Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Bless My Mother's Heart -OR- Fashion Sense, The Lack of

Started by Deanna, December 21, 2005, 04:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanna

To start off, my mom is a chronic thrift store shopper.  Who could blame her though?  She picks up cheap items, 99% of which are books.  She has a thriving home business of selling items (again, mostly books) on Amazon.com and Alibris.com.  Sometimes, however, when she is at the thrift store, she shops for clothes for me.  Usually when she comes home and says, "I've picked out some clothes I thought you might like", I usually say, "Well, did you get me anything girly this time?" and the answer is always no.  Well, today she comes home with a bag of clothes and begins pulling them out one by one, holding them up, and asking me how I like them.  They were all medium men's shirts, but not overtly masculine, which is pretty much the norm... until she got to the end of the bag.  She pulled out this brown and black women's suit jacket with SHOULDER PADS and no skirt with it.  The 80's called, they want their jacket back.

My thoughts:  "Mom, I love you dearly, and I appreciate you thinking about and acknowledging my feminine side, but I simply cannot wear that in public."  Now, I'm not a big shopper of trendy stores in the mall (although, I love hot topic), generally I go for what's new at Wal-Mart.  Their stuff is in style enough for me... at a good price.  I may even be able to find something a few years old in a thrift store myself, but I can't go back two decades.

I told her not to buy me any clothes unless I was with her.  Maybe she'll listen.  BTW, her feelings were not hurt, she's used to my pickiness... I think it's more funny to her than anything.
  •  

Peggiann

Yep,
Bless her heart! She's been a MOM for how long now? She was shopping for you in guy's department that long too. It will take her a while to shift gears too. You might sit together over a cup of tea, capachino(sp), what ever and look at JC Penny's catalog or even a Spegiel Catalog together. She'll like it. She'll be glad to see what your likes and dislikes are. Then she'll have something to compare while your not with her and the urge to be MOM again and by you something. That's just what Mom's do. I'm a mom and a Grandma IT's one of  the things we like doing thinking all the time we're doing a favor. She's not got to see the Female taste develop over the years like she has the male. Be patient and openly say something like "Mom this is new for us both...It will take me some time to share with you what I like and don't like in cloths now so please be patient with me and let's look together to see what might work."

Then as you look through look at body type of the models and look to see what fits short body, long body ect. You'll be suprised at how she might like the bonding to the new side of you.

Maybe,
Peggiann
  •  

Cassandra

QuoteThe 80's called, they want their jacket back.

LOL. An oldy but goody. By the way the 70's called and they want their joke back.  ;D

Quotelook at JC Penny's catalog

Whats with the JC Penny's catalogue? Everybody seems to suggest that. How about Elle or Cosmopolitan for the latest fashions. MSNBC has a great program called What's Hot and I really enjoy the fashion segment. There is something for every woman there. I'm not saying you should become a fashion plate if that's not your thing but J.C. Penny? The last time they had the latest fashion was before television. Admittadley I like Wal Mart but I just buy my underwear there.

Cassie
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Deanna,

It's really great that your mom is taking an interest in you and your clothing needs  ;D.  It really does seem that she is coming around though.  You mean you couldn't wear it just once to please your mom  ;D.  Mom's are like that, times to treasure, that's for sure.  I know from experience that you can find some real gems at thrift stores.  Some clothing styles live forever and you can always find great buys on sweaters.  I don't shop there as often as I used to but I still do from time to time.

Treasure your mom while you can, she is obviously a special person.

Steph
  •  

Peggiann

I was just using names of catalogs to get the point across of sharing time looking and stating likes and dislikes in cloths cuts. It can be any catalog with cloths. Budget wise I stated middle of the road. If MOm likes getting on the comfuter with you and looking on there are lot's of great sites for fashion there.

Peggiann
  •  

Cassandra

Please forgive me. I am going through some wild mood swings. Won't get into why that is here. It was really insensitive of me to go on like that. What is really great is that Deanna's mom is trying and for that god bless Deanna's mother.

Cassie
  •