Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

I quit!

Started by IdontEven, May 23, 2015, 03:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IdontEven

So I'm quitting smoking. I've quit twice in the past for a week each time. The last time went pretty okay, I actually made it through the worst of the physical cravings. But on that 7'th day the addiction changed tactics and hit me with an emotional sucker-punch out of nowhere that I wasn't prepared for.

It has to be cold turkey for me. The patches and e-cigs and stuff just remind me how much I want an actual cig. I'm just going to have to be strong and stubborn and hard-headed to get through this. Hopefully I'm not too much of an emotional wreck.

Anyways, I'm counting on all of you to not let me not quit. So...thanks!
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
  •  

Tessa James

Way good on you!  The vast majority of smokers want to quit.  I was an on and off smoker for decades and the cold turkey method was best.   Just grabbing one occasionally proved to be a slippery slope for me.  It is worth noting that the tobacco companies actually promote the patch and e cigs on their web sites.  Cynically so as they know they are the least effective.

Making a public announcement like this and letting your circle of friends know you are a non smoker is also helpful.  Nice to get free and if you are on or considering HRT it is imperative.

Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Devlyn

Jeez, I'm sorry I missed this! Congratulations, and do you have an update? Smoking is a tough one, you definitely have all my support!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Swayallday

Joining you right along tommorow
that's money better spent on some pretty clothing  :-*
  •  

stephaniec

I just went cold gable gable. 1st week not good , next week almost as not as good, each week thereafter better, but to be honest it never goes away. Just have a solid reason for you to quite and always keep that on your mind.
  •  

RaptorChops

I was a smoker for about 13 years and then my endo told me he wouldn't treat me if I was a smoker. I ended up quitting after I was told that. About a year later I picked up the habit again but I tried the Vape thing instead. I ended up using the vaporizer more than an actual smoke. I got my stuff at http://www.vaporfi.com/ and I started on the highest nicotine level. I gradually went to a lower nicotine because obviously you can't smoke before surgery. I was able to quit 2 weeks prior to my surgery and have been smoke and vape free for 4 weeks :P. I know Vaporizing is probably not the safest thing but it's probably a tiny bit better than smoking nasty cigarettes.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I dunno.
  •  

Dena

Good work on quitting as I have see how hard it is for others to quit. My father fought that battle until cancer finally took him so I hope you win your battle and stop now.  I have allergies to smoke and it looks like I am going to quit my neighbor. I'm have voice surgery in 3 weeks and I can't risk being around her when she smokes as I might damage something. I may have to go cold turkey on her for a month or more.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

kittenpower

Congratulations! I was a 1 pack a day smoker for 2 years, and I quit in 1995. The cravings are tough in the beginning, and it is such a tough habit to break that I still crave them occasionally, but just for a moment. Best wishes, you can do this!
  •  

Jill F

Pro tip: take a hot shower when you get a nic fit.  I was wet a lot the first couple of weeks but I haven't had a smoke since Oct 21 '11. 
  •  

Susan

When I quit and I got cravings I would repeat I will never smoke again, until the cravings went away. I have never smoked again.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: stephaniec on June 24, 2015, 05:49:14 PM
I just went cold gable gable. 1st week not good , next week almost as not as good, each week thereafter better, but to be honest it never goes away. Just have a solid reason for you to quite and always keep that on your mind.

Hey Stephanie we are totally worth the effort.   We win one day at a time if we keep at it!  Yes the desire may remain but especially after the first three days that addictive voice become less and less until finally it is so quiet it can be forgotten or ignored.  Hope your post means you're done too ;D
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Swayallday

Quote from: IdontEven on May 23, 2015, 03:17:13 PM
So I'm quitting smoking. I've quit twice in the past for a week each time. The last time went pretty okay, I actually made it through the worst of the physical cravings. But on that 7'th day the addiction changed tactics and hit me with an emotional sucker-punch out of nowhere that I wasn't prepared for.

It has to be cold turkey for me. The patches and e-cigs and stuff just remind me how much I want an actual cig. I'm just going to have to be strong and stubborn and hard-headed to get through this. Hopefully I'm not too much of an emotional wreck.

Anyways, I'm counting on all of you to not let me not quit. So...thanks!

Okay, I woke up

waaahhhhh this is boring

NO SMOKING YOU!   :laugh:

I'm thinking about taking a hike everytime I want to spark one up :'(
  •  

katrinaw

Many, many years ago I tried quitting a number of times, well at least 3 times, each time was about a 2 year gap and I lasted 1 week, worst culprit for making me start again was Alcohol or driving!

Then 32 years ago I quite again, this time I thought I will not go back, and admittedly my youngest daughter had something to do with it... yukky smell she kept telling me, I bought a packet on quitting day, put them in the car, opened but just out of reach, one day, about 4 days after quitting I stretched over to the pack, took one out, rolled it in my fingers, then screwed it up. That evening when I got home from work, I threw the pack away and to this day I have never gone back to it.

L Katy  :-*
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

allisonsteph

Congratulations!

I smoked a pack or more a day for 33 years. I quit when my doctor informed me that he would not prescribe hormones to a smoker under any circumstances. I smoked my last cigarette that day, 500 days ago today. Keep it up, you can do it!
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

Devlyn

Happy 500 days!  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Kitty June

I think today is a good day to quit. I've done it before with hypnosis and that worked for a while, but it's time to just do it. Tried vaping as an alternative before but I found it raised my blood pressure more than cigarettes did. I guess it's cold turkey time.
My doctor said he wouldn't deny hrt solely because of smoking but it does effect my bp so it's got to go no matter what.
Hopefully I can report back with success.
Good luck idonteven. I know from experience that it's hard and never really goes away. And "just one" never works either. And no substitutes. Cigars got me back smoking the last time.

Ella
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: Swayallday on June 25, 2015, 05:09:13 AM
Okay, I woke up

waaahhhhh this is boring

NO SMOKING YOU!   :laugh:

I'm thinking about taking a hike everytime I want to spark one up :'(

Great idea!  I was somehow "rewarding myself with a butt" after a hard day at work, hack, cough, sputter (years ago).  You suggest a far better option.  Good for you!
  •  

Swayallday

Quote from: Tessa James on June 26, 2015, 11:04:13 AM
Great idea!  I was somehow "rewarding myself with a butt" after a hard day at work, hack, cough, sputter (years ago).  You suggest a far better option.  Good for you!
Works tough  :P
Don't feel bad. Addiction plays tricks on the mind, I know all about it  ::)

This is how i've succesfully quit for over a year (then relapsed on stimulants ;p)

Sit down for five minutes or so and think about quitting, try to realize that you *want* to quit.
By acknowledging this, don't expect from yourself that you should cease/quit immediately
It only makes it harder on your mind and you'll feel dissapointed in yourself when you relapse,
relapsing is fine, it's part of the progress
but you must be in control of the progress

When I was at that point, I allowed myself 2 smokes per day. Once in the morning and once in the evening.
This way it's gentler on well-being and you can cope from one moment to the other
I did that for a day or two
Then switched to only rolling one when I really, really wanted too. So at random intervals.
Keep that up for a few days and self-actualization ensues and thought occur alike "why am I even smoking this one at all" anymore?

It's much easier that way, I find, and it only took me a week or two.
:angel:

And OP, if you really have difficulties, champix is a medication used off-label for cessation. It has quite a high success-rate.
  •  

Tessa James

I think it is important to also know that 70% of smokers WANT TO QUIT!

Most smokers also start before they are 21 yo so our efforts to keep youth free from this scourge are needed.
  •  

janetcgtv

My father smoked 2 packs a day. Then one day he decided to quit by throwing his cigarettes over his shoulder and never looked back. It just is your determination to quit. Just keep doing what you are doing. Take it at one day at a time. Each day you will get stronger at resisting smoking. Don't forget smoking is bad for your health. A girl cousin of mine died from lung cancer by smoking 3 or more packs a day. she was also on oxygen the year before she died.

Have a wonderful day
  •