Main Menu

Edmonton Catholic school bans transgender child, 7, from girls' washroom

Started by Athena, May 14, 2015, 08:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Athena

Edmonton Catholic school bans transgender child, 7, from girls' washroom

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/catholic-school-bans-transgender-child-120607056.html

CBC

"An Edmonton mother has filed a complaint with the Alberta Human Rights Commission after the Catholic school district refused to let her transgender child, born a male, use the girls' washroom."

"The mother said she was told it could take three years to have an investigator assigned."
Formally known as White Rabbit
  •  

suzifrommd

:eusa_wall:

Though the Catholic church is well known not to be trans-friendly organization, and it could be said that the parents are not required to send their daughter to a school that is run by them.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: suzifrommd on May 14, 2015, 09:01:52 AM
:eusa_wall:

Though the Catholic church is well known not to be trans-friendly organization, and it could be said that the parents are not required to send their daughter to a school that is run by them.

Presumably the parents are Catholic...in which case the choice to go elsewhere is not really a choice. The Church is wrong in having discriminatory policies, and like any big business they only change when facing a lawsuit.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Beth Andrea on May 14, 2015, 09:25:41 AM
Presumably the parents are Catholic...in which case the choice to go elsewhere is not really a choice. The Church is wrong in having discriminatory policies, and like any big business they only change when facing a lawsuit.

Well being Catholic is a choice, right? Canada has religious freedom. No one is making them remain a member of a church that doesn't support gender transition. There are plenty of churches that do.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

LordKAT

Even if parents are catholic as mine are, you don't have to go to a private school.
  •  

Athena

Catholic trustees in war of words over transgender student

CBC news 5/14/15

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/catholic-trustees-war-words-over-180806725.html

A war of words and principles has broken out among Edmonton Catholic trustees over the rights of a seven-year-old transgender girl, whose mother has filed a human rights complaint against the board.

Trustee Patricia Grell recently wrote a blog post supporting the girl, who was banned from using the girls' washroom in the school. Grell then turned on the TV news and learned that board chair Debbie Engel had called on her resignation.

"I am not resigning over this social justice issue," Grell told CBC News on Thursday.

============
A little bit more to this story here.
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: suzifrommd on May 14, 2015, 11:52:10 AM
Well being Catholic is a choice, right? Canada has religious freedom. No one is making them remain a member of a church that doesn't support gender transition. There are plenty of churches that do.

It would be a choice if all churches and faiths taught the same doctrine...in which case it'd be no different than choosing a grocery store..."oh I like the store downtown, and my neighbor likes the one out in the suburbs."

But matters of faith are not like that. When one believes that G-d has blessed *insert faith here*, then attendance (including religious schooling) becomes a matter of conscience.

Here, we see the innate conflict between a particular religious/organizational doctrine and the self-identity  conscience of the individual...who prevails? The state (or organization, in this case) or the individual?

I don't have the answer. But the solution, if any is to be found, will be determined through such conflicts and reconciliations.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

enigmaticrorschach

Catholic School Board chair defends discouraging transgender girl from using girls' washroom

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/05/14/catholic-school-board-chair-defends-discouraging-transgender-girl-from-using-girls-washroom

By Pamela Roth
May 14, 2015

"he head of Edmonton Catholic Schools' Board of Trustees is disappointed the district is being painted as a "district who doesn't care" about where a seven-year-old transgender student wants to go to the bathroom at school."
  •  

Athena

Update with a trigger warning

Transgender girl's mother begs Catholic school board not to punish trustee

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/transgender-girls-mother-begs-catholic-235244221.html

CBC

"The mother of a transgender girl who was banned from using the female washroom at her Edmonton school is standing beside the school trustee who came to her daughter's defence, and who might now face punishment from the board."

"-"She did nothing but give a little girl a voice. She is an angel, and she is the angel that we had been praying for," the girl's mother said of Edmonton Catholic School Board trustee Patricia Grell.-"
  •  

stephaniec

Transgender child wins use of girls washroom in catholic school

Update CBC news/ Edmonton/ 05/29/2015

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/transgender-child-wins-use-of-girls-washroom-in-catholic-school-1.3079971

" Is this a today solution and then next year it's a different solution? I'm very torn."
  •