Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

A Friend In Palm Bay, FL Needs Help

Started by justanally, August 02, 2015, 03:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justanally

A transgender friend in another forum was using her bicycle as transportation until today, when someone slashed the tires of her bike. Now, she says, she's forced to buy a new bike at a really inconvenient time: she's beginning her mtf transition this month. So, as you can imagine, money is tight.

She lives in Palm Bay, Florida with her family, but they are extremely transphobic, and they refuse to help her. Since she's also learning-disabled, she has a tough time working on her own to find the help she needs.

I know there are transgender support groups in the nearest cities -- Melbourne and Orlando -- but, obviously, she can't get there.

I'm hoping there's someone in the area who can donate/deliver a bike to her, or suggest/offer other options for her transportation to work and doctor's appointments.

Thank you. I do hope I posted this in the right place.
  •  

Laura_7

She might:
-look in the neighbourhood if there are some small shops who can repair bikes.
They might be listed in the phone book for example.

-look for used bikes in her vicinity, for example on craigslist, phone there and ask if they would be able to deliver the bike.
Sometimes really cheap bikes are offered privately, on ebay etc...
Just remember basic safety rules.

-she might even ask around in the neighbourhood if someone has a bike they do not use any more, and would be willing to give it away... or knows someone... sometimes people have not used their bike for years...

-she might ask at one of the transgender groups if someone would be willing to drive to her and repair her bike...
its possible its not much, and a tire repair kit can do... there are rubber patches included which are simply glued onto the faulty places of the inner tubes...
or get two new bicycle tubes and mounts them on...

If she has the bike repaired she might put it in a safe place... in the house entrance or wherever...

hugs
  •