Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

hrt who sets the standards (gatekeepers)

Started by Alissa16, April 28, 2015, 03:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alissa16

Yesterday was the culmination of 4 months of blood work, therapy sessions.waiting,Skype sessions, more
waiting..Efficiency nor competence is mentioned this is the VA we're talking about.
Like I'd  said I've been anxously awaiting this endo appointment and to finally obtain approverd hormone therapy
treatment.
Of course being the VA you don't need to inform the patient what your game plan is;
Out of the eleven vials of blood drawn by the request of my shrink to determine levels prior to treatment...
My tsh (thyroid stimulating hormone) level read high..
So I was just a bit shocked that this long awaited endo appointment was only interested in prescribing thyroid
medicine.
After some additional questions and answers I was told that he doesn't prescribe hormones unless that person
is living as a female!! Shades of the 1950's! Harry Benjamin and all!! ...So much for living in this enlightened
21st century.
So here Iam 64 years old..that's a lot of testosterone poisoning to overcome!!..So Iam to live and present
female and; if high and mighty endo approves of my looks(the leecher) then, I'll be prescribed hormones?!
I didn't know that the VA was a part of the Norwegian government!!!
  •  

Ms Grace

Sorry to hear that. What's the VA? A government program? Maybe go to another endo or do you lose benefits?
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Cindy

Down load the SOC7 and give it to them. It is available from our wiki or from wpath.org or on google.
  •  

Squircle

That's mainly the case with the NHS here in the UK as well. They usually require around 6 months RLE before they'll prescribe. At the end of the day they are, in their minds, protecting both the patient and themselves. They are basically looking for some evidence that you are committed and that you can adjust comfortably to a new gender role. I'm not saying that's always the right way, it's just the way they operate.

I knew this was the way things were done so I just went full time when I thought the time was right. I had to wear a wig, I didnt look very good, but at least I was moving forwards, and I'm actually really glad I did it now. If I'd been waiting for hormones to make me actually look better, I'd still be a miserable guy right now.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Alissa16 on April 28, 2015, 03:44:12 AM

Yesterday was the culmination of 4 months of blood work, therapy sessions.waiting,Skype sessions, more
waiting..Efficiency nor competence is mentioned this is the VA we're talking about.
Like I'd  said I've been anxously awaiting this endo appointment and to finally obtain approverd hormone therapy
treatment.
Of course being the VA you don't need to inform the patient what your game plan is;
Out of the eleven vials of blood drawn by the request of my shrink to determine levels prior to treatment...
My tsh (thyroid stimulating hormone) level read high..
So I was just a bit shocked that this long awaited endo appointment was only interested in prescribing thyroid
medicine.
After some additional questions and answers I was told that he doesn't prescribe hormones unless that person
is living as a female!! Shades of the 1950's! Harry Benjamin and all!! ...So much for living in this enlightened
21st century.
So here Iam 64 years old..that's a lot of testosterone poisoning to overcome!!..So Iam to live and present
female and; if high and mighty endo approves of my looks(the leecher) then, I'll be prescribed hormones?!
I didn't know that the VA was a part of the Norwegian government!!!

This is a pdf file of VA Directive 2013-003, it is their own internal document on the care and treatment of transgender people. It is in effect through 2018. Give this information to your doctor and you should be back on track. Hope this helps!

Hugs, Devlyn

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp%3Fpub_ID%3D2863&sa=U&ei=wgdAVebgIIPHogTxqoG4Bw&ved=0CA8QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNF6lt4XHzWxQ6YXBNBkKubv4FfagQ
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Ms Grace on April 28, 2015, 04:00:34 AM
Sorry to hear that. What's the VA? A government program? Maybe go to another endo or do you lose benefits?

The VA is the Veterans Administration. They take over your healthcare after you leave active duty military service.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Devlyn

Also, Alissa, we'd love to see you at Roll Call!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

amber roskamp

Try a different endo. It's sounds like an >-bleeped-<.
  •