Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

My Orchiectomy

Started by EmmaMcAllister, August 01, 2015, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmmaMcAllister

In just 13 days I'll be having a bilateral orchiectomy performed by Dr. Peter Vlaovic, a urologist at Toronto East General. There doesn't seem to be many first hand accounts of the orchie experience on here, at least in comparison to other surgeries, so hopefully this thread will be useful to anyone considering the procedure.

Why an orchiectomy? The first thing I should point out is that I have no interest in SRS, so concerns of affecting a future SRS are moot in my case. My dysphoria doesn't centre on my genitalia, so the health risks associated with SRS just aren't worth it in my case. An orchiectomy, by comparison, is a simple and generally safe procedure. Because of my physical disability, my doctor has been cautious with my HRT. My higher risk of blood clots necessitates keeping my Estrogen dose low, and because I can't tolerate Spiro I'm on a low dose of the more dangerous Androcur. A bilateral orchie should remove my need to take an AA, while also making my Estrogen dose more effective. So in short, an orchiectomy will make my feminization safer and better. It's a no brainer.

The Specifics. The procedure will cost $1000, $500 to the surgeon and $500 to the hospital. If you live in Ontario, you can probably get it covered if you're willing to jump through CAMH's hoops. Myself, I'm not willing to have my transition dictated by anyone but myself. My trans positive therapist referred me to a GP who would oversee my HRT, and he referred me to the urologist. No letters required, and the issue of my being trans didn't even come up in the consultation. As far as I know, Dr. Vlaovic is the one of the only surgeons in the province who will perform a bilateral orchiectomy on a trans patient outside of CAMH or Sherbourne.

The Plan. The surgery is scheduled for 1:45pm on August 14. I'll leave Sudbury at 6am, and I should get the hospital by noon. The procedure will take about 45 minutes, and whenever they let me go I'll head to a nearby hotel to convalesce for the rest of the day. I'm not sure what sort of pain level to expect, but I'm hoping that the surgeon will prescribe Dilaudid or something. I'll only be in my wheelchair to quickly eat and drink. I'll need to ice that area for 15 minutes every 15 minutes for the rest of the day to minimize swelling. After hopefully, but doubtfully, sleeping through the night, I'll head home at 10am on the 15th.

I don't imagine I'll be able to post on the 14th or 15th, but I'll provide a thorough recap of the experience as soon as I can.

Any questions? Feel free!
Started HRT in October, 2014. Orchiectomy in August, 2015. Full-time in July, 2016!

If you need an understanding ear, feel free to PM me.
  •  

Laura_7

This is from another posting:

Bruising can be reduced (many believe) with Bromelain 500 mg twice a day, Arnica montana (Boiron brand) dose 30C (take 4 small tablets sublingually, 4 times a day), vitamin C 500 mg (3 times a day) starting 1 week before surgery.
bromelain may reduce swelling, bruising, healing time, and pain following physical injuries and surgery.

All at your own risk... talk this all exactly through with your doctor and endo. Some say to start bromelain after the operation.

All in all I'd say relax...
you might do a few exercises... to work off stress hormones a bit...
and keep to mental images of a good outcome.  :)

have a big *hug*
  •  

EmmaMcAllister

Thanks, Laura. I'll look into those.
Started HRT in October, 2014. Orchiectomy in August, 2015. Full-time in July, 2016!

•  

EmmaMcAllister

So, I had a successful bilateral orchiectomy performed yesterday! It still feels like a dream. I'm recovering pretty fast, but I'm really drained. I'll post a thorough recap as soon as I can.

•  

Laura_7

Congratulations  :)

Wish you a speedy recovery  :)

hugs
  •  

EmmaMcAllister

•  

islandgirl

Glad the surgery went well! I am appreciative of you willingness to pass on information on your orchi. I have been considering this option of late, not sure of how my age would factor into other SRS. I look forward to your next post.
  •  

ChiGirl

Thank you for posting this.  It was very helpful to my deciding on whether or not to have an orchiectemy. 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

•  

EmmaMcAllister

Thanks for the support, gals. I definitely hope that my experience will be helpful to you.

The ride to Toronto was early, and long, and generally terrible. I was a bundle of nerves, and I guess you could say I slightly disassociated. Having an orchiectomy was something I wanted to have done, not something I wanted to do, if you catch my meaning.

I arrived at the hospital about 2 hours early and had to wait. By the time they called me in to the back waiting area, I REALLY had to pee. Being in a wheelchair, peeing in public is problematic. It's reasonably easy for one person (my mother in this case) to pull my pants down, but impossible to pull them back up. So, after having what I'm sure is a record long pee, I just got back in my chair naked from the waste down and cover myself with towels.

After about 20 minutes I was called into the operating room. I got changed into a gown, which would have been useful 20 minutes earlier, and my mother lifts me onto the table. Because my hips and knees are contracted, the nurse spread my legs as far as they would go and then taped them to the bed. Honestly, the most sore thing immediately after the surgery was my knees, hips, and butt.

I had a lot of questions, and the nurse was able to answer most of them. The doctor came in and proceeded to freeze the scrotum. I didn't count the number of needles, but it was more than 5. After the first few went in relatively painlessly, I commented that the hype about the pain of the local injections was overblown. Boy, did I ever regret saying that when he stuck a needle into what I believe was my right testicle. It was quite literally the worst pain I have ever experienced. That I had let my guard down after the first few needles probably made it worse. I screamed an yelled for them to stop, but luckily it was over in a few seconds.

The doctor left for what was supposed to be 10 minutes, to let the freezing set in. That turned into 25, because he got called into an emergency surgery. As the freezing settled, I could feel discomfort on the left side. This lead me to worry that because I didn't experience the same pain on the left as I did on the right, the left side wasn't frozen enough. I told the doctor this when he returned, and he put in a few more shots that I didn't feel at all.

The surgery in proper then began. It's hard for me to provide exact details, because I couldn't really see anything. I didn't feel the incision, and I didn't even feel the testicles being taken out. I could feel a lot of tugging during the procedure, which was sometimes painful but never unbearable. There was a lot of clamping and cauterizing, which I could sometimes feel as a light sting. It didn't smell that strong to me, but my mother said she could smell it in the waiting area. If you've ever had laser on your face, it doesn't smell that bad.

I was closed with dissolving sutures. After being stitched, I had one stubborn bleed. The nurse pinched the bleed between her thumb and forefinger for about 10 minutes while the doctor ran to do other things. The bleeding stopped, and the doctor came back to apply an adhesive bandage. I was told to leave the bandage on until Monday. Sponge baths until the bandage comes off, showers for a few weeks, baths after the incision is fully healed. I was instructed to ice the area in fifteen minute intervals, and to watch for excessive bleeding, excessive swelling, puss around the incision, and fever.

I was prescribed an antibiotic and Dilaudid for pain. The night at the hotel was the roughest part. I was very swollen, and had to stay in bed for the most part. The Dilaudid made me jittery and paranoid, so I didn't really sleep. In the morning, most of the swelling had lessened, except for one area that was painful to touch. I iced a few more times before I left the hotel, which helped a lot.

Now, two days later, the swelling is minor but noticeable. I'm not in pain per say, but I'm sore and crampy. I took Codeine last night, which worked better than the Dilaudid. I don't think I'll need to take anything for pain today. My scrotum is noticeably smaller and flatter now. If you're planning to have GRS this may be a problem for you, but I'm not so I'm very pleased with the results.

Overall, it's not a pleasant experience but well worth it in my opinion. I'm SO happy now that it's done. That's all the gritty details I can think of, but I'm happy to answer questions!

•  

Richenda

Thanks so much for posting this Emma. I'm really interested in the orchie.

I'm not currently that worried about whether or not I have a penis as I don't 'think' this is what defines gender. Or, rather, gender is so much more fluid and complex than the 'two' organs with which most are born. This may change.

To be a little explicit, my sexual pleasure comes from passive reception where I get a lot of enjoyment and I'm not that bothered about whether I have a vagina. My prostate's pretty incredible so I wouldn't want to lose that I guess. That may change so I may look back on this differently and go further. But, as I understand it given that I'm not circumcised it's perfectly possible to go from orchie to full later. I do realise you took the decision for additional / other reasons.

For me, the main advantage of removing the pesty testicles is 1. so I don't have to pump myself full of AA pills for the rest of my life and 2. making the oestrogen more effective. I also like the fact that it's such a relatively non-invasive simple technique. I really, really, like that. Why don't more do it? Since with one fell swoop, or rather two, it removes most of the physical cause of testosterone ...?

I'd love to hear from any others who have gone down your route. Thanks again so much for posting up your experiences.
  •  

EmmaMcAllister

You're most welcome, Richenda.

Now on Day 11, I have no pain or swelling. I stopped taking Androcur on the day of the surgery, and that may have been a small mistake. My face has become a bit more oily, but I'm sure that will reverse. I started to get emotionally raw around Saturday, so I'm sure that my T is starting to bottom out. I had blood work done yesterday, and I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, so I'll know more then.

•  

Tessa James

Thank you so much for this thread and your posts that contribute reason and detail to our knowledge base.  Yes a relatively low cost procedure that will likely pay for itself in reduced medication and treatment.  That it can be done under local anesthesia with sedation further reduces risk and recovery time.  It is just crazy that in the USA we have insurance people that consider this strictly cosmetic and exclude it from our care!  I am fighting them now.

I had a vasectomy decades ago and will never forget my first time being placed in the lithotomy position, exposed to the world with some unseen person washing me with cold wipes.  Another sort of welcome to the girls club and feeling vulnerable? ;)

It is a highly vascular area of our body so the ice and other ways of reducing bleeding are great tips.  Thanks all!

Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Richenda

Dr Sarang just quoted me $4500 USD for an orchie. Ouch!
  •  

EmmaMcAllister

Wow, that seems excessive. Especially if you have to travel.

•  

Laura_7

Quote from: Richenda on August 26, 2015, 02:58:05 AM
Dr Sarang just quoted me $4500 USD for an orchie. Ouch!

Well one positive point is part of it might be counted towards an srs.
You might ask, many surgeons do it that way.

hugs
  •  

ConfusedSarah

Hi Emma,

Do you have an update on this?

I am faced with a blood clot dilemma too. All the females in my family have had blood clots. My doctor says that it would be very risky to the standard HRT protocol. The indicated that a low dose would not be worthwhile.

A possibility for me is an orchiectomy with a low dose.

Thanks
Sarah
  •  

Richenda

Hi Sarah,

I went ahead with a bilateral orchiectomy at the end of last month and it's the best decision of my life :) I feel fab. Although a non-medic I believe you are absolutely right about a lower estrogen dose and, of course, you can ditch the nasty anti-androgens altogether.

I went to PAI (Preecha Aesthetic Institute) in Bangkok which was simply superb. I wrote it up here: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,212657.0.html

The whole procedure cost $3800 and I have nothing but praise for the way Dr Sutin and the team at PAI with Piyvate hospital conducted everything.

So I would say: go for it. You will of course need to talk carefully to them about the blood clot issue in terms of surgery. Good luck. Hugs.

x
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: ConfusedSarah on August 17, 2016, 04:32:37 AM
I am faced with a blood clot dilemma too. All the females in my family have had blood clots. My doctor says that it would be very risky to the standard HRT protocol. The indicated that a low dose would not be worthwhile

I believe my endo does HRT for women with a history of blood clots, but he is something of a world class expert. I assume there's others.
  •  

ConfusedSarah

Thanks Richenda for the response.

I would love to hear how you progress from here with a low dose oestrogen. The orchiectomy is a simple procedure. I am not keen on full GRS or GCS (which ever prefer to call it). I have young children and a sense of responsibility and would hate to die trying to relieve my depression.

I am hoping Emma will respond too and update her progress on here as well. It has been 12 months since hers.

My doctor is a GP and has a focus on treating people like us. I might need to seek further help though.

Cheers,
Sarah.

•  

Tdnapa

Who was your doctor for hrt I'm trying to find one I'm in Sudbury ontario
  •