Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Why It Matters That Magic: The Gathering Now Has a Transgender Character

Started by PhoenixGurl2016, February 22, 2015, 05:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixGurl2016

Why It Matters That Magic: The Gathering Now Has a Transgender Character

post by Liza Dadoly on February 9, 2015

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/why-it-matters-that-magic-the-gathering-has-a-transgender-character

Wizard Just released a card in it's latest set that is Trans called Alesha, Who Smiles at Death. In the expand story of the character, She won a tournament where the Winner picks their name.

==========================
I do not know where to put this so forgive me if it is the wrong place.

Thoughts?

•  

IdontEven

FTA - As the khan announces the chosen name of each warrior who has proven themselves in battle, Alesha nervously waits to tell the khan her name. When she tells him she has chosen Alesha, her grandmother's name, he announces it to the horde "without a moment's pause." She recalls how the horde affirmed her identity when "the warriors of the Mardu shouted her name."

Almost made me tear up reading that very sweet bit of back-story! Thanks for the link :)

If only acceptance were so easy everywhere.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
  •  

AbbyKat

That's pretty awesome.  The story behind her naming is especially cool.  I've always meant to try to get into the lore behind that game but never had time.  Maybe I will now.

Also, before I read that article, I had no idea that there was so much resistance to it to begin with.  I always assumed it was a ratio thing.  If only one or so in a thousand people are trans, it would make sense if one didn't pop up in a collectible card game.  But now there's like a trillion cards, I suppose odds dictate that one of those characters ought to be transawesome.
  •  

PhoenixGurl2016

I personally do not play the game any more but I got a copy of the card, Do not know what I am going to do with it though

•  

VeryGnawty

Sorry, but my Demonic Hordes kills all characters, including transgender ones.  Make your move.
"The cake is a lie."
  •