Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Boy Scouts' Leader Says Ban on Gay Adults Not Sustainable

Started by traci_k, May 22, 2015, 07:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traci_k

Boy Scouts' Leader Says Ban on Gay Adults Not Sustainable
Robert Gates says longstanding ban on gay adults is no longer sustainable.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/05/21/boy-scouts-leader-says-ban-on-gay-adults-not-sustainable

Associated Press   May 21, 2015 | 12:26 p.m. EDT

By DAVID CRARY, Associated Press, and
JENNIFER PELTZ, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — The national president of the Boy Scouts of America, Robert Gates, said Thursday that the organization's longstanding ban on participation by openly gay adults is no longer sustainable, and called for change in order to avert potentially destructive legal battles.

In a speech in Atlanta to the Scouts' national annual meeting, Gates referred to recent moves by Scout councils in New York City and elsewhere to defy the ban.

"The status quo in our movement's membership standards cannot be sustained," he said.

Gates said no change in the policy would be made at the national meeting. But he raised the possibility of revising the policy at some point soon so that local Scout organizations could decide on their own whether to allow gays as leaders.

----------------------------------------------
Actually Gates called for the lifting of the ban when he took over in 2014 but it has been up to the national board which has not yet acted upon the recommendation. Unfortunately for me as a transgender woman, alas, nothing was said  and if I want to help lead the troop and my son to Eagle, I must remain closeted.

It is only a matter of time since a NY council has hired an openly gay  summer camp director until as Gates says, reality catches up and BSA will be forced to change policies. And hopefully, like the Girl Scouts, we can open the ranks to trans-boys.
Traci Melissa Knight
  •