News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I am exempt from the laws of the Bible!

Started by Aeyra, July 31, 2007, 04:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeyra

Here is a way to refute anyone who tells you that LGBT people are immoral:

I am not a child of Adam and Eve. I am a child of Lilith so I am not affected by original sin nor do I have to follow the priesthood laws of the Bible. The Old and New Testaments do not apply to me since I am not of Adam and Eve's blood, so the religious types that argue that homosexuality or TG is immoral are preaching to the wrong person. The Bible is a legal document and I am not of the applicable lineage.

Tell that to the SBC.  ;D
  •  

Pica Pica

i have a get out of hell free card, so i'm fine
  •  

Jonie

Love your neighbor as you would yourself,
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you
Do you agree with this?
  •  

Pica Pica

depends whether you self harm i suppose.
  •  

Cindi Jones

"Why would I live by a collection of writings put together by people who's only qualifications were that they could read and write 2 thousand years ago?  Isn't that like collecting a stack of National Enquirers from the sixties and putting together a religious work?  That's about the only qualification its writers have!"

I've been known to say that on occasion when faced with a sure to be religious argument.  If you can't accept the Bible as authoritative, then how can the bigot use it as a common reference?  It sometimes works.  Usually not.

The easiest thing is to have them read the verse on Eunuchs.  That works better than anything else.  For these people have selectively read the Bible.  They usually haven't read the work in its entirety and have totally missed those references.  (FWIW, I have read it all.... several times... Now I think that once would have been sufficient)

I don't write this to put it down.  I only offer it to those who are faced with a barrage of Bible thumpers.

Cindi

Posted on: July 31, 2007, 02:36:33 PM
Quote from: Jonie on July 31, 2007, 04:26:00 PM
Do you agree with this?

These things are common sense and are generally a part of all the great world religions.  They are not uniquely Christian principles.  Most atheists I know are better Christians than they realize!

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Jessica

QuoteLove your neighbor as you would yourself,
Do you agree with this?

Quotedepends whether you self harm i suppose

hahahhaha *breathes* hahahha!

brilliant!

Seriously, I haven't laughed like that in years, thank you.

Jessica
  •  

RebeccaFog

Do you agree with this?

No.  If I did unto my neighbors as I do unto myself, I would be a sex offender.  So, I do not do that to them. :P

same goes for loving myself, obviously.  double --->  :P  :P

Posted on: July 31, 2007, 05:50:57 PM
Quote from: Cindi Jones on July 31, 2007, 04:38:16 PM
"Why would I live by a collection of writings put together by people who's only qualifications were that they could read and write 2 thousand years ago?  Isn't that like collecting a stack of National Enquirers from the sixties and putting together a religious work?  That's about the only qualification its writers have!"

I've been known to say that on occasion when faced with a sure to be religious argument.  If you can't accept the Bible as authoritative, then how can the bigot use it as a common reference?  It sometimes works.  Usually not.

The easiest thing is to have them read the verse on Eunuchs.  That works better than anything else.  For these people have selectively read the Bible.  They usually haven't read the work in its entirety and have totally missed those references.  (FWIW, I have read it all.... several times... Now I think that once would have been sufficient)

I don't write this to put it down.  I only offer it to those who are faced with a barrage of Bible thumpers.

Cindi

Posted on: July 31, 2007, 02:36:33 PM
Do you agree with this?

These things are common sense and are generally a part of all the great world religions.  They are not uniquely Christian principles.  Most atheists I know are better Christians than they realize!

Cindi

Don't forget it was written by people in the middle east.  Our enemies.  Now, why are you following the laws of our enemies?  Please. Step into my torture chamber, Chump.
  •  

Cindi Jones

Oh Morticia, I bout died watching that vid.

Oh that is too funny!  I can't believe it.

cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Jay

•  

RebeccaFog

Apparently, the almighty and all knowing Bible doesn't have a 'stop for pedestrian' law for vehicles.

Haw
  •  

Lisbeth

Well, if you're not Jewish then you're exempt from the Old Testament.  And if you're not a Christian then you're exempt from the New Testament.  And if you're not a Catholic or Orthodox then you're exempt from the Apocrypha.  So the problem is dealing with people who think that the United States (or whichever country you live in) is a theocracy (and there are plenty of them).
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

David W. Shelton

Hey guys, sorry I've been away so long... this is the height of my travel season with my regular job, so it's been wicked busy lately. Whew!

Anyway, someone brought this video to my attention, and they were very offended buy it. Having watched it, I can understand why.

The Spirituality forum has as its purpose to discuss matters of faith out of respect for each other. I'm really not sure if this video fits. I'll leave it up for now, but please, consider why Christians would be offended. After all, there are several members of this site who are Christian. I welcome anyone to contact me directly with their thoughts on this video. My first impression is that its intent is to belittle Christianity and to offend Christians by showing an abject mockery of Christ. If that's its intent, then this video should be removed. I know I don't appreciate it or find the humor in it. I'm not a stiff by any means, but how is this even satire?

Also, as we continue this topic, let's be careful about how we discuss. There is quite a lot of Christian theology regarding the laws of the Bible. Even Christ Himself followed the law, and shucked the notion that no one should even lift a finger on the Sabbath, which really angered the religious leaders of the day.

The Law of Moses is extensive, and even modern Jews don't always adhere to all of them since they're so outdated and outlandish. It's only the conservative Orthodox Jews who attempt to follow them all.

Every brand of faith has its method of dealing with rules. It's human nature to want to have "rules" to live by so we can be free within those boundaries. Even those who claim to have no "rules" live freely within their boundaries, even though they might be limitless.

I submit that Christianity isn't about rules. It's about love; showing love to everyone, even those who hate us.

•  

David W. Shelton

Thanks, Morticia!

I'd like to refer everyone to the Ten Commandments of the Spirituality Forum so we can keep things going a bit more smoothly in the future!

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,13517.0.html

See you all in cyberland!

David
  •  

Kimberly

Quote from: David W. Shelton on August 04, 2007, 08:20:58 AM
I submit that Christianity isn't about rules. It's about love; showing love to everyone, even those who hate us.
David, you get a cookie for that...

Quote from: morticia on August 04, 2007, 12:30:54 PM
I am a militant Atheist.
I was ;) It is kind of fun how things work out really.
Um, feel free to PM if you would like, just on the off chance you would like to know why I was but am not now, not that I identify with any religion mind.
  •  

RebeccaFog

Quote from: Kimberly on August 04, 2007, 07:29:41 PM

I am a militant Atheist.
Um, feel free to PM if you would like, just on the off chance you would like to know why I was but am not now, not that I identify with any religion mind.

Okay, let's switch this topic into "I'm more religier than thou" mode.   ;D  (only kidding)   No offense. I'm spiritual too.
  •  

David W. Shelton

Quote from: Rebis on August 04, 2007, 07:59:38 PM
Quote from: Kimberly on August 04, 2007, 07:29:41 PM

I am a militant Atheist.

Okay, let's switch this topic into "I'm more religier than thou" mode.   ;D  (only kidding)   No offense. I'm spiritual too.
I'm definitely more religier than most. I have five cats. They all think they're gods.

So much for that second commandment, eh?
  •  

Dennis

Quote from: David W. Shelton on August 04, 2007, 09:12:42 PM
I'm definitely more religier than most. I have five cats. They all think they're gods.

So much for that second commandment, eh?

I must be monotheistic. I only have one cat.

Dennis
  •  

Cindi Jones

Hey, kids, cats are religious symbols and play an important part in my faith.  Please, be careful. Okay?

;)

Cindi

Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

The Middle Way

As for religion, I don't believe in it.  At all.  I absolutely reject it in all forms.
I am a militant Atheist.

as I understand it, militant means ready and willing to take up arms for what you believe in... capital 'A'?

;)
  •  

RebeccaFog

•