Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

GSN gameshow "without prejudice"

Started by RebeccaFog, July 26, 2007, 05:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebeccaFog

Hi,

I saw a new gameshow on the GSN network.  The show is named "without prejudice", but it is anything but.  I( knew it going to be stupid, but it turned out to be offensive.
   On the first episode (it's weekly), 5 'normal everyday people' look over 5 other people and eliminate each contestant until there is one left who gets the $25,000 prize.

In the first round, the contestants only introduce themselves.  the regular people decided they didn't like a man because he was from texas and people from texas are uneducated bigots. They voted him out knowing really only his name, his accent, and that he was from texas.  It turned out he was going to school, he was gay, a trucker, and he flew airplanes.
    Some of their other considerations were that an older man looked like a pedophile and a drunk.  They had other stupid opinions too concerning the others.

In the next round, they discovered that one of the women was from hong kong and she was a preop transexual.  This was a nice young woman who expressed herself quite well.  Well, the "judges" had something to talk about. I think several may have been tolerant, or tried to seem tolerant. One came right out and said, "If you're born a man, you should stay a man."
   I don't remember their deliberations upon the other contestants, but, of course the one to go was the TS woman.  The reason being, if I remember correctly, she was going to use the money frivolously.  All the woman said is that she was looking forward to completing her transition and going to college.

At his point, I just wanted to punch the judges, but basically tuned out for the rest of the game.  I watched it because my Gf has a game show jones and she wanted to see this new one.  Afterwards, she didn't like it either.  Some of the other prejudices that came up were for interracial marriage, and some really petty judgmental things concerning the others.  By the time the Trans woman was tossed, they all decided they liked the old guy who they had originally thought a drunk and a child molester.

Anyway, this show actually pushes people to be prejudiced as you make your choices depending upon very little information. The first choice is the worst because they judge a person upon what they look like and one tiny little introduction of name and location.

I have no point, but to let it be known that this stupid show exists, and that the first victims were a misjudged gay man and a woman who admitted to wanting SRS.

What was really aggravating to me are the arbitrarily viscous judgments made upon people based on appearance alone.  I mean, why would these idiot 'judges' think the game show people would actually round up a pedophile and a gang member or thief to be eligible for $25,000?  There is NO REASON for any civilized person to sit in a public forum and make such unsubstantiated claims concerning strangers.  The contestants are obviously just GAME SHOW contestants, not lowlifes rounded up to get a prize.

Sorry, maybe I should have tossed this into PMS zone, but I thought it not only encourages discrimination but also revels in it.
  •  

Cindi Jones

Thanks for the review Rebis.  That's one I'll put on my do not waste my time with list.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

MaryEllen

I've seen the promos on GSN. My first reaction was, what a pile of crap and I guess I wasn't too far off the mark. I definately won't be watching this pile of doggy doo.

MaryEllen  >:(
Live for today. Tomorrow is not promised
  •  

mavieenrose

There's a programme like that here in France too at the moment, called 'Secret Story' (http://secret-story.tf1.fr/secret-story/).

It includes amongst others an exotic dancer, a set of triplets preparing to be just one person and then the obligatory trans person (Erwan, FTM).

I've not watched it, but I've seen a few extracts on the Web and it doesn't look all that great...

MVER XXX
  •  

TransGirl1

luckily this game was short lived i know its been years since this post was active but these predjudices got the game canceled the game only aired in the us for not even a full season
  •  

Jacqueline

Please accept a really late welcome to the site.

Yes this topic is pretty old. We would call it a necro post. That show looks pretty offensive.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to look through them, please take a moment:

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•