Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The "Ah ha" Moment

Started by AbeLane, August 14, 2015, 02:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbeLane

So yesterday I was out at the bank with a friend of mine (she was getting a new card because hers is having trouble with scanning lately). Any who the guy who helped us was very polite and he asked both of our names. When I introduced myself as "Abe" he kept thinking he was hearing it wrong. (I have this happen a lot since I don't really pass) But he finally got it after three or four times.

Today I had to go back to the back (totally forgot I needed to stop there for myself) and when I gave him the slip, it had my legal name on it. And I could see the "Ah ha" moment in his eyes when he finally put two and two together. It didn't really both me and was more funny than anything. But as a plus, he still referred to me as "Abe" and told me to "Have a nice day, sir." So that was cool.
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
-e. e. cummings

"I still believe in heroes."
-Nick Fury, Avengers

•  

Stella Sophia

Don't you love that? It's almost like an addicting rush to be gendered properly. And I see you just started T a week ago! How are you feeling?  :)

•  

AbeLane

Yeah. I've been trying lately not to grin like a moron every time someone happens to call me "Sir" in public. :P

But yeah, T is going well. No huge changes yet, but it feels so awesome just to know I've finally started something, ya know?
-e. e. cummings

-Nick Fury, Avengers

•  

Stella Sophia

Oh believe me I do know, like you find yourself at random points in the day saying to yourself "omg im actually doing this, this is actually happening!!" T is going to be really good for you, assuming that's you in your pic on the left you don't look feminine at all, so the T is going to really make you passable as F.  ;)

•  

stephaniec

yes, quite cool to be gendered properly.
  •  

Tysilio

So far, I've found only one thing that's even better than just being gendered correctly because that's how I'm seen: that moment when someone suddenly realizes that I'm not a cis guy and just carries on without fuss. This has happened quite a few times as I've been going through the name change process, and it makes me feel pretty warm and fuzzy that they genuinely accept me as I am, and sometimes even think that what I'm doing is pretty cool.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

AbeLane

Quote from: Stella Sophia on August 15, 2015, 09:58:40 PM
Oh believe me I do know, like you find yourself at random points in the day saying to yourself "omg im actually doing this, this is actually happening!!" T is going to be really good for you, assuming that's you in your pic on the left you don't look feminine at all, so the T is going to really make you passable as F.  ;)

Thanks. I'm assuming you mean passable as M, but yeah thanks for saying I'm not feminine looking, though I feel I don't pass (especially when you throw in my hips/voice) it's nice to hear at least in one picture I look passable :)

Quote from: stephaniec on August 16, 2015, 12:58:29 AM
yes, quite cool to be gendered properly.

Yup. :)

Quote from: Tysilio on August 16, 2015, 12:47:00 PM
So far, I've found only one thing that's even better than just being gendered correctly because that's how I'm seen: that moment when someone suddenly realizes that I'm not a cis guy and just carries on without fuss. This has happened quite a few times as I've been going through the name change process, and it makes me feel pretty warm and fuzzy that they genuinely accept me as I am, and sometimes even think that what I'm doing is pretty cool.

That's awesome Tysilio!
-e. e. cummings

-Nick Fury, Avengers

•  

Tysilio

Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

Stinakelly

It's such an amazing feeling! Especially when I'm dressed out and someone calls me mam or hell I will even take sweetie at this point in the transition lol. It's just so comforting that someone thinks I'm passing enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •