Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Can you take your shirt off?

Started by sparrow, June 28, 2015, 07:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool social justice warrior.  I have an image of myself after a few years of hormone treatments: getting arrested for being topless in a women's restroom, to challenge the paradox that transwomen are treated as men or women depending on which flavor of discrimination the law is written to enforce.

Of course, this wouldn't happen where I live, as men and women are equally free to go topless, and my city has started putting up trans*-friendly signage for public washrooms.  I took the trash out this morning wearing nothing but a skirt... I feel some dysphoria there (counting down to my first HRT appoinment), but mostly, I'm happy to be free.

But really, I don't know the law in most places.  Are trans women legally allowed to take their tops off (assuming top surgery or hrt), if their ID bears that magical M?  Are trans men legally allowed to take their tops off (assuming no top surgery), if their ID bears that magical M?  I do recall seeing an article about a cis female breast cancer survivor, who took her shirt off after a double mastectomy, and got harrassed about it (at a breast cancer fundraising run, no less).
  •