Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

I'm lost...I dont know where to go

Started by acbonnett, March 16, 2015, 10:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acbonnett

Hey, my Name is Andrew and I'm 17.
I'm having issues at the moment. I sat on the couch revising my life from my early youth. And I've finally put the peices together, that said, I don't know what to do...im lost and I have nobody to talk to about my true feelings.
For all my life I've fought over the though of actually wanting to be a woman. I've fought the feelings back and now it all blew up in my face. I don't feel like a guy...inside atleast...on the outside I'm a man's man. I'm masculine, rough, etc. I'm the whole shibang on the outside, but I truly hate myself on the inside.

I need help, someone to discuss about what I'm going through and why.
  •  

LordKAT

Hi Andrew, welcome to Susan's.

You are definitely welcome here and plenty of us to talk to. That feeling of being one thing but putting on the face of another is quite common, and sadly miserable. Is there a counselor at school you can talk to? You could ask your parents to see a therapist. Tell them directly or tell them that you are feeling depressed and need help. Either way, it isn't easy to get through on your own.

There is a lot of information here and many friends to be made.

Here are some links to site rules and some answers to often asked questions.

•  

acbonnett

I've thought of all the options for the past few hours. But I can't bring myself to do it. Which is sad cause I can talk to my parents about anything, hell, when if was 12 I talked to my mom about be homosexual. Which soon after that I, myself, shot that idea out of the sky. I just don't understand why this is so much harder than that...
  •  

Dee Marshall

Perhaps this is harder because it much more strange and wonderful than merely being gay. Gay is common and barely noted these days. Or just perhaps it's because deep down you knew the label, gay, didn't fit you and this somehow does. Perhaps it's because considering you're trans is like looking down from the edge of a cliff so tall that the bottom is lost in mist and fog. The fall looks so dangerous that you don't see how you can survive it and, if you do, you don't know what to expect when you land.

If you're trans none of that is gonna matter, you're gonna leap eventually. You can't help it. Doesn't even mean you'll do anything about it other than acknowledge it. Some people don't though it's not in me to understand how.

If your mother is as understanding as you say then you're very lucky. Talk to her.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

acbonnett

I know I asked for help but this is really going to sound condinsending.

I've built a life, not on lies, but on what I feel like I was born to do. In this case it's to serve my country. Fight any threat on the front lines. This feeling I'm getting will >-bleeped-< all over that dream. But it's growing so strong and rapidly I couldn't hold it down. So I truly do not need the mamby pamby cliff malarkey. I need someone to bluntly tell me what the hell is going on and how I should approach this.

And Dee, the gay thing is right, I'll give you that. But the situation I'm in is much more complex than you think
  •  

kelly_aus

Quote from: acbonnett on March 16, 2015, 11:19:16 PM

I've built a life, not on lies, but on what I feel like I was born to do. In this case it's to serve my country. Fight any threat on the front lines. This feeling I'm getting will >-bleeped-< all over that dream. But it's growing so strong and rapidly I couldn't hold it down. So I truly do not need the mamby pamby cliff malarkey. I need someone to bluntly tell me what the hell is going on and how I should approach this.

And Dee, the gay thing is right, I'll give you that. But the situation I'm in is much more complex than you think

Well, golly gee, I'll tell my former specfor Captain to stop being touchy feely.

You likely need to go see a gender therapist and work out what you want to do from here. It doesn't go away. Some can suppress it for some time, but that's not an answer..
  •  

Laura_7

Well to tell you bluntly that fighting and those glorious images are an old paradigm.
In this kind of setting there has to be a winner and a loser. And there has to be someone who is somehow "right", telling where to go.
Sorry but thats not democratic. A new paradigm is to talk civilised about differences and handle that without violence.
Violent solutions are less and less acceptable.
And it takes more strenght to convince an opponent than to get violent.

Well, there is a website called gayteens dot about dot com where there is a quiz "am_i_trans.htm" . It might help you with a few thoughts, they state a few opinions of others, and explain a few terms. And it might help by showing you are not alone in this.
And you don't have to feel male all the time. A question would be would you prefer a more female body to be more happy ?

And you might look up a brochure for the british NHS called "doh-transgender-experiences.pdf" . Only thing I would disagree with is page 7, where they state stress, instead many experience relief.
It states that being trans has some biological connections, which is imo socially a bit better acceptable, and it might help with self acceptance.

Just remember there are many who have gone through this and reached their goals eventually :).

You could play around a bit with hair and clothing style... womens or unisex trousers, sweaters one or two sizes bigger... second hand stores could be a good source. It can be really fun.

And there are many who tried to fulfill gender roles, even overdo it, until they find its not what they are...
so I'd say just take the time you need...

You could reach out...
You might think about talking to a counselor... or a counselor at school you trust, or at a school gsa...
or you could call at the next lgbt center near you and ask for some counseling...
there might even be support groups...
you might say at home you want counseling, for emotional purposes, and pick someone who has, amongst others, gender on their list...

and if you want to talk to someone you can call one of those for example, people are there to help and give advice (there are many others):
glnh dot org/talkline/ (this is the national lgbt youth helpline)
translifeline dot org

Sometimes its dependent on the person on the line.. just keep at it and reach out...

And, well, please remember its a process... I'd say take the time you need, but keep at it...

and come here, and ask questions... alone writing often helps...

hugs
  •  

Beverly

I need someone to bluntly tell me what the hell is going on and how I should approach this.

OK - my unvarnished opinions based on what you have posted in this and other threads....

You are in denial about your inner drives and are trying to suppress them by joining the army to be a man's man, all macho, angry, tough and hard. You think if you do this you can ignore those inner feelings. They will go away and no one will ever have to know your inner shame, your dirty secret, your deepest desire and wish.

The thing is that you are not the first person to think this way. Most of us have tried it and for a few years it works but the drives and feelings are always there. They can be suppressed for a while longer by working so hard that each day you are exhausted, by taking risks that require total concentration for hours just to stay alive, but no one can do this forever.

People here are telling you to go get help but you likely see that as the first step to letting "her" out, the beginning of defeat, or having to tell people, so you argue back "No! No! No! I must join the military! I must run around being tough and killing my countries enemies. I'm a man!!!". Except it seems you are not a man, you seem to be a woman that looks like a man.

Denial is powerful, but not as powerful as being true to yourself and your true self will win. Go to a therapist. Discuss this and find out how to deal with it or it will torture you until you do.

Is that blunt enough?

Corrected error pointed out by acbonnett
  •  

acbonnett

>-bleeped-< yea it was blunt. But you seem to stay on the subject of me and the military. (Which it's the USAF I'm joining) the reason why I'm joining isn't over my personal issues. Its because I want to, I've always wanted to join. So with that aside what's your argument.
  •  

acbonnett

I'm just saying, your advice was orbiting around the idea of me going into the military. Without that to use what's your argument. The macho, tough, and anger are the three things that makes me. It's something I've always been. Not necessarily due to denial. The random rage spikes are due to it but not all of my anger is from it.
  •  

Beverly

Quote from: acbonnett on March 18, 2015, 08:23:09 AM
I'm just saying, your advice was orbiting around the idea of me going into the military. Without that to use what's your argument.

Many trans-women use their careers to distract themselves from dealing with their gender issues. As a strategy it very rarely works. Our gender issues win.

Quote from: acbonnett on March 18, 2015, 08:23:09 AMThe macho, tough, and anger are the three things that makes me.

Yeah... I used to say things like that too. I have a pilot's licence and an ocean going skipper's licence. When I finally lost the battle of "being a man" and admitted to the world that I was a woman, people said "But you were so manly - I cannot believe it". A fat lot of good it did me...

Quote from: acbonnett on March 18, 2015, 08:23:09 AM
It's something I've always been. Not necessarily due to denial. The random rage spikes are due to it but not all of my anger is from it.

Nonetheless, my advice is the same. Get professional help. If you do not deal with your issues then they will deal with you.
  •