News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

any good tips for eye shadow?

Started by CaptFido87, March 14, 2015, 06:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptFido87

Hi folks.

So as my topic says, I struggle with putting on eye shadow. I have the general concept of doing just the eyelid part over the eye ball and ending at the crease line. I use a powder eye shadow kit and I always end up with particles ending up under my eyes and when I try to fix them it just turns into a dark mess under my eyes. Any tips on how prevent this. Also I bought an eye liner pencil but I apparently don't know how to use it. It makes it look messier when I use it. I'm trying cover up the natural skin color of the eyelids by the eyelashes, but this doesn't apparently do that. What do I need for that one.

Thanks
Marty (Sammi)
Hi I'm Marty. I'm a MTF Transgender who wants nothing more than to finally let Samantha (Sammi) come out and play.

As of: 03/07/2015
  •  

skin

I take a piece of scotch tape to pick up all the fallout underneath my eyes.
"Choosing to be true to one's self — despite challenges that may come with the journey — is an integral part of realizing not just one's own potential, but of realizing the true nature of our collective human spirit. This spirit is what makes us who we are, and by following that spirit as it manifests outwardly, and inwardly, you are benefiting us all." -Andrew WK
  •  

CaptFido87

Interesting. Do you use foundation before doing this or after? Or at all?
Hi I'm Marty. I'm a MTF Transgender who wants nothing more than to finally let Samantha (Sammi) come out and play.

•  

skin

I do, and the tape picks up some of that as well. But when I touch it up it at least looks the right color as long as i picked up all the bits of shadow.
"Choosing to be true to one's self — despite challenges that may come with the journey — is an integral part of realizing not just one's own potential, but of realizing the true nature of our collective human spirit. This spirit is what makes us who we are, and by following that spirit as it manifests outwardly, and inwardly, you are benefiting us all." -Andrew WK
  •  

CaptFido87

Ahh ok neat trick. Thank you Skin.

•  

jessical

Apply makeup on the eyes first, even before primer or foundation.  Then take a makeup wipe, and clean any mess under the eye.  Then do the rest of the makeup.
  •  

CaptFido87

That's a smart plan. I knew thought about doing that. I Figured having some foundation or primer above your eyes was a good way to keep the eyeshadow sticking. I guess that's not entirely necessary. Thank you.

•  

jessical

I still do eye primer on the eyelid.  I just don't do primer anywhere else, until I am finished with the eyes.
  •  

CaptFido87

•  

spooky

Another trick is to apply a generous dusting of loose powder in your under eye area before doing your eyeshadow. This will be a slippery, powdery barrier between your foundation and the mess. Any fallout can be carefully knocked off with a few quick, light strokes of a fluff brush.
:icon_chick:
  •  

antonia

That, and blow away anything that drops down, if you cant blow it a way a q-tip will get it off, use a roll, swipe method.

Start with the lightest shade, I apply all colours and then blend from inside out since I always do lightest closest to centre, if I put a colour in the crease it get's more complicated and then you need to start wondering if you want to blend out and if you do, blend up, blend down, etc.

Quote from: spooky on March 14, 2015, 07:28:34 PM
Another trick is to apply a generous dusting of loose powder in your under eye area before doing your eyeshadow. This will be a slippery, powdery barrier between your foundation and the mess. Any fallout can be carefully knocked off with a few quick, light strokes of a fluff brush.
  •  

Eveline

I finally got disgusted with powder eye shadow and started using Clinique Chubby Stick for colors and NYC Jumbo Eye Pencil for white.

They go on creamy, make no mess, and are easy to blend with a soft brush.
Eveline

Twitter: @evelineacarr
Facebook: eveline.a.carr
LinkedIn: evelinecarr

•  

Cindy

If you want a nice clean eyeliner, take your eyelash curler apply pencil eyeliner to the upper edge, press and hold your eyelash and hey presto, a nice clean line. Takes a little practice but it works!

Probably a You-tube about it as well.

When I get pro make overs, if I'm going out somewhere fancy. They do the eyes first then foundation. They never use foundation on the eyes.

Buy yourself some nice make up brushes and on this one cost counts, quality is what you are looking for.
  •  

chefskenzie

Quote from: spooky on March 14, 2015, 07:28:34 PM

this 100%! oldest trick in the book and works great!
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.  Kahlil Gibran

•  

CaptFido87

Quote from: Eveline on March 14, 2015, 09:52:33 PM
I finally got disgusted with powder eye shadow and started using Clinique Chubby Stick for colors and NYC Jumbo Eye Pencil for white.

They go on creamy, make no mess, and are easy to blend with a soft brush.

These look really cool. I gotta give them a try.

Thanks everyone for the great tips and ideas. When I get some more money I'm gonna look for the items and see how they work.

•  

killedbydeath

My partner (qualified MUA) recommends these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/231467711735?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

They protect your under eye area while you're doing eye make up. You could also hold a tissue under your eye, or do your foundation after you've done your eye make up!
  •  

CaptFido87

So I gave this tip a try and and it worked pretty good. Obviously still struggled but it was a easier and turned out better than before. Very happy for the help, thanks a bunch!

•  

praneetharait

Many people get lot of doubts while applying eye shadow. Some people do lot of mistakes due to less awareness of how to apply eyeshadow perfectly. There are some simple tricks which can make it a way lot easier. To get step by step process of applying eyeshadow, read the post - http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/how-to-apply-eyeshadow-perfectly-with-detailed-steps-and-pictures/. It also includes various possible tips while applying the eyeshadow. I hope this post will give complete idea on applying eyeshadow without doing any mistakes.
  •  

CaptFido87

@ praneetharait

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out

•