Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Waiver Form in NJ

Started by AbeLane, August 09, 2015, 09:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbeLane

So I've been trying to save up to pay for a name change in NJ and one of my friends in NY found this form online to waive the court filing fee. I was wondering if anyone had any success using that in NJ?

Also any tips for someone just starting the process. I have a packet with all of the forms and such. I'm just looking for any pro tips of people who've gone through this in NJ before. Thanks
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
-e. e. cummings

"I still believe in heroes."
-Nick Fury, Avengers

•  

enigmaticrorschach

I'm from NJ as well. I looked at the process and it's a pain  and a half. however I'd like to know if this is possible as well since it'll make it tolerable of I can save money

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

•  

Sydney_NYC

The $200 for the name change in NJ is rather costly compared to other states. I represented myself and didn't have any issues. Plus there is the cost of publishing it in the paper. ($65 each time, NJ requires two publications.) You have to show a very low household income. A friend of mine who I thought should have qualified didn't because his mother made $500 over the annual limit. It's pretty hard to get that in NJ since NJ is so expensive to live in.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

AbeLane

Quote from: Sydney_NYC on August 10, 2015, 02:57:18 PM
The $200 for the name change in NJ is rather costly compared to other states. I represented myself and didn't have any issues. Plus there is the cost of publishing it in the paper. ($65 each time, NJ requires two publications.) You have to show a very low household income. A friend of mine who I thought should have qualified didn't because his mother made $500 over the annual limit. It's pretty hard to get that in NJ since NJ is so expensive to live in.

I'm on government aid because of disability so I tend to quality for most things for low income, so I don't think that should be a problem. The thing I worried about was the court saying that because this is "voluntary" I should be required to pay the fee.
-e. e. cummings

-Nick Fury, Avengers

•  

iKate

Quote from: Sydney_NYC on August 10, 2015, 02:57:18 PM

It's $250 now. Also my local paper (NJ Herald) charged me $21 to run the ad and prepare and mail the affidavit. I live in Sussex County so ads cost less I suppose.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: AbeLane on August 10, 2015, 08:54:54 PM
I'm on government aid because of disability so I tend to quality for most things for low income, so I don't think that should be a problem. The thing I worried about was the court saying that because this is "voluntary" I should be required to pay the fee.

From what I was told, transgender legal defense and education fund had something called the name change project where they would help low income trans people with their legal documents for low cost or free. Might be worth looking into and they would be more knowledgeable in how to apply for the waiver.
  •  

AbeLane

Quote from: iKate on August 11, 2015, 08:19:49 AM
From what I was told, transgender legal defense and education fund had something called the name change project where they would help low income trans people with their legal documents for low cost or free. Might be worth looking into and they would be more knowledgeable in how to apply for the waiver.

This is a great project! Unfortunately they don't seem to offer their services to NJ at the moment (unless I'm missing something on the website). I think I'm just going to keep saving until I have the full amount and if they accept the wavier then I'll just have extra cash to put towards something else.
-e. e. cummings

-Nick Fury, Avengers

•  

iKate

Quote from: AbeLane on August 11, 2015, 09:18:37 PM
This is a great project! Unfortunately they don't seem to offer their services to NJ at the moment (unless I'm missing something on the website). I think I'm just going to keep saving until I have the full amount and if they accept the wavier then I'll just have extra cash to put towards something else.

Call them anyway and ask if they can or if they know an organization that can help.

I also know that Callen-Lorde in NYC has a guide for name changes but I don't know if they would be able to refer you to legal practitioners.
  •