless Tennessee is one of them I would say that makes Alabama pretty backwards in comparison.

Quote from: Sydney_NYC on December 16, 2014, 10:08:01 PM
I think TN is the most transphobic and homophobic state at a government level in the country. Fortunately many cities and towns are more friendly to the LGBT community, just not in state government. I was in Knoxville around Thanksgiving and one night I had dinner with my cousin who is a real estate broker there. Her business partner has a granddaughter that is transgender MtF and her mother is a Knox county school teacher. The school system will not do anything to support her even though the school principle and other teachers want to, they are not allowed to. I've sent her some information of the federal mandates for school systems that receive federal funding, so we will see what happens.

Given that latest victory from Transgender Law Center of the Indiana case (IN, OH, and TN) do not allow birth certificate changes on gender. I'm would love to see them tackle TN next. Tennessee is the only state that has a statue specifically against transgender individuals, the other stated simply refuse to provide a process to change the gender. TN doesn't just stop there. Jut for a name change, they cross out your old name, but still readable, and put your new name on top of it. Because of these two things, I just never bothered to change my birth certificate since I can use my corrected passport instead of a birth certificate.
Ashley
  •