Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

beautiful but not passing

Started by amber roskamp, February 12, 2015, 06:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amber roskamp

I found a really interesting video of Laverne Cox talking about celebrating trans beauty whether or not they pass.
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/02/laverne-cox-passing-privilege/
  •  

Dee Marshall

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

amber roskamp

Yea she is so right about this and many of us within the trans community think that the only Way we can be beautiful is to pass perfectly. Which is sad because there are so many beautiful people in the trans community that think they are ugly cuz they don't "pass"
  •  

Dee Marshall

If I close my eyes and listen to her her voice is very androgynous to me. Looking at her it sounds all female. Doesn't that just warm your heart? It proves to me that a few male traits aren't a dealbreaker.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

barbie

Quote from: amber roskamp on February 12, 2015, 06:59:36 AM
I found a really interesting video of Laverne Cox talking about celebrating trans beauty whether or not they pass.
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/02/laverne-cox-passing-privilege/

We should be free to proudly pass as ourselves.

Yes! I can not agree more. I can not pass, mainly because of my low voice. People immediately say like "I thought you were a woman" after hearing my voice. I can not hide my identity as I interact with my friends, colleagues, students and new people every day.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

amber roskamp

Quote from: barbie on February 12, 2015, 02:21:43 PM
We should be free to proudly pass as ourselves.

Yes! I can not agree more. I can not pass, mainly because of my low voice. People immediately say like "I thought you were a woman" after hearing my voice. I can not hide my identity as I interact with my friends, colleagues, students and new people every day.

barbie~~

That's is so true Barbie! It is a great quote!
  •  

androgynouspainter26

These are rich words coming from a woman who has had a much plastic surgery as Laverne.  We can go on all we want about how passing privilege is an unjust thing, but the fact is it's just not going to change.  Nobody, not even other trans people would even be listening to what Laverne is saying if she didn't pass.  If a trans person doesn't pass, it's wrong for us to deny the fact that their quality of life will just be a lot lower than what everyone else experences.
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

Jill F

I thought it was quite uplifting, and she is right on the money about "passing as yourself". 

The fact is that Laverne Cox will never "pass" as a cis female because everyone knows who she is and that she makes no secret of her status.   I believe that her words and viewpoints are just as valid as those of any other trans* individual, "passing" or not.
  •  

Vanny

I live and see us people every month.  I love it that they are so brave to live regardless.  Everyone knows and I don't think after the first if they could give a anything.   I love it here. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Vanny

Oh and by the way I am going to start getting out again.  I am so encouraged at their strength and beauty. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

jamesapeat

I am very young 17 to be exact.  I desire beyond anything I can possible image to trans MTF and I am prepared to start hormones and take a transition slowly and come yo terms with my change as I progress but I don't know where I can find the exact type of estrogen I need at where to get it, 

And my family are aware of my feminine touches but haven't a clue of my true intentions...  Any advise will be mutch appreciated
  •  

Eveline

Quote from: jamesapeat on March 08, 2015, 10:21:01 AM
... I don't know where I can find the exact type of estrogen I need at where to get it ...

Honey, starting hormones is a serious decision, and you should try to see a trans-friendly therapist if you can to discuss things.

It may also be possible for you to start HRT under "informed consent", but that depends on your location. Folks in your area can give more specific information once they know in general terms where you live. :)
Eveline

Twitter: @evelineacarr
Facebook: eveline.a.carr
LinkedIn: evelinecarr

•  

ImagineKate

Quote from: jamesapeat on March 08, 2015, 10:21:01 AM
I am very young 17 to be exact.  I desire beyond anything I can possible image to trans MTF and I am prepared to start hormones and take a transition slowly and come yo terms with my change as I progress but I don't know where I can find the exact type of estrogen I need at where to get it, 

And my family are aware of my feminine touches but haven't a clue of my true intentions...  Any advise will be mutch appreciated

Seek out a competent gender therapist. Mind you that they may not allow you to transition until you turn 18, unless your parents consent.
  •  

ThePhoenix

Quote from: Jill F on February 12, 2015, 08:11:31 PM
I thought it was quite uplifting, and she is right on the money about "passing as yourself". 

The fact is that Laverne Cox will never "pass" as a cis female because everyone knows who she is and that she makes no secret of her status.   I believe that her words and viewpoints are just as valid as those of any other trans* individual, "passing" or not.

I saw an interview with her not too long ago in which she talked about how she etiol walks down the street and gets people taunting her with "you're a man."  Apparently not because people recognized her from the media, but because she was not so passable after all. 

I thought that was interesting, both because I would not have thought she would have that problem and because maybe she is the beginning of people who don't pass perfectly being considered presentable in the media? 

I can wish, anyway . . . .
  •  

StrykerXIII

Passing is 90% attitude. If I can go to a karaoke bar and still get "ma'am'd" after belting out Clapton in my decidedly baritone voice, I can pass anywhere.
To strive to reach the apex of evolution is folly, for to achieve the pinnacle is to birth a god.

When the Stryker fires, all turn to dust in its wake.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: StrykerXIII on March 11, 2015, 02:28:26 PM
Passing is 90% attitude. If I can go to a karaoke bar and still get "ma'am'd" after belting out Clapton in my decidedly baritone voice, I can pass anywhere.

I can not pass because of my low voice. Everybody watches me again once they hear my voice. It happens everyday.
barbie~~
Just do it.
  •