Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Just a few Questions! *Anyone can answer.*

Started by Maxwell, December 13, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzyfoop

Well, right now, I'm 13 going 14 in 10 days(I got really unlucky) about 5'9", I have a really deep voice(I'm dysphoric on that front), have broad shoulders(ditto). Ok well, I have no-idea if my family and friends are transphobic, well I know at least one of my friends isn't(I came out to her today) but that's about it. I live in Ireland, not the States(you said high school, I assumed that meant you live in the States). I'm trying to get myself to come out, like sometimes the thought just hits me, randomly, and I want to, but I can't..
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: fitzyfoop on December 13, 2014, 05:34:30 PM
Well, right now, I'm 13 going 14 in 10 days(I got really unlucky) about 5'9", I have a really deep voice(I'm dysphoric on that front), have broad shoulders(ditto). Ok well, I have no-idea if my family and friends are transphobic, well I know at least one of my friends isn't(I came out to her today) but that's about it. I live in Ireland, not the States(you said high school, I assumed that meant you live in the States). I'm trying to get myself to come out, like sometimes the thought just hits me, randomly, and I want to, but I can't..
Honestly your height and shoulders would be VERY normal in the states. Especially in my highschool where the girls are MUCH larger than the boys
you would actually be on the smaller side :). Also your voice usually sounds deeper to you because of how our skulls are shaped. It probably
sounds normal to people. I also have a transgender aunt in my family, so. I would watch some news with them, or tell them you have a cute
gay couple in your school and see how they react to that then probably go on from their reaction
. But I knew my mother was more accepting,
you might be able to tell and she is Christian.Ya never know who will really be the most accecpting, you might even be surprised! ;D
Don't forget I'll always be here if ya need me!
  •  

adrian

Hey Maxwell, glad you found the way over to the youth board :)
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: adrian on December 14, 2014, 01:36:47 AM
Hey Maxwell, glad you found the way over to the youth board :)
Yup, hey can you answer any of my questions? I'd be a great help.
Or any advice will be great too. :)
  •  

Matthew

Informed consent in the states is where you start T minus the therapy, but you'll have to go with your parents under 18. Should be able to start at 16, hormone blockers you should be able to start whenever (but I don't know the policy on those).

I know it can seem like forever and it's hard waiting, but try to be patient because the wait will be so worth it!

I know your situation, I'm 15 ( oldie, I know ;) ) and it's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. Good luck with your parents, I hope it all works out, seeing that they have the say on hormone treatment and I think in the US therapy too.

If you, or of course anyone else who needs it, PM me for a chat. It's always open :)

-Matthew
  •  

adrian

Quote from: Maxwell on December 14, 2014, 07:33:55 AM
Yup, hey can you answer any of my questions? I'd be a great help.
Or any advice will be great too. :)
I think I'm a bit too old to be of a lot of help [emoji12].

As for the name, you shouldn't feel compelled to choose another one just because of the dog. Maybe your sis can rename him to Max Too :D.

Actually, a colleague of mine named herself after her grandmother's dachshund. She claims the dog was trans* as well ;).

As for school -- would you be able to speak to the transgirl to see how she approached everything? Also, is there something like a gay-straight alliance? They may not be the perfect "fit" for a trans*person, but they might be a place to look for support.
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: adrian on December 14, 2014, 08:21:44 AM
I think I'm a bit too old to be of a lot of help [emoji12].

As for the name, you shouldn't feel compelled to choose another one just because of the dog. Maybe your sis can rename him to Max Too :D.

Actually, a colleague of mine named herself after her grandmother's dachshund. She claims the dog was trans* as well ;).

As for school -- would you be able to speak to the transgirl to see how she approached everything? Also, is there something like a gay-straight alliance? They may not be the perfect "fit" for a trans*person, but they might be a place to look for support.
My highschool is quite big. About 1,500 students.(We are actually over-capacity) All I know is this guy who is in my class said hi to her
and said something about her being trans. That class is quite open and they defended her saying something about how the guy wasn't
saying anything bad about her and how she was really cool. I haven't met her. Also I don't think my school has anything like a gay alliance
we do have some gay kids.(a lot actually).
Thanks about the name. :) But we have had our two Chihuahuas for about 7 years so there's no possibility of that. I have though about a
few other names but I figure it is really late in the school year to change it. It would be a big hassle yaknow? Fawn. I know it's kinda a werid name
and a little feminine but I really really like it.  :embarrassed:

No one is too old to give advice btw. And the dachshund being trans* really made my day. Thanks. ;D
  •  

fitzyfoop

Heck, if you like it you go with it! I chose Natalie because I like the name.
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: Matthew on December 14, 2014, 07:45:22 AM
Informed consent in the states is where you start T minus the therapy, but you'll have to go with your parents under 18. Should be able to start at 16, hormone blockers you should be able to start whenever (but I don't know the policy on those).

I know it can seem like forever and it's hard waiting, but try to be patient because the wait will be so worth it!

I know your situation, I'm 15 ( oldie, I know ;) ) and it's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. Good luck with your parents, I hope it all works out, seeing that they have the say on hormone treatment and I think in the US therapy too.

If you, or of course anyone else who needs it, PM me for a chat. It's always open :)

-Matthew
No one is too old. Actually I'm about to turn 15 in 3 months.  :D I do have a therapist of 7 years about. But I don't know if I have to also get a
Gender therapist .. Also ALL advice appreciated! ;D
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: fitzyfoop on December 14, 2014, 09:32:13 AM
Heck, if you like it you go with it! I chose Natalie because I like the name.
Yes, I think your name will fit you fabulously! But as a more female name people will be like "Oh! Finally being a girl?"
At my school I am trying to be boyish and if I do anything girly they will just stereotype me.. But all my close friends
are gay so it's quite normal for me to be feminine. Infact I have been Glitter attacked 2 times last week and my friend
even threw confetti on me at the beginning of the day!( I have no idea where she gets it) The janitor must really hate
us. I proved a point to some guy in my Automotive classes because when I shook my hair(Which is short BTW)
A TON of glitter rained down on the desk! WHOOPS! ;D

But also Max (the name I'm currently trying to use) the school identify my with on anything they legally can.
They let me write it down on all my classwork and homework. It will be Max in the yearbook. ALL of my
teachers use it. And so does the student body. So it would be REALLY hard to change yaknow? :-\
  •  

fitzyfoop

Yes, but everyone who knows me, bar you and this forum, knows me as Michael, not Natalie, so that's gonna be hard too, you could just say "Look I'm undecided on what I want to go by so call me (insert name) until I choose a name to go with, ok? Thanks." I'd say people would understand because pretty much everyone would be like that. Myself included, I'm not 100% on Natalie, like I might go with Siobhán(shi-vawn) or Violet or some other name. I'm still not sure. I'm probably gonna draw up a list....
  •  

fitzyfoop

For some reason, I'm trying to find a name that would have an easily pronouncable abbreviation, such as Vi (Violet), Cori (Coriander), Jess (Jessica) etc
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: fitzyfoop on December 14, 2014, 09:51:45 AM
Yes, but everyone who knows me, bar you and this forum, knows me as Michael, not Natalie, so that's gonna be hard too, you could just say "Look I'm undecided on what I want to go by so call me (insert name) until I choose a name to go with, ok? Thanks." I'd say people would understand because pretty much everyone would be like that. Myself included, I'm not 100% on Natalie, like I might go with Siobhán(shi-vawn) or Violet or some other name. I'm still not sure. I'm probably gonna draw up a list....
I looked up names by my birth year. I think your birth year is near 2001 correct? I looked up baby girl names in 2001 and got this.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_100-most-popular-baby-names-of-2001_1738056.bc
It's the first list. They are quite good but I chose Max because I daydream a lot and that was my characters name.  :laugh:
First  make a list of likeable names.I think you should also say it aloud.Second You can practice with ones that you are comfortable
with by talking to your friend your out to like I did with my mom. Go face to face with her or just call her and say "Hi I am Natalie"
or "Hi, I am 'insert name here.'" And then choose one or just narrow down the list with that.
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: fitzyfoop on December 14, 2014, 09:55:07 AM
For some reason, I'm trying to find a name that would have an easily pronouncable abbreviation, such as Vi (Violet), Cori (Coriander), Jess (Jessica) etc
People are usually more attracted to easier names.  ;D
  •  

fitzyfoop

Quote from: Maxwell on December 14, 2014, 10:00:26 AM
I looked up names by my birth year. I think your birth year is near 2001 correct? I looked up baby girl names in 2001 and got this.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_100-most-popular-baby-names-of-2001_1738056.bc
It's the first list. They are quite good but I chose Max because I daydream a lot and that was my characters name.  :laugh:
First  make a list of likeable names.I think you should also say it aloud.Second You can practice with ones that you are comfortable
with by talking to your friend your out to like I did with my mom. Go face to face with her or just call her and say "Hi I am Natalie"
or "Hi, I am 'insert name here.'" And then choose one or just narrow down the list with that.
Ooooh! Close, but no I'm a millenial, I was born in 2000.. And thanks, I'll have a look at that list know in a minute, I'm supposed to be studying for Christmas Exams
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: fitzyfoop on December 14, 2014, 10:03:47 AM
Ooooh! Close, but no I'm a millenial, I was born in 2000.. And thanks, I'll have a look at that list know in a minute, I'm supposed to be studying for Christmas Exams
Oh, its rather short but you should study maybe 25 mins. Then take a break yaknow? So about every 25 mins switch. You could even put your
friend on speakerphone to your name introductions.(After you make a list and narrow it down by talking to yourself. Just say the names
to yourself and compare them. You could even look at a mirror to talk better. But don't get too stiff be yourself. Introduce your self to yourself.
Or imagine you parents introducing you. Like "Hello Steve. Have you met my daughter Natalie?" So on so forth to narrow the list. :)
Then with your narrowed list call you open friend who knows your trans* and introduce yourself to her while you study.
Go through your list and find the best fitting one to fit YOUR personality. And BE YOURSELF don't get too stiff or nervous!
It is just you and you bestfriend! ;D
  •  

fitzyfoop

Hmm, yeah that's a good idea, I might do it, it's just I haven't told any of my closest friends yet. I've come out to one of my friends, and she was totally fine, but then again, we hardly know each other, and have only met in person once. I've worked with Natalie for a bit, like if I mess something up, I'll whisper to myself "Dammit Natty!" or something along those lines. I'll draw up a list now in a few minutes and I'll run through the names.
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: fitzyfoop on December 14, 2014, 10:21:35 AM
Hmm, yeah that's a good idea, I might do it, it's just I haven't told any of my closest friends yet. I've come out to one of my friends, and she was totally fine, but then again, we hardly know each other, and have only met in person once. I've worked with Natalie for a bit, like if I mess something up, I'll whisper to myself "Dammit Natty!" or something along those lines. I'll draw up a list now in a few minutes and I'll run through the names.
Well I am always here!
When your done with your list may I read it? :)
  •  

fitzyfoop

Ok, the remaining names are:
-Natalie
-Violet
-Luna
-Tia
-Hazel
-Lacey
-Alaska

And yes, I know a bunch of them are book characters, for some reason they have cooler names than real people
  •  

Maxwell

Quote from: fitzyfoop on December 14, 2014, 10:39:57 AM
Ok, the remaining names are:
-Natalie
-Violet
-Luna
-Tia
-Hazel
-Lacey
-Alaska

And yes, I know a bunch of them are book characters, for some reason they have cooler names than real people
Agreed! I really think Luna and Hazel are unique and have some zest to them! Infact this girl in my school is called Unique. :)
Remember to do the introductions! Talk to yourself-
In the mirror(or just to yourself)
Make a scenario(Imagine your parents introducing you to someone.  " This is my daughter 'Insert name here.'".
Talk to your friend!(You don't have to but you could.) Like introduce your name to her."Hi I'm 'insert name here'. How are you?"

Tell me how it goes! And I'll be here too! ;D
  •