Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

14 FTM, Best Advice on Coming Out at School?

Started by Zeno, July 04, 2015, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

Considering I'm in the UK and in Year 9 atm, I want to be able to come out next year, but due to the fact I know all the teachers in the school seeing as most of them have taught me within the last 3 years and I know everyone in my year, how can I come out to them without making it awkward?
16 - FTM - UK - I'm cool
  •  

Laura_7

Hello and welcome :)

You might contact the mermaids, its a group specifically for transgender youth:
mermaidsuk.org.uk
"We offer information, support, friendship and shared experiences."

They can be contacted via mail or phone...
you could ask there for more information and support.

And you might ask your school counselor to support you...

its even possible there are special counselors who might visit your school and educate people there...
from a GIC... I read a story from somebody saying so...
but you might ask that the mermaids...

have a *hug*
  •  

Zeno

Quote from: Laura_7 on July 04, 2015, 02:49:53 PM
Hello and welcome :)

You might contact the mermaids, its a group specifically for transgender youth:
mermaidsuk.org.uk
"We offer information, support, friendship and shared experiences."

They can be contacted via mail or phone...
you could ask there for more information and support.

And you might ask your school counselor to support you...

its even possible there are special counselors who might visit your school and educate people there...
from a GIC... I read a story from somebody saying so...
but you might ask that the mermaids...

have a *hug*

Thank you. :) I used to have a counselor in school, but I haven't seen them for months for some unknown reason.
16 - FTM - UK - I'm cool
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: Zeno on July 04, 2015, 03:06:42 PM
Thank you. :) I used to have a counselor in school, but I haven't seen them for months for some unknown reason.

well its possible they are busy elsewhere... you might aks, mabe a secretary... its possible they are only there at specific times...

*hugs*
  •  

enigmaticrorschach

•  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Zeno on July 04, 2015, 02:10:54 PM
Considering I'm in the UK and in Year 9 atm, I want to be able to come out next year, but due to the fact I know all the teachers in the school seeing as most of them have taught me within the last 3 years and I know everyone in my year, how can I come out to them without making it awkward?

It need not be awkward. You are who you are. You can be proud of that. There is no shame in being born in a body that doesn't match your gender, and there is great pride in making the decision to do something about it.

As others have said, it doesn't hurt to have supportive adults help you through. But it need not be complicated. "I'm transgender, and will need to begin living as a male. I hope you will support me in this decision and use my correct name and pronous." That's pretty much all you need to say.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Hecknado

hi
im a 15 year old ftm, and im stealth at school. the whole coming out process is long and complicated and tricky, mostly long though, I recommend 1) knowing yourself before talking to your parents/friends, so you know exactly who you are and what you want, especially knowing yourself, so you are confident. Confidence is really important for this. For your friends, if you dress masculine/neutral already, it will be easier for them to accept you possibly, or if you don't, start doing that, so you start to change before telling them ( sort of like proof that you mean what you say ).
You might want to come out at the end of the school year, or during the holidays, so your parents can get their head around it ( takes time, be patient, unfortunately ) or before the holidays for your teachers.
On telling your teachers, you can talk to them after class, or email them something like:
Hi
I am (original name here) and I would like to be called ( preferred name here ) in class, and use these pronouns. I identify as trans/fluid/whatever.
You might also want to talk to your dean/administration if you have one.

I hope this advice helps you, im guessing in my scenario things were easier as I moved cities and identified as male/male uniform at the new school, although without my parents knowing.. youd think theyd tell by the uniform and haircut.... anyway, talking to a counsellor would also be a great idea :D:D

good luck
david
  •  

Zeno

Quote from: Hecknado on July 05, 2015, 04:48:09 AM
hi
im a 15 year old ftm, and im stealth at school. the whole coming out process is long and complicated and tricky, mostly long though, I recommend 1) knowing yourself before talking to your parents/friends, so you know exactly who you are and what you want, especially knowing yourself, so you are confident. Confidence is really important for this. For your friends, if you dress masculine/neutral already, it will be easier for them to accept you possibly, or if you don't, start doing that, so you start to change before telling them ( sort of like proof that you mean what you say ).
You might want to come out at the end of the school year, or during the holidays, so your parents can get their head around it ( takes time, be patient, unfortunately ) or before the holidays for your teachers.
On telling your teachers, you can talk to them after class, or email them something like:
Hi
I am (original name here) and I would like to be called ( preferred name here ) in class, and use these pronouns. I identify as trans/fluid/whatever.
You might also want to talk to your dean/administration if you have one.

I hope this advice helps you, im guessing in my scenario things were easier as I moved cities and identified as male/male uniform at the new school, although without my parents knowing.. youd think theyd tell by the uniform and haircut.... anyway, talking to a counsellor would also be a great idea :D:D

good luck
david

Thank you to everyone :)

I do dress masculine, everyone who doesn't know me thinks I'm a boy, all my teachers called me a boy when they first met me even though I have a girls name. Thank you for the advice. =)
16 - FTM - UK - I'm cool
  •  

Hecknado

that's alright
awesome  that they thought that, and that youre dressing that way already, it will help tonnes.

-david
  •