Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Every Breath a Black Trans Woman Takes Is an Act of Revolution

Started by Myarkstir, February 08, 2015, 07:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myarkstir

Every Breath a Black Trans Woman Takes Is an Act of Revolution

By Lourdes Ashley Hunter, Huffpost Gay Voice
Feb 6, 2015

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lourdes-ashley-hunter/every-breath-a-black-tran_b_6631124.html?utm_hp_ref=transgender

Black History Month was my favorite time of year from elementary to high school. Growing up in the 80's and 90's in Detroit, Michigan, a city rich with Black heritage from Motown to middle class families who thrived from -- and then lost -- almost everything with the mass exodus of the auto industry, Black History Month was the most exciting time for me and not just because my birthday is also this month. Throughout the years and my life, my mom has always taught me to have pride in my African and Indigenous heritage. Black History Month was the time we could openly celebrate all of who we are as a culture. It was a time that we as a people came together to reflect on all we had overcome navigating a system designed to erase us off the face of the earth. It was a time that we could unapologetically acknowledge the bloody truth of this nation.
Sylvia M.
Senior news staff

•