Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

thinking of changing my diet

Started by enigmaticrorschach, May 15, 2015, 12:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enigmaticrorschach

so, since going on spiro, i'm thinking of changing my diet. what kind of foods should are recommended and not recommended?
  •  

carsandsarcasm

I could go into excruciating detail about nutrition, but a good rule of thumb is to avoid foods with a barcode. Stick to the produce aisles and buy meat, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Opinions and preferences vary on dairy, but I like it, so I throw that in as well. Foods to avoid are most things that come in boxes, cans, jars, etc. Not because of some vague "Chemicals/preservatives" argument, but because of a specific additive know as High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFC). The stuff is a nutritional disaster, I'll spare you the details of why, but it's to be avoided.

Things that all but guarantee weight loss are cutting back on or eliminating booze and soft drink. Booze has the effect of basically stalling the body for a day, and soft drinks are pure HFC. Both will greatly hinder weight loss. Diet soft drinks aren't good by any means, but switching to diet is better that sticking with full sugar.

Once you have your foods in order, calculate your BMR and TDEE. There are calculators for this online. I recommend also putting some time into reading up of macronutrient and micronutrient requirements too. Eating a balanced diet is likely to hit all the requirements anyway, but being deficient in one is a good way to be hit with crushing cravings. Make up some meal plans that put you in the right range of what you need, and that's pretty much it. The first few weeks require a bit of active thought, effort, and willpower, but once your eyes learn what a healthy day's food looks like, and once your body gets used to a quality intake, it becomes thoughtless and weight loss happen automatically.
  •  

Yenneffer

Be careful of high potassium foods like bananas potatos etc while on spiro.Also avoid sodium and drink plenty of water while on spiro because it causes dehydration.I did the 1 meal a day diet and lost 224ibs
Hugs I love you brothers and sisters just forgive this confused girl
  •  

FTMax

Shop on the outer rim of the grocery store. Fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy, whole grains, etc. Anything that comes in a box or can, you can probably learn to make yourself - and it'll taste fresher and have greater nutritional value.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

enigmaticrorschach

thanks guys. well my metabolism is FTL so i wouldnt have to worry about my weight. so wait, avoid cans and boxes or not avoid cans and boxes? one saying nah and the other say yah. lol
  •  

katrinaw

Agreed, avoid processed food, and those with high Potassium...
Balance your Carb intake with Protein and Veges and fruit.

Whilst I am not Vegetarian I do love vegetarian food, however I also have an awful weakness with any form of Asian food, which unfortunately are a little higher than they should be in Potassium and Carbs... But I balance it out heavily the next day. I am also a paranoid with scales, keeping my weight within the tolerances I've set myself.

Also in eat moderation  ;)

L Katy

Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

FTMax

Definitely avoid cans and boxes. What I meant was, if there's something you absolutely love and it comes in a can or it's a frozen meal - you can probably make a healthier version yourself.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

katrinaw

Haa also avoid soft drinks.... And too much Alcohol  ;)

L Katy
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

enigmaticrorschach

Quote from: katrinaw on May 15, 2015, 08:33:48 PM
Haa also avoid soft drinks.... And too much Alcohol  ;)

L Katy
i dont drink alcohol so thats not a problem. aww, not my soft drinks  :laugh:
  •