Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Using My Preferred Name

Started by 2fish, October 03, 2014, 07:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2fish

Today I needed to get a new tire for my car. So I went to my local Firestone to get one installed. I walked in and instantly got Sir'ed. I'm pre-T. Cool. So the guy is helping me out asking me what I need. Then he asks me for my name and I panicked. I give him my preferred name. My driver's license still has my birth name on it. So I'm about to pull it out and he goes, No you can't put that away and instead just asked my for my info. Score! I also signed my new signature on my paperwork. It was pretty cool. I'm in the middle of a name change and it's going to take a few months to get done. This was my "First Time" using my Preferred name and Signature! It felt amazing!

What was your first time using your Preferred name?
http://www.gender158.com (A Trans-Masculine Resource Website)
  •  

Mariah

My first time using my preferred name somewhere other than at home or online was at a doctor's appointment. My first signature was the same day my name change was completed when It went into the Department of Licensing.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Foxglove

Yeah, it's great when you start using your real name.  I think the first for me was when I got my library card switched over to my real name, even though it wasn't my legal name at that point.  The people in our local library are the best.
  •  

And_go

That must have felt amazing!

The closest I've come so far was in a role play exercise during training at work. One of us had to 'pretend' to be a man so guess who volunteered... When I introduced myself as Andrew it just felt so right. Setting up a new email address and stuff was good too but it'll be great to do it as myself in real life.
  •  

Hikari

Hmm, I think it was probably an order at Starbucks to be the first time I used my female name with a company. I haven't got the legal change yet, but I get mail under my new name from lots of places.

The first time I ever introduced myself was a much bigger thing in my mind, god it felt so great to go up to a group of people and just be me.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Mitchell the Deathbell

In addition to being "sir'ed" (I'm so using that word now, haha) while being pre-T and being able to use your preferred name must be awesome.
The only times I've used my preferred name is on online gaming, and on the internet (like Facebook). I'm looking into getting a name change, but I'm debating whether I should let my family know about the changes I plan on doing before I do them. I'm over 18 though, so I won't need anyone's permission to do anything... but out of consideration it would probably be best to let my family know first. Whether they'll accept my plans is another story.
"Whoops, there it goes... Yep. My brain stopped."
  •  

2fish

Quote from: Mitchell the Deathbell on October 12, 2014, 12:16:47 AM
In addition to being "sir'ed" (I'm so using that word now, haha) while being pre-T and being able to use your preferred name must be awesome.
The only times I've used my preferred name is on online gaming, and on the internet (like Facebook). I'm looking into getting a name change, but I'm debating whether I should let my family know about the changes I plan on doing before I do them. I'm over 18 though, so I won't need anyone's permission to do anything... but out of consideration it would probably be best to let my family know first. Whether they'll accept my plans is another story.

I have yet to tell my family that I will be changing my name. Only one that knows is 1 sibling and my boss along with 2 coworkers.
http://www.gender158.com (A Trans-Masculine Resource Website)
  •  

Gothic Dandy

That's awesome! I'm happy for you! I've yet to have that moment myself, though...I'm too terrified, and I think a big part of it is that I don't feel like a Luca. It feels like a persona more than a name for my Self. It suits me on the internet, but seems strange in real life. The only two names I do like better are very gendered, not at all androgynous.
Just a little faerie punk floating through this strange world of humans.
  •  

EvanAidan

The first time I used mine I had went to get my oil changed. It was an awesome feeling because I am a regular at the place I get my oil changed, and when I gave them my preferred name, the guy looked at me smiled and said thanks evan it will be about 20 minutes. :) it felt awesome!
  •  

AdamMLP

The first time I had my name used in any sort of official capacity was the day before I came out to everyone, and the date on my deed poll.  The admin at work knew as we'd been coordinating how all this was going to happen, and they'd booked me a train ticket to get back from a routine medical.  As I wasn't yet out, on the envelope, and in the enclosed letter to me and the other person going explaining where and when we had to be places, was the name I was born with, however on the ticket was "Mr A C----".  The women who printed off the ticket happened to be looking out the window when I opened it and saw my reaction to seeing it.  It was amazing in that they didn't have to do that for me, yet they still did.

The first time I wrote it was the day after, the first day after I'd come out, and I was doing some technical drawing.  I asked if I could finish it off after we had our morning break as I was unsure whether I was supposed to be putting my name to things, or whether it would cause issues with certification.  He just looked confused and said, "As far as I'm concerned your name is Alex," and that was that.
  •  

Foxglove

Quote from: lxndr on October 16, 2014, 03:04:01 AM

The first time I wrote it . . .

I had a funny experience after I changed my name: I realized I couldn't write it.  My handwriting is awful, and I was appalled when I saw what my new signature would look like.  I decided I couldn't live with it.

So I got on my computer, looked at various fonts, chose one I liked, and began practicing writing my name like that.  With a lot of work, I got it to where it was looking acceptable, if not brilliant.  I still practice it quite often so I don't lose my touch.

Everybody here can laugh at me if you want--but my signature at least is legible and presentable, whatever about anything else I write.
  •  

Mariah

My first signature of my legal name after getting the court order was at DOL and it wasn't terrible, but still laughable. Still needs practice though, but it isn't terrible. My handwriting before was awful though so it's a step up.
Mariah
Quote from: Foxglove on October 16, 2014, 05:18:20 AM
I had a funny experience after I changed my name: I realized I couldn't write it.  My handwriting is awful, and I was appalled when I saw what my new signature would look like.  I decided I couldn't live with it.

So I got on my computer, looked at various fonts, chose one I liked, and began practicing writing my name like that.  With a lot of work, I got it to where it was looking acceptable, if not brilliant.  I still practice it quite often so I don't lose my touch.

Everybody here can laugh at me if you want--but my signature at least is legible and presentable, whatever about anything else I write.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

AdamMLP

Quote from: Foxglove on October 16, 2014, 05:18:20 AM

Quote from: Mariah2014 on October 16, 2014, 06:08:42 AM
My first signature of my legal name after getting the court order was at DOL and it wasn't terrible, but still laughable. Still needs practice though, but it isn't terrible. My handwriting before was awful though so it's a step up.
Mariah

Yup, I can definitely relate to that!  I got my deed poll (document to change name in the UK) and realised I had to sign it.  I spent a good 10 minutes doing it over and over again, and it's still ended up changing in the 6 months since then.  I'm just a lot more lazy with writing it these days as I have to sign at least once every day I'm at work, but I actually prefer it this way.  I could never write the name my parents gave me though, my 'Z's always looked awkward.

When I got that document I realised it was the first time I'd seen it printed on paper, even though I'd typed it before and handwritten it.  I was shocked at how posh "Mr Alexander Luke C-------" looked written down!
  •  

devention

My first time was at university. I'd decided I was going to use my preferred name, so we were doing the introductions and I said, "my legal name is 'birthname' but please call me Ben". I'd never felt so confident, and nobody blinked am eye
The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

•  

Illuminess

Well, the official first time would be on this forum, and then setting up a new Facebook account. The first time anyone ever called me Arin in person was here at home, and I wasn't expecting it. It's actually a little weird to hear; mainly because I don't really look like "Arin" at the moment, so it feels a bit premature. I'm certainly not asking anyone to stop, though!
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •  

Pim

I've always found it really difficult to write a capital P without turning it into an R - no idea why, it's not my birth initial or anything like that.  Think I need to get over that before I can start writing Pim properly!

I used it first in real life when getting my first short haircut - at a queer place though and I wasn't trying to pass.  The barber said something later about it being easy to pronounce and I almost corrected him as my birth name is a lot more difficult.
  •  

ImagineKate

I am just using mine with my therapist and online now.

I am also working on a new signature.

It's going to suck when I change my name because I have a metric ton of Government documents to do so with... so much so that I have an attorney on retainer to help me.
  •  

elize

I am in process with name/gender marker change also, awesome!
  •  

awilliams1701

This is my biggest issue ATM. I'm never sure which name is appropriate. The doctor's office has been very accommodating by calling me Ashley, but my medication had to be prescribed under Allen for legal reasons. I felt a little strange at the DMV yesterday and knew I had no choice but to stick with Allen. I'm so comfortable and used to Ashley now that Allen feels strange.
Ashley
  •  

Illuminess

Has anyone ever changed their mind about their new name after having used it for a while?
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •