Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Generic Estradiol patches

Started by - Rachel -, January 07, 2015, 02:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

- Rachel -

My new insurance benefits for the year are now posted.
Hormones are covered now (Yay!) but coverage for the Vivelle-dot (called Estradot in Canada) that I'm now using is considerably more expensive than the generic twice a week patch (Boo!)

For me, a 3 month supply of twice a week it's:
$250 for Vivelle-dot
$120 + extra copay for generic
$60 for the real thing (Estradot) from the Canadian phamacy

For the once a week patch it's $36 for a 3 month supply.

I've done some research and I've read quite a lot of dissatisfaction with generic patches. The complaints range from patches not sticking, being much larger, thicker and uncomfortable to not working at all. I can't find any information on what pharmaceutical companies make generic patches, but I know generic Vivelle-dot is not available.

The nice thing about twice a week patches is they're smaller and less likely to cause irritation (on the skin for a shorter period).

It's starting to look like a pyrrhic victory on getting insurance coverage for my hormones, I'm better off just continuing to get them from Canada.

Has anyone used the generic patches or have any information on who makes them? If you have used them, did you like them?

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself." -- Robert Frost
  •  

jennifer356

I started with the Mylan once a week patch - it is a generic here in the states and all the bad things happened to me - they would never stay on and i'd be using 2 or 3 a week - then when miracles of miracles happened and it stayed on I had a major rash and itching that would last at least another week - or two - and they are about the size of a grapefruit - huge - did the research on the internet and talked my endo into scripting the vivelle dot and have never looked back - even though they cost more I have not yet wasted one so I think cost wise they are close to what I spent on the worthless generic I was using - ymmv but I wish you well

jenifer
  •  

Jenna Marie

I started on the generic of Climara made by Mylan, and I have the same complaints everyone does - they were HUGE, didn't stick well, caused constant irritation, and were generally a (literal) pain in the ass. Plus, and this is relevant for someone who's worried about insurance, I had to fight constantly to get the insurance company to acknowledge that I was prescribed twice a week changes (the really stupid part is that they'd happily pay for the same dose at once a week, but doing that amount as half as much twice as often drove them up a wall and they took me with them on the trip!). Eventually I ended up having to fill the prescription as a box every two weeks instead, which = double the copay, of course. And if you use Express Scripts for your mail-order, which most people in the US seem to, forget about it; they would see my prescription for enough for 3 months at 2x weekly and cut it in half, without fail. My doctor called, my endo wrote letters, I called and argued every single time... no dice. The best I could do from them was also to get half a year's supply (with them insisting that that WAS a whole year, and that getting it refilled twice per month wouldn't mean my prescription for 12 months ran out faster, either), and after six months of trying I gave up and went back to the local pharmacy.

I switched to Vivelle and never looked back. Not only is it tiny and discreet and sticks well and is easy to use, it's packaged for twice a week - and lo and behold, like magic everyone stopped arguing about that part. Though now I'm tempted to try for the Canadian pharmacy route myself. ;)
  •  

lilangel

I want to get the Vivelle dots when I start HRT but will insurance not cover them over the generics because they're branded or does it just depend on the insurance?
  •  

allisonsteph

I had been using the name brand Climara patch for the last 10 months. Just 5 days ago I began using a generic estradiol patch. As others have mentioned they are huge. They are also causing substantially more irritation than the name brands ones did. After only two days I had a blister the size of a quarter on my abdomen and had to remove the patch and place a new one elsewhere on my body. I now have insurance through my employer, hopefully they will be more flexible than Medicaid was.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: lilangel on January 07, 2015, 07:04:06 PM
I want to get the Vivelle dots when I start HRT but will insurance not cover them over the generics because they're branded or does it just depend on the insurance?

For the most part it depends on the insurance. When I lived on California and was on Medicaid it covered a 90 day supply of the name brand Climara patch, but not the Vivelle. I moved to New York in August and Medicaid in New York will only pay for a 30 day supply of the generic. I now have private insurance through my employer, and have no idea what they will cover.
  •  

Jenna Marie

It depends on the insurance. My insurance actually *does* cover both kinds (name brand and generic), and while there has to be a doctor's note of "no substitutions" to get name-brand Climara, there IS no generic for Vivelle so I get that without any extra effort at all.

However, the copay on name brands is $50 and generics is $30, so there's that.
  •  

MarissaJ

Can anyone post a picture of of of these patches? I'm hoping to start HRT someday soon and I'm curious as to what they look like.
I'm not really a boy, I just play one on TV.

•  

Just Ole Me

I'll only use Vivelle dot patches. They cost me more $30 vs $7 for genetic but any genetics fall off same day, are big, cause a rash and when it falls off I look like a giant octopus grabbed me. So worth the extra money.
Just trying to find comfort in this "shell" that doesn't fit.  But I am "remodeling" the shell finally!
  •  

Jenna Marie

(disclaimer : NONE OF THIS IS DOSAGE OR MEDICATION ADVICE. Also dosages can't be concluded from size or image of patch.)

http://www.mylan.com/products/product-catalog/product-profile-page?id=2316e5c2-f503-49bf-be11-fc533d44f3f9

Note that it says "not actual size"; actual size is roughly 2" across as I recall.

http://www.minivelle.com/about/what-is-minivelle.php Shows Vivelle scaled to a dime, along with a new version they've come up with probably b/c a generic of Vivelle is supposed to come out soon.

•  

jennifer356

the mylan weekly is more like 3 inch diameter - really huge

jenifer
  •  

Jenna Marie

Jennifer : It's been 4 blessed years since I've seen one - guess my imagination refused to believe they were really THAT big. :) And yes, it was terrible.
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: allisonsteph on January 07, 2015, 07:20:16 PM
For the most part it depends on the insurance. When I lived on California and was on Medicaid it covered a 90 day supply of the name brand Climara patch, but not the Vivelle. I moved to New York in August and Medicaid in New York will only pay for a 30 day supply of the generic. I now have private insurance through my employer, and have no idea what they will cover.

I set up my profile on Express Scripts. The generic patch is $20 for a 90 day supply. The name brand Climara patch would be $247 for a 90 supply.  :o
  •  

Wynternight

I made the switch to the dots due to the Mylar and Climara giving me bad rashes. The dots leave a teeny rash that's usually gone in a day.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

- Rachel -

Thanks for all your responses.

I'm very happy with the Vivelle-dot. It's small and thin, it sticks and it doesn't cause much irritation.
Mylan just got approval to sell a generic Vivelle-dot. I'm not sure when it will hit the stores.
My insurance lists a generic twice weekly patch but I have no idea who makes it.
That generic under my insurance is still more expensive than the genuine Vivelle-dot from Canada.
I was hoping that getting insurance coverage would mean lower cost E, no such luck.
The Canadian pharmacy I use is by far the cheapest way to get genuine Vivelle-dot (called Estradot outside the US), prescription required of course.
I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the name of the pharmacy here.

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself." -- Robert Frost
  •  

lilangel

Quote from: Jenna Marie on January 08, 2015, 05:03:05 PM
(disclaimer : NONE OF THIS IS DOSAGE OR MEDICATION ADVICE. Also dosages can't be concluded from size or image of patch.)

http://www.mylan.com/products/product-catalog/product-profile-page?id=2316e5c2-f503-49bf-be11-fc533d44f3f9

Note that it says "not actual size"; actual size is roughly 2" across as I recall.

http://www.minivelle.com/about/what-is-minivelle.php Shows Vivelle scaled to a dime, along with a new version they've come up with probably b/c a generic of Vivelle is supposed to come out soon.

Now just to clarify, (without speaking about specific dosages) are patches only for low dose or can they be high dose as well? I want to go with these but I also want to get the best and safest effects through hrt that I can since I am 19.
  •  

Jenna Marie

lilangel : You can search for Climara and Vivelle and Minivelle patches and see what dosages are available. All three are intended for menopausal cis women, so no, they don't do high dosages, but it's also possible to use more than one patch at once.

(Keep in mind that the conversion between patch and oral is not intuitive. The patch delivers directly to the bloodstream, so it requires far less estrogen to achieve the same blood levels as a given dosage of pills, which is one reason why it's safer. Patches always come in much, much smaller listed dosages than pills, and it's a question if determining what the equivalent amount in pills would be for the same *result.* Of course, the best dose is the smallest one that's most effective for you personally; there's no reason to go higher than that.)
  •