Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Would you rather...

Started by Illuminess, December 10, 2014, 06:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illuminess

...have a long pointless life with a peaceful death, or a short but meaningful life with a tragic end?

My answer: I'm leaning towards tragic end. It may be the only way my writing will ever reach a level of appreciation equal to that of Hypatia; or at least Emily Dickinson. Chances are, I'll probably end up discovered as a dusty old husk after my consciousness has long been absorbed into a VR console courteous of Sony's new Afterlife Program.

How about you; and what do you suspect is more likely to happen (either actually or sarcastically)? Adding humor to your answer is highly encouraged. :)
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •  

Brenda E

I'm well on the way to leading a short pointless life with a tragic end.  Sorry.
  •  

Jill F

Depends.  Do I get to haunt people from beyond the grave?  *cue ominous spooky theremin music*
  •  

Devlyn

I ain't waiting to die to start haunting people, it's already begun!  :laugh:
  •  

whatismylife

every life is pointless so i'd rather live a long one.
  •  

Illuminess

Quote from: Jill F on December 11, 2014, 08:24:56 PM
Depends.  Do I get to haunt people from beyond the grave?  *cue ominous spooky theremin music*

I would certainly hope so!  :laugh:

•  

Illuminess

Quote from: whatismylife on December 11, 2014, 11:44:50 PM
every life is pointless so i'd rather live a long one.

No matter what our struggles are, life is never pointless. It's just a matter of recognising what that point is and shaping your world around it.

I imagine a nihilistic, pessimistic attitude as a deep chasm that only gets deeper with each new negative thought. Soon, you can't even see the sun anymore, or notice those little synchronicities and opportunities constantly crossing your path. The sun is still there, shining, but you descend so deep that you can't tell. The last thing life is supposed to be is easy or without suffering, because you can't grow stronger without challenges. Without darkness and ugliness and pain you simply cannot appreciate the light, the beauty and the joy that follows.

What's truly pointless is believing your life has no value or meaning or purpose; because no matter what you think, these things never cease to be true. So, there's two choices you can make: to withdraw into a shell of despair and apathy, or to embrace all possibility with love. Wisdom is never bestowed freely; it must be earned through resilience in the face of all seeming opposition.

•  

dizzie

i thought this was about the movie: Would you rather...

which had a horrible ending btw...
  •