Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

I quit!

Started by IdontEven, May 23, 2015, 03:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girl Beyond Doubt

Some people are not cut out to say no. Food, smoke, drugs, you name it.
If you are one of those, you will never be able to quit.
The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself - Mark Twain
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: Girl Beyond Doubt on June 26, 2015, 05:12:56 PM

Addictions and dependancies are troubling but I look at it differently.  People do change their lives and behavior and this site is filled with personal stories of real drama that involves changed lives.  I have worked professionally with some programs and sadly some of the best have only a 20% success rate (alcohol and other drugs).  Personally I have said YES to a life free from cigarette smoking.  I am also trying to say yes more often to better foods.  There are so many positive motivators we can enlist to strengthen our resolve and an avalanche of assistance available for those who reach out. 
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Kellam

I stopped drinking alcoholicly (not a drop since) almost four years ago, I quit an addiction of compulsion (graffiti) three years ago and I quit cigs over two years ago. It can be done! Now, i do still have trouble with pot, tv, junk food, caffeine, sugar and exercise endorphins. But one can't shake all of one's addictions at once. I have learned to take on one thing at a time and to start with the most destructive and life controlling. I also believe that everyone needs a vice and if one can learn moderation that vice can be quite healthy. But substances that can make an addict out of anyone (booze, tobacco and hard drugs) should be avoided by most people. 1 in 10 becomes addicted to alcohol and I have never met a "casual smoker" who didn't end up addicted. Some addictions are chemical and mental, some are purely mental but they all have physical elements.

When I was working on tobacco I quit and went cold turkey a dozen times in a year or so before it finally took. Tobacco withdrawl is the worst and it lasts for weeks at a time. I know an ex heroin user who still can't kick cigs. He says it is worse than the h.

Perseverance is what I learned by entering recovery. Never give up, care about yourself, learn from your mistakes and try again.
https://atranswomanstale.wordpress.com This is my blog A Trans Woman's Tale -Chris Jen Kellam-Scott

"You must always be yourself, no matter what the price. It is the highest form of morality."   -Candy Darling

•  

Girl Beyond Doubt

Quote from: Girl Beyond Doubt on June 26, 2015, 05:12:56 PM
Everyone needs to ask themselves whether they have the required strength of will, whether they can muster the courage to make the right choice for their life and stay strong and true to that decision. I have met so many people who are too weak to even ask themselves these questions. No help from anyone whatsoever will ever make a difference for them unless they learn to realize that they are responsible for making that decision for themselves.
The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself - Mark Twain
  •  

Alex_or_Ben

Please - those who want to quit and are trying to quit - please keep us posted about your progress!  I want to help support you on your quit journey and help you out. 

Just try to think about all of the money you can save by quitting cigarettes and buy beautiful clothes and accessories and various things, including HRT and surgery, etc etc.  Maybe that will be motivation enough to quit?  Just think and envision it as often as you can and think to yourself, I have a choice - cigarettes or something more positive and inspiring?  It helped me to quit recently (a while ago, last year?) in thinking I have a choice, and weigh the pros and cons of cigarettes and saving money to buy other things.. it helped me to quit.  It took me many times in trying to quit before I was successful.  I often get angry when I see people smoking, since it doesn't help me to see them, it makes it harder to quit!  I long for the time where cigarettes will be obsolete including cigars, e-cigs etc.

Alexander
  •  

Swayallday

I wish but my smoking habit isn't that expensive.
I thought making a jar of "prutty clothes here" would suffice but I relapsed anyhow.

Living conciously is certainly an effort.

Oh well atleast no more hard drugs.

& I quit nailbiting so now I can paint them  :D
  •  

Jessie Ann

The smoking addiction sucks. I smoked off and on from the time I was 16. Then 21 years ago I had my 2nd child and I knew that it was time to quit after 17 years of smoking. I kept away from them for over 9 years and then for some stupid reason thought I would have just one which lead to another then another and the next thing I knew I was back smoking full time. 4 years later I'm driving home and I lose consciousness at 70 mph and end up with a pacemaker. So I stop again. This time it lasts just two years and then when I start my divorce proceedings against my ex-wife I start again.  I stopped again for awhile and then started after my mother passed away. I kept that up until Jan 1, 2014 when I stopped hopefully for the last time. It takes an incredible amount of willpower to stop cold turkey but it's the only way I have ever been able to stop for any length of time. Good luck to all of you that have or are thinking about quitting.
  •  

Hannah.Emma

congrats on quitting.  I too quit smoking almost 2 months ago...its hard but better for us  ;D 8)
November 2014 - Came out to wife
June 2015 - Came out to Therapist
October 2015 - Began HRT
April 2017 - Fully out and full time
May 2017 - Officially separated from wife
June 2017 -  Started new life in Nebraska
September 2017 - Divorced
April 2018 - Homeless
July 2018 - Began new life in Florida
  •