Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Returning to where you grew up...

Started by allisonsteph, August 30, 2014, 11:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allisonsteph

I was born and raised in New York State and lived there until I was 30. I had a driver's license from the age of 17 until I left. That license had a "M" gender marker. I moved to California in 1998 and transitioned within the last year including legally changing my name and gender. Due to some unfortunate experiences I have had to return to New York State to live.

My question is does anyone have experience returning to a state where they were previously licensed after legally changing their name and gender in a different state? Were there any problems or issues when obtaining a new driver's license?
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

mrs izzy

I do not feel you will have any problems,

Think most DMV ask for proof of id and 2 forms of residency.

Check and see if NY has a website that give instructions on changing out of state drivers license.

Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

tgchar21

Often times when a state checks the files with the SSN given it may show up that you've been licensed there before under a different name/gender. They may ask for proof of the changes, but ultimately you shouldn't have any more problems than someone with an existing license from there changing it.
  •  

Sydney_NYC

Quote from: allisonsteph on August 30, 2014, 11:20:01 AM
I was born and raised in New York State and lived there until I was 30. I had a driver's license from the age of 17 until I left. That license had a "M" gender marker. I moved to California in 1998 and transitioned within the last year including legally changing my name and gender. Due to some unfortunate experiences I have had to return to New York State to live.

My question is does anyone have experience returning to a state where they were previously licensed after legally changing their name and gender in a different state? Were there any problems or issues when obtaining a new driver's license?

I doubt it since it's been so long. Most states only keep driving record information for 2-5 years at most. I had a NY driver's license from 16 till I was 21. I remember my old driver's license number being ridiculously long (over 16 digits long due to having all these codes in the numbers). The driver's license number on NY DL are now much shorter than they used to be. I noticed this a few months ago when a friend show me their NY DL. So hopefully when they changed the numbering system, they purged all the old information.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

Zumbagirl

I live a couple of miles from where I grew up after having lived in CT for several years. I've had no problems. I was already post transition when I moved back. No one recognIzed me or figured me out in all these years. If course I don't go putting myself out on a limb or go out of my way to contact anyone from my past. I have a new life with new friends and I don't feel much if
Any connection with friends from the past. Hope that helps!!
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: Sydney_NYC on August 30, 2014, 11:59:46 PM
I doubt it since it's been so long. Most states only keep driving record information for 2-5 years at most. I had a NY driver's license from 16 till I was 21. I remember my old driver's license number being ridiculously long (over 16 digits long due to having all these codes in the numbers). The driver's license number on NY DL are now much shorter than they used to be. I noticed this a few months ago when a friend show me their NY DL. So hopefully when they changed the numbering system, they purged all the old information.

I remember those! In fact when I was moving I found my first license in my lock box. I left here after they changed the numbering system, but it has been many, many years.

I am not sure how long I am going to stay here. I'm pretty miserable. I was happier living on the streets in California.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •