Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Orchiectomy Questions

Started by Rose City Rose, October 10, 2014, 01:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose City Rose

I've decided I'm not ready to make the decision to get full SRS; in the mean time, I'm considering an orchiectomy for a number of reasons, but I had some questions:

1. Will it make it harder if I decide to get SRS later? I've heard differing stories on this; some say that it will make the scrotum shrink which will give you less skin to work with, but some say it's not that big of a deal (this is what Dr. Bowers says on her website). The fact is I'm still not sure full SRS is for me but I would like it to be a viable option because I'm kind of worried that orchi alone might feel like a job half-done after the stitches heal.

2. How will my libido post-orchi compare to my libido now, after about 18 months on HRT? I don't have much of a libido but I can still misbehave if I want to. Will that be pretty much the same?

3. Are there any potential complications I need to be concerned about with this procedure?

Advice, experience, and knowledge would be much appreciated.
*Started HRT January 2013
*Name and gender marker changed September 2014
*Approved and issued letters for surgery September 2015
*Surgery Consultation November 2015
*Preop electrolysis October 2016-March 2019
*GRS April 3 2019
I DID IT!!!
[/color]
  •  

Flan

Yes there is a good chance the scrotal skin will shrink. When it happens depends on a couple things but it generally takes a year or so.

Libido will probably be the same given the same mindset.

Complications can include local infection (not likely), spot bleeding (common, wear ultra-thin pads for 2 weeks or so) and local pain (expected from the nature of the surgery, rx pain meds are for a couple days at most then otc meds). Bruising tends to be mild. The first injection for local anesthesia tends to be the worst but it's easy going from there. Finally during the procedure it'll feel funny when the testies are pulled for the snip.  ;D
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

herekitten

Flan-- I loooooove the happy kitty, silly kitty, pretty kitty, purr purr purr....    yes I love kitties.
It is the lives we encounter that make life worth living. - Guy De Maupassant
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Rose City Rose on October 10, 2014, 01:12:55 AM
I've decided I'm not ready to make the decision to get full SRS; in the mean time, I'm considering an orchiectomy for a number of reasons, but I had some questions:

1. Will it make it harder if I decide to get SRS later? I've heard differing stories on this; some say that it will make the scrotum shrink which will give you less skin to work with, but some say it's not that big of a deal (this is what Dr. Bowers says on her website). The fact is I'm still not sure full SRS is for me but I would like it to be a viable option because I'm kind of worried that orchi alone might feel like a job half-done after the stitches heal.

2. How will my libido post-orchi compare to my libido now, after about 18 months on HRT? I don't have much of a libido but I can still misbehave if I want to. Will that be pretty much the same?

3. Are there any potential complications I need to be concerned about with this procedure?

Advice, experience, and knowledge would be much appreciated.

1) I had mine done by a surgeon who also does SRS.  He said it wasn't a big deal and optimized the scar if I wanted the whole shebang done later.  In the meantime, I stretch the empty sack every day to keep it from shrinking.

2) My libido was low before, so no real change.  I also still occasionally get a bit of morning wood.  I don't know if I can still have penetrative sex because I lost interest ages ago.  I'm guessing I probably could, but I like my Magic Wand so much better that I wouldn't waste my time.

3) Complications are a possibility with any surgery.  I didn't have any.  My surgeon was pretty slick.  No major swelling, bruising, nor hematoma.  I've heard some horror stories about the sack filling up with blood, drains being put in and having to squeeze the goo out every so often.  Yuck!
  •  

SorchaC

Like Jill my orchie was done by a urologist that at the time did SRS as well. He said he'd place the scar where he would make an incision for my SRS when that happened so no biggie. I'm not able to use him for SRS now but I am still able to get it so I don't see as it stopped me in that regard.

Libido, I didn't care much for sex before the orchie and I still don't. Does it still work as it did before? Yes. I had a female friend who made it her mission in life to see if it would work and eventually with huge amounts of patience she succeeded but I'm not saying I enjoyed it as much because I wasn't fussed either way if it worked or not.

Complications are specific to the individual. Post op I had no pain,  ;D My nurses got upset with me for refusing pain meds.  :) I had it done under general anesthetic as I lived so far away and my surgeon didn't want me travelling home alone the same day so did it that way so I needed an overnight. I did get an infection but I have to take some blame there. Living alone with no help I did too much lifting and moving about as I had nobody to do it for me, I was also set a goal of weight loss and embarked on exercising way too soon, The stitches gave way some and I got an infection that nearly caused me to be readmitted to open the wound fully and let it heal before restitching but super strong anti biotics cured it enough to stop my GP sending me back. Overall I don't regret the orchie as I don't need anti androgens, I have less bulge and I am allot happier emotionally.

Hope that helps some

Sorcha  ;D
Full Time : July 2007,  ;D ;D
HRT : December 2007,
GRC, (Gender Changed on Birth Certificate) December 2009,  :eusa_clap:
SRS Dr Chettawut March 2015, ;D ;D
  •  

Rose City Rose

Quote from: Flan on October 10, 2014, 02:40:07 AM
Yes there is a good chance the scrotal skin will shrink. When it happens depends on a couple things but it generally takes a year or so.

Libido will probably be the same given the same mindset.

Complications can include local infection (not likely), spot bleeding (common, wear ultra-thin pads for 2 weeks or so) and local pain (expected from the nature of the surgery, rx pain meds are for a couple days at most then otc meds). Bruising tends to be mild. The first injection for local anesthesia tends to be the worst but it's easy going from there. Finally during the procedure it'll feel funny when the testies are pulled for the snip.  ;D

You mean they don't knock you out for it?  *cringes*

I could stand waking up without my balls but I don't want to be awake while they're removing them.  I just want to go to sleep and wake up a little bit sore and a lot less packed with testosterone.
*GRS April 3 2019
I DID IT!!!
[/color]
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Rose City Rose on October 13, 2014, 03:18:55 AM

I could stand waking up without my balls but I don't want to be awake while they're removing them.  I just want to go to sleep and wake up a little bit sore and a lot less packed with testosterone.

I was put under, and when I woke up it felt like I got kicked square in the nuts.  I was never happier.
  •  

SorchaC

Quote from: Rose City Rose on October 13, 2014, 03:18:55 AM

I was offered a choice, The usual method is local but I'm a needle wimp plus I fancied an overnight escape from my neighbours who were making my life a misery at the time. I don't mind watching ops and I'm sure it would have a liberating effect to watch them go but I doubt I'd be able to lie still long enough.

I have to admit, I'm considering asking Dr Chett if he'd let me set up our GoPro so we can make a timelapse of my op come March  >:-)

Hugs

Sorcha  ;D
  •  

Christine Eryn

Quote from: Jill F on October 13, 2014, 03:23:59 AM
I was put under, and when I woke up it felt like I got kicked square in the nuts.  I was never happier.

:icon_dance: That would be good feeling to wake up to indeed. If I hadn't been on HRT for so long and was deadset on GRS next year, I'd be looking forward to feeling the same way afterwards myself.
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

When I had my orchi, I was put under. I didn't want to be awake for that. I don't drive, so I just stretched out in the back seat and relaxed on the drive back home. Then once I was home, I sat around with a bag of frozen peas on my crotch. :D I remember the scrotum shrank like a frightened turtle. But I have no plans of ever having GRS since I could never afford it. That's why I had the orchi done in the first place.
  •  

Rose City Rose

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on October 13, 2014, 07:57:03 PM
When I had my orchi, I was put under. I didn't want to be awake for that. I don't drive, so I just stretched out in the back seat and relaxed on the drive back home. Then once I was home, I sat around with a bag of frozen peas on my crotch. :D I remember the scrotum shrank like a frightened turtle. But I have no plans of ever having GRS since I could never afford it. That's why I had the orchi done in the first place.

I could probably scare up the money, but I'm not sure about the procedure itself.  I've hardly seen anyone who had SRS who didn't have major complications sooner or later, and there is absolutely no data about the long-term effects and prognosis.  I'd have to hate having a penis so bad that it was my only alternative. 

As for the shrinkage, does anyone know if I could do a stretching regimen for a couple of months prior to SRS if I decide that I have to go that route?
*GRS April 3 2019
I DID IT!!!
[/color]
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Rose City Rose on October 14, 2014, 06:30:29 PM
I could probably scare up the money, but I'm not sure about the procedure itself.  I've hardly seen anyone who had SRS who didn't have major complications sooner or later, and there is absolutely no data about the long-term effects and prognosis.  I'd have to hate having a penis so bad that it was my only alternative. 

As for the shrinkage, does anyone know if I could do a stretching regimen for a couple of months prior to SRS if I decide that I have to go that route?

I stretch it out like pizza dough in a hot shower every morning.
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Well, in my case, the orchi was pretty much the only thing that I could do and still remain among the living. Once I sat down and really analyzed the costs and associated stuff from GRS (traveling, lodging for people that would came with me since I don't drive), I knew that I could never have it done. If I didn't have the orchi done when I did, I would be long dead by now.
  •  

SorchaC

I was told I'd be lucky to get 3-4 inches (and that was before my Orchie) so if I wanted a reasonable depth I need to stretch it every day. When I asked "And how do you suggest I stretch something I try my best to forget I have?" The reply was "The same way you would have stretched it before starting transition" I am assuming he meant by taking matters into my own hands but I didn't dare ask  >:-) >:-)

Mr Bellringer in UK had an interesting solution to the issue which he claims does the job for you. He had intended to insert something into the scrotum exactly 3 months before my SRS date which would inflate and do the stretching for me. He said he'd used it once and it was successful. I understand from research it is a procedure commonly used on women before BA so that they have more room for the implants when that's done. I've never hears of anyone else suggesting this but the idea makes sense but would make tucking rather hard  ;D

Hugs

Sorcha  ;D
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: SorchaC on October 14, 2014, 07:09:53 PM
I was told I'd be lucky to get 3-4 inches (and that was before my Orchie) so if I wanted a reasonable depth I need to stretch it every day. When I asked "And how do you suggest I stretch something I try my best to forget I have?" The reply was "The same way you would have stretched it before starting transition" I am assuming he meant by taking matters into my own hands but I didn't dare ask  >:-) >:-)

Mr Bellringer in UK had an interesting solution to the issue which he claims does the job for you. He had intended to insert something into the scrotum exactly 3 months before my SRS date which would inflate and do the stretching for me. He said he'd used it once and it was successful. I understand from research it is a procedure commonly used on women before BA so that they have more room for the implants when that's done. I've never hears of anyone else suggesting this but the idea makes sense but would make tucking rather hard  ;D

Hugs

Sorcha  ;D

So a valvestem on the nutsack?  I'd have to get a tattoo on it that said "Inflate to 30psi."  :D
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Jill F on October 14, 2014, 07:19:59 PM
So a valvestem on the nutsack scrotum? 

I hate term "nutsack".
  •  

SorchaC

Quote from: Jill F on October 14, 2014, 07:19:59 PM
So a valvestem on the nutsack?  I'd have to get a tattoo on it that said "Inflate to 30psi."  :D

Good one :) For best results pump here?

I think this system has advantages if you can easily get to the surgeon but I'm not sure it is worth it if you have to travel overseas for SRS.

Hugs

Sorcha  ;D
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: SorchaC on October 14, 2014, 07:44:22 PM
Good one :) For best results pump here?

I think this system has advantages if you can easily get to the surgeon but I'm not sure it is worth it if you have to travel overseas for SRS.

Hugs

Sorcha  ;D

In case of water landing, not to be used as a flotation device?
  •  

SorchaC

Quote from: Jill F on October 14, 2014, 07:46:47 PM
In case of water landing, not to be used as a flotation device?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

•  

Christine Eryn

There are some funny and colorful visuals in this thread!  ;D
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III
  •