Main Menu

Canadian crisis hotline set up to help shunned transgender youth

Started by Myarkstir, January 02, 2015, 10:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myarkstir

Canadian crisis hotline set up to help shunned transgender youth
By Zosia Bieliski, The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Jan. 02 2015, 7:24 PM EST

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/crisis-hotline-for-transgender-youth-set-up-in-canada/article22279927/

A new Canadian crisis hotline is helping transgender youth who have come out to their families and been shunned – a particularly vulnerable community with staggering rates of depression and suicide.

Launched Dec. 12 in Canada after toll-free lines opened in late November in the United States, Trans Lifeline is exclusively for transgender people and staffed entirely by transgender operators. With nearly 60 volunteers working worldwide across many time zones and 350 more signed up for training, it's the first helpline with this level of specificity.
Sylvia M.
Senior news staff

•  

barbie

My experience tells that Canada and Canadians are transgender-friendly, far better than the U.S.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

mrs izzy

How do we get this information into the hands of our youth?

We need more help in the school system and media.

Our Youth are paying as heavy price as the adults.

So how?
Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: barbie on January 02, 2015, 11:12:02 PM
My experience tells that Canada and Canadians are transgender-friendly, far better than the U.S.

barbie~~

I find such a statement overly broad. The US is a huge, diverse place and most of Canada is uninhabited, and the populated areas are metro areas near the US border.

Places like San Francisco and NYC are very accepting, even embracing of transgender. Places like the deep South, not so much.

The USA is such a big place that I would be surprised if it is all the same.
  •