Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

I need a confidence booster

Started by Dops, September 10, 2015, 10:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dops

I came out to my family a couple of months ago as trans during summer break. I just started school and am wondering if coming out to the whole school would be a good idea, or if it is better to keep it to a close group. I tried working up the courage in a mirror but I am having problems getting the words. I think I just need something to help get myself started. As far as I know the teachers are pretty accepting and most students are as well. Any suggestions on getting the courage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Dops on September 10, 2015, 10:56:10 PM
I came out to my family a couple of months ago as trans during summer break. I just started school and am wondering if coming out to the whole school would be a good idea, or if it is better to keep it to a close group. I tried working up the courage in a mirror but I am having problems getting the words. I think I just need something to help get myself started. As far as I know the teachers are pretty accepting and most students are as well. Any suggestions on getting the courage?

I always operate under the assumption that anything I tell a few people will quickly be spread around. Keeping a secret is really hard for most people

That being said, you don't have to tell people directly. When I was coming out, I just spoke to people who asked (which nearly no one did), though I heard there were rumors rampant throughout the school. (I'm a teacher, so I have a bit of a higher profile).

It's a lot easier to tell someone who asks: "Hey, Dops, what's been going on with you?" "Well I've been doing a lot of soul-searching, and I've decided to face the fact that I'm transgender."
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •