Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What an American Tourist found out about Australia!

Started by Cindy, May 12, 2015, 03:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

I read this earlier, so just for a laugh for all of you people wanting to escape to the Land Down Under.

WHAT happens when an American tourist comes to Australia? Colin says he was totally unprepared for our blistering sun, copious drinking and terrifying wildlife.

1. I didn't wear sunscreen
Turns out the hole in the ozone layer isn't just some cabalistic buzzword to describe global warming, one that doesn't actually impact your life in any meaningful way. Turns out the ozone hole is painfully real.

2. I misjudged the distance between towns
Australia doesn't put nearly as many petrol stations on its long stretches of highway as you'd think. So you have two choices: Bring enough petrol, or bring enough food and water. I myself chose neither.

3. I tried to handle the wildlife
You'd think the internet would have taught me beforehand. In fact, it took swelling to the approximate size and colour of the Kool Aid Guy to realise that, hey moron, you can't just let white tail spiders crawl on you. At least it matched my sunburn.

4. I tried to avoid handling the wildlife
Blue-ringed octopuses like to hang out in rock pools. You know what else hangs out in rock pools? Big, sharp rocks that you can't just jump over to get away from octopuses.

5. I tried to give wildlife as wide a berth as possible
Because even when you think you're just taking a nice walk through the rainforest, a wait-a-while vine has to just reach out and remind your ankles that you're living on borrowed time, and who needs skin anyway?

6. I just went ahead and stayed the hell away from nature
And then promptly got hit by a car. Muscle memory is a lifesaver in some instances. Which way you turn to look down the road as you cross is not one of them.

7. I tried to plan for the weather
People talk about Australia like it's either a giant red desert or a gorgeous, surf-laden beach. I was under that impression when I arrived, but those hailstones certainly taught me a lesson. Taught my car windshield a lesson, too.

8. I tried to outdrink a bogan
Who would have guessed that a guy who lives on a farm 10 hours from the nearest building with nothing to do all day would be so good at drinking? Cheers mate.

9. I tried to outdrink a city dweller
HOW CAN THEY ALL DRINK SO MUCH? DO THEY NOT HAVE WORK IN THE MORNING?

10. I tried to drink goon
Goon sacks are five-litre bags of nasty wine that cost about the same as a hamburger. Drink such prestigious flavours as Fruity Lexia and Crisp Dry White, while ignoring the fact that the ingredients list includes such overtones as fish and eggs. You'll taste them the next morning.

11. I tried to drink anything
If you want to avoid goon, you're going to be paying somewhere between "Guess I'm not eating this week" and "Guess I'm not paying rent this month." Sure, my body was in one piece. But when I woke up the next day and looked at my credit card statement, my spirit cracked in half.

12. I picked up some bad habits
Despite cigarettes costing $20 for a pack, loads of people do it anyway. Way more than in America. And they're all too happy to bum them out to Americans drunk on goon.

13. I went for a second year visa
Working holiday tourists can earn a second year in Australia by toiling away for three months on a remote farm filled with snakes, spiders, and presumably, the dude from Wolf Creek. Or, I mean, everybody except Americans can earn a second year. Which nobody thought to tell me until a month in.

14. I went in when the AUD was worth $0.94 USD ... and left when it was worth $0.74
Remember that bit about my spirit cracking in half? That was being drowned in puppies and supermodels compared to sending my tax return home.

15. I left
And that's the most painful memory of them all.
  •  

Ms Grace

I had a good laugh!

Quote from: Cindy on May 12, 2015, 03:13:51 AM
5. I tried to give wildlife as wide a berth as possible
Because even when you think you're just taking a nice walk through the rainforest, a wait-a-while vine has to just reach out and remind your ankles that you're living on borrowed time, and who needs skin anyway?

Never heard of these, looked them up... sound dangerous! The only thing that would make them scarier would be if they were part of a carnivorous plant!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

katrinaw

So funneee....

Please come back for a second chapter  :laugh:

Katy
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

noeleena

Hi,

That was good,  just one point he never came over the ditch and seen our lot we may be a bit smaller yet we can dish it up as well  and white tail.s if ya like  And if ya dont like it will send you off to Ripper island  no food no water and  wont say nothing about the ...........

Port Arther in Tas,e  well youll get the idear ,.....

...noeleena...
Hi. from New Zealand, Im a woman of difference & intersex who is living life to the full.   we have 3 grown up kids and 11 grand kid's 6 boy's & 5 girl's,
Jos and i are still friends and  is very happy with her new life with someone.
  •  

Anna++

Sometimes I blog things

Of course I'm sane.  When trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.

•  

marsh monster

I learned a lot about Australia watching the Mad Max series of documentaries. It was pretty informative!
  •  

BlonT

Always nice to learn of other places and cultures , luring dangers and drinking habits :)
Presented in a humorous en learning way . You just got to love that aussies.
  •  

katrinaw

We do... and mines a Red
(wine that is, not a roo!)

L Katy
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: marsh monster on May 12, 2015, 07:32:07 AM
I learned a lot about Australia watching the Mad Max series of documentaries. It was pretty informative!

Sometimes I think that is my daily commute!
  •  

Lily Rose

Quote from: Cindy on May 12, 2015, 03:13:51 AM
2. I misjudged the distance between towns
Australia doesn't put nearly as many petrol stations on its long stretches of highway as you'd think. So you have two choices: Bring enough petrol, or bring enough food and water. I myself chose neither.

i guess this person never watched mad max or crocodile dundee. goon as from the amount (LMAO) sounds like some cheap wine i use to drink as a kid. can not remember if it was boones farm or something cheaper.

p.s. i remembered the cheap wine "mad dog"
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •