Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Some social questions from a non-binary trans person

Started by Vestyn, November 01, 2014, 06:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vestyn

Hi everyone,

I'm a visitor here from the non-binary forum. I was born with unambiguous sex characteristics but I'm still struggling to define my own gender identity. I was just wondering about the similarities and differences between our communities and identities. For example, I feel a little sheepish in this forum because I wonder how many of you are reading this and thinking, "They've got matching parts, what are they so confused about?" :P like, maybe you feel like you have a greater claim to sex and gender dysphoria than we do...Or maybe not, I dunno. (Hence the asking).

One thing I've gleaned from reading posts in both of our fora is that both of our communities seem relatively young and unorganized relative to say, the gay community or binary transgender people. There doesn't seem to be a "standard" way of being intersex or non-binary. From what I've gleaned, some intersex people seem to identify with a binary gender and others are comfortable living in-between like non-binary people. It seems most non-binary people identify in some way with the label "queer," and I'm curious if that's also true for intersex people. I volunteer with an organization that has used "LGBT" for a long time and is thinking of adding letters like "Q," "I," and "A" to its name which are all being evaluated individually. Each one comes with its own baggage, but for our organization, the biggest challenge so far has been finding "I"-people. Statistically, are there really so few? Or are intersex people just not interested in aligning with the LGBT community? (Perhaps people would rather "pass" as binary and not bring attention to themselves?)

Any thoughts about these issues?
  •