News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Transgender military ban.

Started by Minervham, November 30, 2014, 09:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minervham

Hi guys and girls!

I know that I'm new here, but I just wanted to tell you guys a unique experience I've had in the military. For those here that do not know, trans people are currently banned from serving openly in the United States military. When I started transitioning in March, I grew my hair out and quickly came under fire since my hair no longer met the male grooming standards, it's hard for radio operators to skirt under the radar because we always work near officers, that's when I came out to my company commander. My company commander was pretty supportive, but said that regardless of how he felt, he had to pass this up the chain of command and that he wasn't sure what would happen, I was really worried that I would be facing an administrative discharge. Now, I love serving in the military, there are more bigots here than other places, sure, but I still feel like I could stay in till they kick me out for old age. So naturally, I decided to fight any proceedings that could have been brought against me and immediately contacted the American Civil Liberties Union.

Now, my particular outfit is called the New York Guard, and it works a little different than normal forces in that, like the national guard, the force belongs to the state government. Unlike the National Guard however, the State Guards, as these units are called, can never be brought up for federal service. The idea behind them goes back to WW1, the federal government took all the states national guards and everything pretty much got sent to France, leaving states with no troops under their own command for homeland missions like disaster relief. So a backup force was created that could never be federally activated. So the national guard troops are like hybrid state/federal employees and follow federal laws regulations, but the state guard is totally controlled by just the state government.

New York Guard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Guard

Okay, got that? So my unit doesn't answer to federal military law, we answer to New York State law, and the ACLU found this little known state executive order signed a couple years ago that prohibits discrimination in a government workplace on the basis of gender identity, that includes all branches of the government even the State Guard. So the ACLU wrote the Governor's office to inform them of the situation. The next drill a colonel I'd never met before came to our office and pulled me to the side, and told me that the official instruction from headquarters was that I was to be supported entirely.

So yay! Even if it's just the state guard, there's at least ONE branch of the military in the U.S. that has allowed trans people to put on army boots. All it would take for every other branch to allow it is an executive order by the president, just like what my governor did. Since then, things have been pretty chill in my unit, no issues at all. I just went on a quick deployment for the snow storm in Buffalo and there were a couple of jerks who commented on my hair, but all in all it was pretty normal. I was assigned my own room at the base so I didn't have to bunk with guys and the girls didn't have to bunk with me (I don't pass yet and didn't want to freak anyone out) and even had my own bathroom. Eventually I hope to be able to just blend right in with the other females when on mission, but for the moment all my expectations were pretty much met or exceeded.

Thanks for reading this book of a post :)
I'm essentially a big ball of rainbow :)
  •  

Alexis2107

Nice.  And welcome, good to meet you :) 

Is one reason why I am wanting really rooting for Hillary Clinton in the next elections... she is very supportive of the transgender movement, she was one of the driving forces to get .. either social security, or the US Passport... think it was the US passport, since she was the secretary of state... to allow them to change the gender marker without requirement of SRS.  So if we get someone like Clinton in the office, I believe we'll have more victories heading our way :)

oh... found the link here about Clinton..

http://correctrecord.org/hillary-clinton-expanding-lgbt-rights-at-state/

Just a thought :)
~ Lexi ~

HRT 11/5/14
Full Time woman 3/12/15
  •  

Bimmer Guy

Quote from: Minervham on November 30, 2014, 09:52:33 PM
Hi guys and girls!

I know that I'm new here, but I just wanted to tell you guys a unique experience I've had in the military. For those here that do not know, trans people are currently banned from serving openly in the United States military. When I started transitioning in March, I grew my hair out and quickly came under fire since my hair no longer met the male grooming standards, it's hard for radio operators to skirt under the radar because we always work near officers, that's when I came out to my company commander. My company commander was pretty supportive, but said that regardless of how he felt, he had to pass this up the chain of command and that he wasn't sure what would happen, I was really worried that I would be facing an administrative discharge. Now, I love serving in the military, there are more bigots here than other places, sure, but I still feel like I could stay in till they kick me out for old age. So naturally, I decided to fight any proceedings that could have been brought against me and immediately contacted the American Civil Liberties Union.

Now, my particular outfit is called the New York Guard, and it works a little different than normal forces in that, like the national guard, the force belongs to the state government. Unlike the National Guard however, the State Guards, as these units are called, can never be brought up for federal service. The idea behind them goes back to WW1, the federal government took all the states national guards and everything pretty much got sent to France, leaving states with no troops under their own command for homeland missions like disaster relief. So a backup force was created that could never be federally activated. So the national guard troops are like hybrid state/federal employees and follow federal laws regulations, but the state guard is totally controlled by just the state government.

New York Guard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Guard

Okay, got that? So my unit doesn't answer to federal military law, we answer to New York State law, and the ACLU found this little known state executive order signed a couple years ago that prohibits discrimination in a government workplace on the basis of gender identity, that includes all branches of the government even the State Guard. So the ACLU wrote the Governor's office to inform them of the situation. The next drill a colonel I'd never met before came to our office and pulled me to the side, and told me that the official instruction from headquarters was that I was to be supported entirely.

So yay! Even if it's just the state guard, there's at least ONE branch of the military in the U.S. that has allowed trans people to put on army boots. All it would take for every other branch to allow it is an executive order by the president, just like what my governor did. Since then, things have been pretty chill in my unit, no issues at all. I just went on a quick deployment for the snow storm in Buffalo and there were a couple of jerks who commented on my hair, but all in all it was pretty normal. I was assigned my own room at the base so I didn't have to bunk with guys and the girls didn't have to bunk with me (I don't pass yet and didn't want to freak anyone out) and even had my own bathroom. Eventually I hope to be able to just blend right in with the other females when on mission, but for the moment all my expectations were pretty much met or exceeded.

Thanks for reading this book of a post :)

I very much appreciate you posting this.  I was wishing that I could do the national guard as a social worker (under medical corps), but I see that trans folks are not allowed.  You post motivated me to check out the state guard closest to me, the Maryland Defense Force.  I think I will drop them a line.  I have so very much wished to be a part of some military organization that is about helping others.
Top Surgery: 10/10/13 (Garramone)
Testosterone: 9/9/14
Hysto: 10/1/15
Stage 1 Meta: 3/2/16 (including UL, Vaginectomy, Scrotoplasty), (Crane, CA)
Stage 2 Meta: 11/11/16 Testicular implants, phallus and scrotum repositioning, v-nectomy revision.  Additional: Lipo on sides of chest. (Crane, TX)
Fistula Repair 12/21/17 (UPenn Hospital,unsuccessful)
Fistula Repair 6/7/18 (Nikolavsky, successful)
Revision: 1/11/19 Replacement of eroded testicle,  mons resection, cosmetic work on scrotum (Crane, TX)

•  

FTMax

As Brett said, thank you for this! I was a police officer for a little over two years and left because I wasn't sure how they'd handle my transition or if I even wanted to do it in that environment. It's good to know that there are military organizations out there that are supporting our rights, and I'll be making some inquiries to see if there are ways to serve near me.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Minervham

Quote from: Brett on December 01, 2014, 09:57:49 PM
I very much appreciate you posting this.  I was wishing that I could do the national guard as a social worker (under medical corps), but I see that trans folks are not allowed.  You post motivated me to check out the state guard closest to me, the Maryland Defense Force.  I think I will drop them a line.  I have so very much wished to be a part of some military organization that is about helping others.

The Maryland SDF is a great unit! I've had the pleasure of working with them before, and they always need good people. Post back and tell us what they say!
  •  

Minervham

Quote from: ftmax on December 02, 2014, 04:13:05 PM
As Brett said, thank you for this! I was a police officer for a little over two years and left because I wasn't sure how they'd handle my transition or if I even wanted to do it in that environment. It's good to know that there are military organizations out there that are supporting our rights, and I'll be making some inquiries to see if there are ways to serve near me.

I know what you mean, I did LE for awhile too, and while both the LE and military fields tend to be pretty conservative I think most in blue could get over it. I may go back that route eventually myself.
  •  

Minervham

Quote from: Alexis2107 on November 30, 2014, 10:14:23 PM

Is one reason why I am wanting really rooting for Hillary Clinton in the next elections... she is very supportive of the transgender movement, she was one of the driving forces to get .. either social security, or the US Passport... think it was the US passport, since she was the secretary of state... to allow them to change the gender marker without requirement of SRS.  So if we get someone like Clinton in the office, I believe we'll have more victories heading our way :)

I'm actually still pretty conservative all things considered, if anything I identify as libertarian. I like Hillary for how bold and progressive she is but some of her other stances are hard for me to get on board with.

•  

Jake25

Quote from: Alexis2107 on November 30, 2014, 10:14:23 PM

Yes, I like this positive thinking. I agree that we'll have more victories.
  •  

Rudy King

There is a logical, but screwed up reason for the ban.  Part of it is hormones.  Since you need access to hormones, it can be difficult to  get in the field.  This is also why Intersex folks can't join.  I know a girl with CAIS, who wants to join the Navy, but she can't.  She is trying really hard, but has had no luck at all.

It also has to do with bone density.  Hormones can change you're bone density.  Those who are Intersex have problems with and without external hormones.
  •  

Jake25

At least less transexuals will die in war. It's bad enough when people murder them in their own country.
  •  

LordKAT

The hormones in the field excuse doesn't fly. Diabetics on insulin can serve.
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Jake25 on June 07, 2015, 01:11:39 PM
At least less transexuals will die in war. It's bad enough when people murder them in their own country.

Not necessarily. It doesn't mean transsexuals won't serve. It means they'll hide their gender identity and go into the field not just battling the enemy, but also their own dysphoria.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Jake25

They must feel like it's their goal. I can't join the Navy because I'm too short and have some mental illness. I wanted to when I was a teenager and didn't realize the requirements they have.
  •  

G4

I recently graduated university, am pursuing employment in my desired field, but also I think the idea of doing reserves in the Navy or Air Force as an officer sounds very attractive as a side gig (my dad did this and it worked well for him).

The problem now is that I am questioning my gender, for several months now I have been honest with myself about that (a lot longer if I recognize my own denial).

I have heard nothing about this issue regarding the Navy, but I did read somewhere that the Army and Air Force cannot 'immediately expel' anyone for being transgender; rather, the case is immediately sent to a very high level to be reviewed by high-ranking officers. And their decision is what goes.

Here is an article about it that gives all the pertinent information, along with their humorous disagreement of the change in policies: http://www.onenewsnow.com/national-security/2015/06/08/air-force-tips-off-pride-month-goes-pro-transgender

And a slightly better one from The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/05/us-air-force-transgender-no-discharge
  •  

Cynobyte

I was af, go for it!  Just have to maintain your hair standards for a male, but your home life is yours!  Its like a regular job, only fun..  Good luck..
  •  

G4

Quote from: Cynobyte on June 28, 2015, 10:29:32 PM
I was af, go for it!  Just have to maintain your hair standards for a male, but your home life is yours!  Its like a regular job, only fun..  Good luck..

So, what are you suggesting.. go for it and don't tell them that I am gender questioning? What if I start seeing a therapist and en up being trans? How long could I keep that hidden before things started becoming a problem? Obviously I would have to maintain grooming standards  ;D
  •  

Cynobyte

Its up to you.  Id still go for it.  Some military careers are going to tell more than others.  I worked the f117 for 8 years..  best job of my life, got to see things that nobody ever will;) 
For me, IBasic training and tech school were over 9 mo, you could not do anything there.   After that, I got to my shop.  8 hrs of work 5 days a week.  But this was my af career.  Plus you have deployment and other training.. 

Ok, so lets say you decide you are tg.  Make then next 4 years a learning experience, but who know..  you may be able to come out by then?  First couple years are going to be hard.  I recommend finding a tg councelor offbase, nothing will get back..  find yourself.  Then start hormones if you choose on your last 2 years.    Just learn to play the part.  As with any job, dont drag you private life to work..  use these 4 years for college, make friends, just stay away from the hotdogs, and you may find like minded for support.  Just make sure by the time you get out, you have an education, va benefits, and the gi bill for continuing education.   

Sorry it took so long to reply..  some branches may be harder to hide than others..  you are welcome to pm me for any questions or to help with a plan.   Make sure you are guaranteed a career you want before signing.  I would not pick a career that is out in the field and personal with other peers, they may find you out and it may get miserable.

Feel free to pm me with any questions, anyone.  Ive been out a while, but ive got friends still in that are lgbt, one was even a first sgt:)  we are tall willing to help..  once you come out it may be hard, but with a career and a good background, it will make life easier..  you. Just have to sacrifice a few years for a better future..  good luck;)  please look for the john oliver post I put up, it has stats and info you may want to know..
  •