Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Switching therapists (involuntarily)

Started by acd_92, April 30, 2015, 06:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acd_92

My therapist will be away for the summer and he is therefore matching me up with a sort of interim therapist of sorts. This is my first time switching therapists in any way (I was lucky enough to click with mine immediately) - do any of you have experiences with this sort of situation. I'm rather nervous about it! Thanks!
  •  

Mariah

I have never had to switch therapists, but I did have to add an additional one in to be able to get the second letter required for surgery. Going in I really didn't know what to expect with her and when I went back with her for the first appointment I would have sworn you could here I pin drop. She realized I wasn't going to start the session and she decided to instead. True she was only required for a couple sessions to get the letter and we both knew coming in why I was there, but still who knew a room could be so silent for that brief moment. All I can say is be yourself along with being open and honest with the new therapist. I hope it goes well. Good luck and hugs.
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

iKate

I had to switch as mine last year as said she was ending her NYC practice. But in reality I think she was in over her head with me and I was not happy with her. She recommended two others but I chose another and I'm actually going to see her today.

I did have to give her a "catch up" session in where I am and we had to discuss goals etc. But after that it was smooth sailing. She has helped me come out to my parents, navigate my wife and kids (still helping) and decide next steps including coming out at work, going full time and surgery.
  •  

Laura_7

There might be the small possibility the other therapist is a little bit similar in some way... after all they know each other and might have something in common.

And you might simply ask... what kind of style the other therapist has, what their experience with transgender people is... etc...

I'd say don't be too nervous...

hugs

•  

Tysilio

I've switched or started over with therapists many times over the years. The first couple of sessions are nothing to feel nervous about; at worst, it's a bit of an annoyance to have to recite one's troubled history yet again -- breaking in the new therapist, as it were.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •