Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Needle and The Damage Done

Started by allisonsteph, May 18, 2015, 05:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allisonsteph

I've seen the needle
and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's
like a settin' sun.

-Neil Young

My name is Allison and I am an addict.

Today I celebrate one year of freedom from drugs and alcohol. I am in a very different place now than I was then, both figuratively and literally. That first night I laid there restrained to a bed in the Emergency Department of Kaiser Hospital in Roseville, CA after a suicide attempt earlier in the day. I was moved a to a psychiatric hospital then a half-way house before I was released twelve days later under the condition that I begin attending 12 Step meetings. Thus began my path to recovery. It has not been easy by any means, I have spent many nights wishing for just one drink, or just one pill. But somehow I am here, I am alive and I am clean.

The last year has been the most difficult of my life, dealing the early stages of my transition, with unemployment, homelessness, and a move clear across the country in the early days of my recovery. I spent six months bouncing around between friends houses, motels, and the streets before I found a job, and eventually an apartment of my own. I am not cured,  I can never drink or use any of the many other substances that I used to use to escape reality even again.The temptation has never gone away, what has changed is my reaction to that temptation. Recovery isn't easy, all I can do is try my hardest to stay clean.

Just For Today.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

Ms Grace

Sincere congratulations for your anniversary, Allison. I know you have struggled a lot over the last year, having read your posts it was clear you were doing it rough but at the same time you didn't let it get you down or stop you. That is something to be extremely proud of. :)
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

katrinaw

Very happy and proud for you Alison... congrats and hugs.... It takes guts and stamina, well done!

L Katy  :-*
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

Eva Marie

You have survived a very tough ordeal - you can be proud of yourself for making the choice to get that monkey off your back and choosing to live a clean life and standing by that choice no matter what - not everyone has the strength to accomplish that. Congrats on the 1st year clean and I expect to see you here a year from now celebrating your second year clean  :)
  •  

Devlyn

My name is Devlyn and I'm an alcoholic.

Congratulations, Allison! I'm really proud of you and really happy for you! A year is a big, big deal. I've found that the temptation does fade in the long run. The loooooooong run, it did take awhile! Keep up the good fight, we're pulling for you.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Newgirl Dani

Allison, we've talked.  I've just found this post and wanted to remind you that your place in my heart and mind will never ever disappear.  We are allies.  Love,   Dani
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: Newgirl Dani on September 04, 2015, 03:40:07 AM
Allison, we've talked.  I've just found this post and wanted to remind you that your place in my heart and mind will never ever disappear.  We are allies.  Love,   Dani

Thank you Dani and everyone that has been so supportive of me in my time here.
  •  

clearleeraines

8) You will know a new happiness and a new freedom, You will suddenly go where no one has gone before, this is the journey of the heart and soul, Wait a min. .  uh where have I . . . YOUR AWESOME!!!! 

It just gets better, work the steps and HELP OTHERS ALWAYS!!!!
God Bless Clear
YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE
  •  

Laurie K

I seen the post and needed to share my happiness for you. One year clean shows a drive  that deserves support and to say the least a hug. there will days when it all still feels up hill but you have gained some momentum ... the hill does get easier to climb.

The ball is now rolling....I hope it doesnt run me 0ver
  •  

Traci New

Congratulations on being clean 1 year. Thats something to be proud of.  Its a long hard road. I know how hard it is fighting the urge.  Keep up the good work. Oh and the urge does lessen after years of being clean. I was a alcoholic and a heavy drug user for many years.  I haven't had alcohol or hard drugs in over 20 years now, the urge is not there  unless i am around it, so i stay away from that scene.
You've got your mother in a whirl, She's not sure if you're a boy or a girl
  •  

allisonsteph

•