Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

1st person coming out to?

Started by PhoenixGurl2016, December 28, 2014, 11:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the 1st Non-Therapist Person whom you told about being Transgender?

Parent
13 (13.3%)
Child
1 (1%)
sibling
2 (2%)
Grandparents
2 (2%)
Friend
43 (43.9%)
Partner
24 (24.5%)
Work related person: Boss/Co-Worker/Etc
0 (0%)
Religious Person: Pastor/Rabbi/Etc
0 (0%)
Aunt/Uncle
1 (1%)
Other (explain)
7 (7.1%)
No one yet
5 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 83

PhoenixGurl2016

Who was the 1st Non-Therapist Person whom you told that you were Transgender?

•  

Tossu-sama

My fiancée and she's been my biggest support ever since. I don't think I would've been able to start the whole process without her.
  •  

Pogotractor

My sister. She just said she knew already and had been waiting for years for me to come out and do something about it.
  •  

amber roskamp

I came out to strangers in a interview for my co-op first. The strangers are now my housemates!
  •  

Leyn

The first non therapist i told was a good friend of mine via skype, the fact that she lives in another country made it that much easier
  •  

ErinReign

No one yet, but I am going to go with one or a few of my friends first. I currently live with my parents, and I would need somewhere to go short term if things did not go over well with them.
  •  

AndrewG

My ex- boyfriend.  We'd split up a long time before I told him but still meet up as friends occasionally.
  •  

Jill F

•  

kragesvin

i think it was a friend of mine - my family was the last ones to know about it, all my friends knew before they knew
  •  

synesthetic

I'm only out to one friend.
and even then, I'm not really out to her - she just knows that I've questioned my gender a lot over the past few years and I don't think I'm cis. still uses she/her and my birth name, but that's only because I haven't told her otherwise.

guess I should probably come out as FTM to her sometime soon, but I don't know.
  •  

infinity

i'm not out yet, but i'll most likely come out to my friend of seven years first. after that, my parents and then everyone else.
  •  

Sunderland

My grandmother. I've always been closest to her. :)
  •  

Jen72

Kind of strange but first person I felt obligated to tell was my mother yet I didn't exactly say I was transgender more I am different that was about it. Actually saying I was thinking of changing was a close friend well ok more like he asked me first but:) The reason I said other was I didn't feel I could tell my mother everything right off the bat I mean the shock etc better to go slower. A good friend is well a good friend they get to know lots off stuff (that you think and or things you did together) our parents don't want to know.
For every day that stings better days it brings.
For every road that ends another will begin.

From a song called "Master of the Wind"" by Man O War.

I my opinions hurt anyone it is NOT my intent.  I try to look at things in a neutral manner but we are all biased to a degree.  If I ever post anything wrong PLEASE correct me!  Human after all.
  •  

Josie F

•  

kaidenhendricks89

First person I told was my wife, well she kind of pulled it out of me. She has been my biggest supporter and I will be forever grateful to her for "pushing me" to be the man I'm meant to be, I could not have started this journey without her she is truly amazing! 
  •  

awilliams1701

It was between my parents and my middle sister. Time zones are the reason I went with my parents. It took a lot of courage to be able to request them to skype me for that even though I knew they would be supportive. So I kept delaying it. I finally delayed it so long that I was going to lose my opportunity for that day. After they reacted as expected (shocked, no clue what it meant, but ultimately ok), I contact my middle sister. I expected her to be supportive. What I didn't count on was absolutely 0 hesitation on her support. I couldn't even blink before she praised me for coming out.

After that I accidentally partially, then intentionally fully outted myself to the neighborhood and was surprised at how supportive they were. Then I knew it was time to tell my other sisters. I got their reactions backwards, but effectively correct. One eventually rejected me and was so nasty about it I had to block her on facebook for a while. The other is struggling with it and its been at least a month since I talked to her, but she's trying not to reject me while her husband pulls out his bible and a stone and wants to protect their new daughter from me. I suspect if she wasn't married, we would actually be in a much better state right now. My extended family is SUPER, SUPER conservative and traditional. I was surprised that they have ALL come out in support of me. I didn't expect that one bit.
Ashley
  •  

Amy85

Other than my therapist? My girlfriend, because I felt I owed her the truth as we moved past the early phase of our relationship. Nobody else knows yet because I am still kind of questioning and it's not anything they need to know right now.
  •  

JenSquid

I first came out to one of my friends. I had just recently come out of denial, and needed to talk as I was falling apart at the time. I picked her because of all my friends, she was the most vocal advocate of lgbt rights, so I figured the chances of her disowning me would be smaller (and if she did, I could at least call her a hypocrite). Moreover, most of my other friends know each other, while she's off in her own little circle, so if things went poorly, at least the fallout would be minimized. Fortunately, none of that came to pass, and she's been extremely supportive. In fact, I get the impression she's looking forward to teaching me all sorts of girl things: being the big sister if you will.

The second person I came out to was my mother. She's accepting. I get the impression she doesn't always understand what's going on, but she means well at least.
  •