Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Ever write the "wrong" name?

Started by AbeLane, February 05, 2015, 10:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbeLane

So I'm still not out to the general public or most of my friends. Meaning I go by my birth name in the real world. And even with the friends I am out to. Still, I've been calling myself "Abe" for a while now. And now that I'm on Susan and use it more often than just in my own head, I keep catching myself writing it down at the top of homework assignments or typing it into e-mails. Luckily I always catch myself, but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
-e. e. cummings

"I still believe in heroes."
-Nick Fury, Avengers

•  

Mariah

I have this problem in reverse every once in awhile. I suppose it's what I get for picking a name that starts with the same letter. I will go to sign something and every once in awhile I will start to goof it up. I never get past the first few letters,  but it is nerve racking. So just because a person is or isn't out doesn't mean we all don't make mistakes when it comes to writing or signing our names even after we legally changed them like I have. It's completely normal when you get used to using a name to just write it down as if autopilot is in control.
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Beth Andrea

I wrote my old name twice after changing it...once on an order form (I destroyed it and rewrote a new one) and once when signing a package receipt...I wrote the first three letters of my first name, asked the guy if I could redo it and he said, not but it doesn't matter anyway because no human sees it, let alone read it.

:)

I love your avatar pic, Abe...cute guy! Mischievous smile, me likely!
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

skin

I have yet to print my old name, but I sign my old name frequently.
"Choosing to be true to one's self — despite challenges that may come with the journey — is an integral part of realizing not just one's own potential, but of realizing the true nature of our collective human spirit. This spirit is what makes us who we are, and by following that spirit as it manifests outwardly, and inwardly, you are benefiting us all." -Andrew WK
  •  

allisonsteph

I haven't written the wrong name for a long time (my legal name change was effective one year ago yesterday). My problem is at work the guy who sits next to me has the same name as my birth name. Every time I hear someone speak his name my head sort of tilts then I have to remind myself to not answer.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

AbeLane

Quote from: Mariah2014 on February 05, 2015, 10:36:09 AM
I have this problem in reverse every once in awhile. I suppose it's what I get for picking a name that starts with the same letter.
My birth name and chosen name start with the same letter too.

Quote from: Beth Andrea on February 05, 2015, 03:37:57 PM
I love your avatar pic, Abe...cute guy! Mischievous smile, me likely!
LOL, Thanks!
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
-e. e. cummings

"I still believe in heroes."
-Nick Fury, Avengers

•  

Taius

MAN. I have the opposite problem! I keep trying to get used to using Tai, when I've spent my life with my old name.
I get socially anxious sometimes, and go to introduce myself to someone and i just kind of stutter and them am like OH HI MY NAME IS _____ and it always freakin' comes out as my birth name.

Drives me up a wall. LOL
"Abusers are only as good as the sympathy they can get, and the empathy they can't give out."
  •