Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Chipmunk experts out there?

Started by Claire (formerly Magdalena), July 23, 2014, 03:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claire (formerly Magdalena)

My dog finally caught her first chipmunk a few minutes ago. I looked away and when I looked back to see what she was doing she had whipped her head around a bit and dropped what was in her mouth.

So there it was on its side with one rear leg just twitching. That slowed to a stop after about a minute. It seemed dead. I moved away to get the dog back on the leash (it's a yard behind my apartment with fence, no roads, no cars). Anyway, as I moved back its little eye opened and it watched me but still lay there. I took the dog across the yard and tried to get it to focus on the ball but she just wanted to return to the chipmunk. I stopped look at it from a short distance, it was breathing and had rolled over to its stomach but it was stretched out and still prone in the grass.

Do chipmunks play dead? Could the little guy be okay? I don't know what to do. Trying not to cry.  :'(

I'd rather see the world from another angle
We are everyday angels
Be careful with me 'cause I'd like to stay that way

•  

JulieBlair

Sadly, the poor thing probably has internal injuries.  There isn't much you can do - a tear is okay :(
j
I am my own best friend and my own worst enemy.  :D
Full Time 18 June 2014
Esprit can be found at http://espritconf.com/
  •  

Claire (formerly Magdalena)

It's gone. I cried for a bit and then decided crying wasn't good enough. I went to go see if the poor thing was still alive out there, maybe I could take it to an animal hospital. Little guy's gone. I hope that means he's off to tell an exciting story to his chipmunk friends.

I still feel awful but it's better than seeing a chipmunk corpse out there...

I'd rather see the world from another angle
We are everyday angels
Be careful with me 'cause I'd like to stay that way

•  

JulieBlair

I am my own best friend and my own worst enemy.  :D
Full Time 18 June 2014
Esprit can be found at http://espritconf.com/
  •  

Jess42

It was probably shock more than anything. Little animals are pretty tough so if it would have been too injured it probably wouldn't have got up and got the hell out of Dodge. I don't know if Chipmunks specifically play dead but I doubt it it was too injured, just too afraid to move while you and your dog were too close to it.
  •