Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Anyone play contact sports? mtf

Started by May, December 15, 2014, 02:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

May

Once a year a group of colleagues from work sign up for a Destination rugby tournament. We travel nationally for work so it's a great way to catch up and have fun.  My dilemma is that by the time of the tournament in March I will have been on hrt for 6 months and I don't plan on going full time till at least July.  My body is already changing but as I am bigger than most women @ 6'1". 240lbs and falling, I still think I will pass as a guy at that time. I know playing rugby with a bunch of guys isn't the most feminine thing to do but part of me transitioning is to not let gender barriers hold me back.  I am concerned however of two things.

1. Getting exposed before I am ready

2. Hurting feelings of others or being rejected by teammates when I do come out to them.

Anyone else continue playing contact sport during transition? Or is it time to hang up the boots for a while?

Love,
May

•  

Jenn_nb

Hi May,
I think it's important to continue to participate in the sports that you love both during and after your transition. It is possible that the reaction of your teammates may be non-supportive, but hopefully you'll have a positive experience, similar to mine:

I began my transition in 2010 and at that time I had been playing hockey for 20 years. I was extremely worried about coming out to my hockey groups. I definitely wanted to keep playing (hockey is an amazing sport and I love it so much), but I wasn't sure if I'd be accepted by the guys that I had been playing with for the last 5 years. (we had a couple of girls play occasionally, but the group is 98% guys).  I prepared myself to be rejected, but I asked to speak to everyone in the locker room after our last game before Christmas break 2009. I explained to them that I  had been dealing with gender identity issues for a long time and that I had finally decided to live my life as my true gender, but that I also loved hockey and wanted to continue to play with them, even though I would be living as a female. Most of them were speechless, but unbelievably some of the guys were very supportive, wishing me all the best, telling me I was very courageous and that yes of course I would be welcome to play. "Man, Woman, doesn't matter, you are still a good player and we want you here!" one of the guys said. For the next 3 years I continued to play with them and received nothing but support from everyone, the only difference was that I changed in the female locker room.   Eventually, I had to move for work reasons, but I found a new co-ed group to play hockey with in my new location. I wasn't sure if I was going to have to explain my situation to the new group, but everyone just accepts me as a woman and now I'm just one of the girls both on the ice and in the locker room.

Good Luck with your rugby crew.

•  

Leslie36369

I am not on HRT but a play a full contact American football tournament during November and December with a group of old friends and team mates. No on knows I am trying to transition. I plan on starting HRT well before November of this year and I will probably just tell them. If they can't accept it than i don't know what else I can do.

If you have noticeable breast development you may want to bind them or think about talking to them. If you are simply not ready it may be a good idea to sit this one out. I know the whole jock mentality as I have been around it all my life and even if one will accept you they will go with the pack if they are accepting.

If you were to get a group of the more respected teammates and tell them, you may have a better reception resonate through the team. If I am unable to play next year I will seek out some other league that will accept trans women. I also train in various forms of martial arts. I have considered all of this, I just think the world is kinder than we give it credit for.

I think you should do what is more comfortable, just not from a place of fear. Make your decisions on this using logic.

Good Luck :)
I feel like an alcoholic that celebrates my 90 day chip with champagne
  •  

mrs izzy

I used to play shirts vs skins.

Just lately they alway now want me on the skins side?

Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

May

Thanks for sharing, I appoligize I haven't checked my post in a few weeks but have committed to playing and the tournament is on Saint Patrick's Day so I have a few more weeks to get ready.  I'm going to continue to stay stealth for the time being unless I'm outed since I am not out to my work yet.  Hopefully your right though about the pack mentality as the three people pushing me to play are the captains and leaders of the team and feel/hope that our 9 year friendship will remain when I'm ready to come out.  I have ordered a binder as right now I am maybe half an A cup so not much yet. When i wear a sports bra they are barely noticeable however I think I will play on the shirts sidea for now LOL!

•