Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Lecture by Geena Rocero (St. Louis, MO)

Started by accidentallyhipster, November 14, 2014, 08:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

accidentallyhipster

Hi,
I'm not running the event or anything just going to it. The event page says "Free and open to the public."

http://events.webster.edu/event/geena_rocero

Copied & Pasted from the event page:

"Geena Rocero
Wednesday, November 19 at 7:00pm to 8:30pm
University Center, Sunnen Lounge
Geena Rocero
Model and Transgender Advocate, Founder of Gender Proud
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
7pm University Center Sunnen Lounge

Born to humble beginnings in Manila, Philippines, Geena always had big dreams. Growing up, she knew that she was different from her childhood friends. At a young age, she told her mom that her gender assignment at birth was different.
At fifteen, a pageant manager approached her to join a beauty contest. This opportunity led her to the world of the TransWomen Beauty Pageant in the Philippines. As a young teenager, she then became one of the most prominent figures in the Trans Beauty Pageant world.

Geena immigrated to San Francisco in 2001, and in 2005, she moved to New York City in order to pursue a modeling career. She was quickly represented by Next Models, one of the most prominent agencies in the world.
Through her own experience into womanhood and working as a professional model, she realized her bigger purpose in life was to share her journey and work towards justice and beauty in the transgender community. In March 2014, Rocero shared her journey into womanhood and came out as transgender at TED Conference. She also launched Gender Proud, an advocacy and awareness campaign advocating for a global Gender Recognition Policy that will allow transgender and gender variant people to change their name and gender marker on legal documents without being forced to go through surgeries, force sterilization and other de-humanizing barriers.

In her lecture, Geena discusses her own experience exploring her gender identity, as well as the strides she and Gender Proud are making for the transgender community today.  She also examines the issues of depression, anxiety, and cyber bullying, offering a challenge to students to be more accepting by developing a welcoming campus community.
This event is free and open to the public."

If you go, I'll see you there!
...and if not I'll be taking notes so I can share what I find out 

Cheers!
-Erin

Edit: I hope I posted this correctly by posting the event in the calendar first. If I did it wrong, my apologises. :/
Erin
She/Her/Hers Thanks! 

•