Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

3rd Therapy Session - Struggling With Self Identity

Started by Amy85, March 24, 2015, 05:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy85

So today was my third therapy session and while most of it was focusing on the huge issue of coming out to my girlfriend (which will be dealt with properly next session when she will actually come with me to talk to the therapist) a small part was talking about my inner turmoil regarding what I am, or how I should self identify. Throughout the process of acknowledging and accepting my desire to be female I have always held onto the uncertainty, the possibility that I am just a confused crossdressing man. Somehow I felt it was comforting to have that possibility to hold on to. After writing and telling my "story" of how I have felt and dealt with those feelings all my life I think about it and logically it just makes sense that I am transgender and a woman on the inside. Emotionally though I can't fully accept that and make myself say it really. My therapist pointed out that  holding onto the uncertainty is both a comfort and a source of anxiety at the same time. It made me think and maybe I should just take the plunge and try to fully accept how I am? A transwoman with the body of a masculine man... even if I don't express that identity as I am still deep in the closet to pretty much everyone.

Has anyone else had such trouble letting go of their past identity? It seems like the most common story is of people who know for sure who and what they are, and the struggle they go through to make sure others know it and that they are seen as such. It would be nice to hear from others who struggled with this issue of going from "questioning" to trans.
  •  

JoanneB

I've been dealing with that conundrum for decades. After a good 5 years of taking on the trans beast, for real, and about as many in therapy, the last two being with a for real Gender Therapist, I am no closer to an answer.

A good 80% or so of what I see as making me, me; has little to do with gender. The biggest exception is my wife, who is far from thrilled over this development, yet supportive to a point. My Number 1 goal opening this Can-O-Worms was to figure out how to get these two different aspects of ME to coexist peacefully. To be one whole, healthy and hopefully happy person. That I have mostly succeeded in doing.

When I started this process transition was the absolute farthest thing on my mind. Been there twice in my 20's. Today, the answer is not so sure. My personal growth these past five years has been amazing. I know now I am up to the challenges of a full-time transition. I know to a good degree I have achieved my life long dream of being seen as and accepted as a woman. I also know now, more than ever, what the very real cost of going full-time can mean. I have also lost a lot of my binary thinking. There are always options. THere is never a perfect solution.

A few years ago while talking to my therapist I said "I know I am a transsexual". Far from the first time I said it, but something that day hit me... I took full ownership of it, without shame, without guilt. Yes, I am a transsexual. Funny how I hardly ever say or think "I am a woman". Maybe it is some deep seated logic daemon preventing it on a few technicalities my engineer head will not exempt. Perhaps some still lingering inner transphobia. I sure don't WANT to be trans and if I keep on saying to myself I am a woman... well that sort of leaves me with few options. Basically... two. I like having a Plan B & C & D

Being trans for some or many can be managed successfully without a transition to full-time. I consider myself blessed in that I am one of those lucky ones for whom not transitioning is an option. (Well, at least this week it is an option) I find a lot of solace in that. Yes, it hurts a lot seeing the newbies in my TG support group within a year or two go full-time. I wish at times my life was that simple. I also love my life and being me more then ever before.. .as complicated as it it is most days.

Life is all about balance. There are many aspects that need to be juggled. Life's priorities are always subject to change. Which then leads to further re-balancing. And life is NEVER static. (Or I sure hope not! OK a day or two would be nice  ;) )

My wife loves to say "The heart wants what the heart wants", usually followed by "You're going to do what you're going to do". Well, my heart wants to keep with some surety all that I have today. Having the chance to feel 100% genuine 100% of the time is like a dream. The fish slap or reality will wake me up finding out that dream cost me a lot more then what I got in return. Today, I can settle for 90% genuine most of the time.

Not bad considering 6 years ago I was at Negative 30% genuine 100% of the time.
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Amy85

You know what? Screw the self doubt and inner turmoil. I want to be female, to embrace the woman inside me who has been crying and fighting to be heard for 29 years. I have wanted it so badly and for so long that I am tired of fighting it. Even if I have to be a man in every other aspect of my life for who knows how long due to certain circumstances, I can at least embrace her here in this safe place. In this place at least I am done holding onto the doubt and possibility that I am just confused. I'm not "questioning" it any more.
  •  

Ms Grace

Sometimes we spend so long trying to hide ourselves for fear of recrimination and humiliation and rejection that even when we are ready to come out it is extremely difficult - sometimes we're the ones who keep the door shut on ourselves. I get the feeling you're about to hold it open a little bit wider!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Anastazja

I know this is an old topic but I have been going through some of this myself.  I tried to hold onto the possibility of being "just a crossdresser" but that small comfort soon faded as I began to be honest with myself and fully explore my feelings.  The trick is to just be honest with yourself and accept the feelings as they come; its jarring to have these thoughts and especially so when you finally start to come to terms with them, but one thing I have noticed is that once I finally did that, every aspect of my life started to improve.  There are still bad days, but we all have those and I think the thing that matters is how you handle them when they do come.  Once you pinpoint a source of anxiety, it becomes increasingly more difficult to use it as a comfort.  It's kind of like smoking cigarettes; it's dumb fun when you are young and don't care, but once you learn about the nasty long-term effects, you can't stop thinking about it while you're smoking; hence, a comfort turns to a source of anxiety.  Telling myself things like 'I could never transition because ...' or 'I would never be passable because ....'  was just a way of trying to push off the inescapable truth; I am a transwoman who was just trying to come to terms with it.  I have known this about myself for some time now, it was just a matter of accepting it but once that finally happened, the clouds parted and I was finally able to become the me I always felt I could be.  I am really happy that you have had your 'wow' moment as well. 

It is my sincere hope that you come to know the peace and tranquility that has finally arrived in my life.

-Ana
Peace and love:  Everybody gets the hug!!!
Peace and love:  Everybody have the high-fives and cakes!!
Peace and love:  I want the cheese for breakfast!!
  •  

Amy85

Quote from: Anastazja on June 03, 2015, 01:28:59 AM
I know this is an old topic but I have been going through some of this myself.  I tried to hold onto the possibility of being "just a crossdresser" but that small comfort soon faded as I began to be honest with myself and fully explore my feelings.  The trick is to just be honest with yourself and accept the feelings as they come; its jarring to have these thoughts and especially so when you finally start to come to terms with them, but one thing I have noticed is that once I finally did that, every aspect of my life started to improve.  There are still bad days, but we all have those and I think the thing that matters is how you handle them when they do come.  Once you pinpoint a source of anxiety, it becomes increasingly more difficult to use it as a comfort.  It's kind of like smoking cigarettes; it's dumb fun when you are young and don't care, but once you learn about the nasty long-term effects, you can't stop thinking about it while you're smoking; hence, a comfort turns to a source of anxiety.  Telling myself things like 'I could never transition because ...' or 'I would never be passable because ....'  was just a way of trying to push off the inescapable truth; I am a transwoman who was just trying to come to terms with it.  I have known this about myself for some time now, it was just a matter of accepting it but once that finally happened, the clouds parted and I was finally able to become the me I always felt I could be.  I am really happy that you have had your 'wow' moment as well. 

It is my sincere hope that you come to know the peace and tranquility that has finally arrived in my life.

-Ana

Thanks for the wonderful post. I hope things continue to go well for you in your journey. I can't say things are going great with me. I came to the point where I was forced to decide whether to ask my doctor about going on HRT or not, and I chickened out. I couldn't get past what I'd be giving up, among which is primarily my fertility and ability to one day have a happy family life with my girlfriend. I can't afford to bank enough sperm to bypass the infertility issue and so I have slid backwards into my old male role and have stopped acknowledging any trans feelings to my girlfriend and have stopped therapy altogether. I do secretly crossdress in private to get by, but it feels like I am a prisoner and wearing my female attire in private is merely glimpsing out of a window in my prison cell. It's not enough to keep away the bad feelings. I stopped shaving body hair and let my beard grow back... everyone I knew kept telling me I looked better with it and I have to admit it's true. I'm pretty much back to where I used to be when I was denying what I was and repressing those feelings, except now that I've been through the therapy and realization of what those feelings are the depression and gut-wrenching heartache I feel when I think of the life as a woman that I'll never have are much worse. It feels like grief... and I lost my father last November so I have a recent example of grief to compare it to :(

I think next time I see my doctor I might ask about anti-depressants to help myself get by. That plus venting on the internet may hopefully be enough :P
  •  

Cindy

We all walk our own path. But I will say that gender dysphoria never gets better. It gets worse. Sadly now you are with your family here it may get even worse knowing that many of us live happy lives as ourselves.

Sometime, somehow we have to make a decision. Will I be a miserable caricature of a man or a happy woman?

No one but you can answer that.

I remember the first therapy session I had. I begged my psychiatrist to do something to make me a man. His response? 'I can change your body to match your brain, but I can't change your brain to match your body.'

I transitioned.

I'm so sorry, I wish his path was easier.

Yes, get some anti-depressant medication and talk, to us, your medics and if you can your partner. She is tied up in this as well - in a big way.

Love Hon

Cindy
  •  

Anastazja

I'm sorry to hear that things are not going as well as they could be; I, too, had a very brief backslide several months ago where I stopped doing the shaving and grooming.  It almost felt like I needed to try my hand at being a boy one last time; my face got all hairy and my depression returned.  Admittedly, the pace of these changes increased dramatically once I found out my fiance was pregnant; with the biological duty satisfied, the repressed feelings completely took on a life of their own.  Now, I'm gingerly typing this post with only the tips of my fingers because the paint on my nails hasn't set yet and I don't want any crinkles.  Emailed several gender therapists last night to get the ball rolling on HRT and will be looking into electro once the engagement ring is paid off.  Cindy is right - the dysphoria does not get better and it does not go away; once you have the personal realization that that is what is happening, all the other things you may or may not be or have been experiencing come sharply into focus. 

Do you usually have a short haircut sweetie?  I used to and I also rocked the full beard for a while to hide what I felt, at the time, to be a very unmanly face.  As you can probably see in my avatar, I have what is often referred to as a 'little boys face' and the facial hair helped to offset that a bit.  I am 31 and still get carded when buying liquor.  Sorry, that was a little braggy, but braggy with a point; there used to be shame associated with my face and it affected my whole personality.  I never looked people in the eyes, slouched when I walked, was moody, and generally was not well-liked by people who spent any significant amount of time with me.  My beard was both physical and metaphorical; it held off both people and scary thoughts because it was like a mask of maturity.  People saw the beard and kind of just assumed that I was a typical, responsible male; behind that velvet curtain, however, my life was an absolute mess and I was heading for some serious interpersonal problems.  As Cindy so precisely put it, I was a "...caricature of a man..." and that is truly no way to live your life. 

What is the state of things for me 6 months after T-Day?  Panties and cute workout tanks have completely replaced boxer shorts as undergarments; I gave all my male undergarments to my fiance because wearing them for any significant length of time now makes me feel just kind of all around bad.  No more boy shower scents or deodorant.   My new scent is Axe for her; I wear that body spray proudly into public every day and it is quite liberating.  Also, as previously mentioned, my nails are painted all the time now; I do all my public interactions with my pretty nails and it has caused some surprised faces, but painting my nails makes me feel so feminine that I do not care in the slightest.  The fiance purchased some bras for me that are the correct size and those are now also included in my daily attire. The next big step is arriving today; I ordered my very first purse and wallet the other night and the anticipation I have been feeling the last 4 days has been unlike anything I've ever felt in the past.  This is also a personal milestone because I intend to begin wearing it into public, signaling the start of the public face of my transition.  It's scary, but there is an overriding desire to express my soul that has taken away all the fear I suspect some would feel at taking such a step. 

My last male haircut (which was horrible btw) was 4/11/15, and once the length comes back, I plan on a nice cut and color which will come along with eyebrow shaping.  Why am I telling you all this?  Hope.  For some people, not transitioning is not an answer; you answered a somewhat old thread pretty rapidly which indicates to me that there may be some urgency to these issues.  The fertility thing is a bear, no doubt about that one, but you should remember that there are tons and tons of children out there that need a loving, adoptive parent.  I think that is actually very poetic; trans people are often considered outcasts from society and so are orphaned and foster children.  Why shouldn't our two groups look after one another?  Trans folks have some of the biggest hearts of anyone on the planet and the world needs our love now more than ever.  But, the bearing and rearing of children is a highly personal choice and I am in no way attempting to tell you what to do.  Feeling like a prisoner in your own life is one of the worst things a person can experience, but never say never; it is YOUR life and YOU are in charge of how it plays out.  Paddle your own canoe, my friend. 

Grief is a genuine and valid response to what you are proposing and you are correct in recognizing it as such.  I am sincerely sorry for the long-winded response, but I have always been an empathetic person and I feel there is a sense of urgency to your messages that is lacking from many other topics on this board.  I sincerely hope that you are able to find a path that leads you to your own peace; this is your life honey and you don't deserve anything less than the best. 

My love to you.

-Ana
Peace and love:  Everybody gets the hug!!!
Peace and love:  Everybody have the high-fives and cakes!!
Peace and love:  I want the cheese for breakfast!!
  •