Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Any Automechanics aka Gearheads out there?

Started by SonadoraXVX, October 07, 2015, 02:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonadoraXVX

I'm a school trained (i.e. auto/diesel/small engine) mechanic, at least on paper, lol, installed an engine on an old import truck of mine, and worked on brakes, suspension, bodywork, tune up on my vehicles. Currently I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab, that needs a rebuilt engine and transmission, and a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 318 cid engine, that also needs a rebuild engine, and maybe rebuilt transaxle and transmission. Can't wait to slowly work on those, as time permits, anybody else into fixing mechanical things out there?

Best thing is when your able to give these vehicles life again, from the grave and make them better than when they were new  ;D
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Northern Jane

I guess I would qualify. My father was a master mechanic and too much of my misspent youth was as conscript labour in his shop. I learned far more than I ever intended but I didn't like getting greasy. I worked for an Aeronautic Mechanical Engineer for awhile and thought about going into aircraft mechanics - it was cleaner LOL! - but went into a nice clean office job instead.

Much later in life, 40 years post-op and retired, I seemed to have fallen into antique/classic motorcycle repair and restoration.
  •  

Sspar

1 year auto mechanic
20 years aircraft mechanic
10 years industrial technician..
I have restored several cars, motorcycles,and a boat..
( soft spot for old VW'S )
not too many things in this world I can't fix or make..
new beginning 5/15...
HRT 7/15...
BA & Bottom 10/26/16 (Rummer)...
VFS 11/16/16 (Haben)...
  •  

brandyvgs

Gearhead as a hobbies since I also participate in a motorsport that requires me to understand my car to the bare bones Mostly working on old school nissans. But IT as a professional career, they kinda work together hand in hand though.
Started HRT 01/06/2017  ;D
Became Self Aware: in 2011, started Therapy in July of 2012.
Twitch Affiliate / Transmission Gaming supporter.
  •  

PastyPrincess

I am a mechanic in training aaaa,
Im still only in high school but whence i graduate I'll be heading over to UTI and go into the auto mechanics business after high school. I also aspire to be a race car driver in IndyCar, D1GP, DTM, or NASCAR.

First car ideas are a Honda Civic Si/SiR and I'm going to turbocharge it and put in racing shocks with vented rotor 4 piston brakes when I have the money to do so, after throwing out the back seats for weight reduction
Seventeen and strung out on confusion,
Seventeen and coming clean for the first time,
no mom and dad will never understand,
what's happening to me.
  •  

Lady Smith

I'm a certified Automotive Engineer (New Zealand qualification) and before my transition mostly worked on buses and trucks.  After I qualified as a social worker I rebuilt a 1954 Morris Minor for my own use and it was my everyday driver car for over 10 years.

I don't drive these days due to illness, but I still like to tinker with bicycle technology stuff from time to time.
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Used to be.  Had a '70 Plymouth Duster dragster 340cid at somewhere around 650hp.  At the same time my street car was a '73 Roadrunner 440cid and we took the 275hp pollution control motor to around 450hp.  I think I could still rebuild a RB block Chrysler in my sleep and we rebuilt the A block in the Duster so many times I know I could do that one in my sleep.  Of course that was back when I pretended to be all male.  LOL
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Lady Smith

(sigh) Yes I used to work on buses and trucks to prove I was a 'normal' guy.

I wasn't into drag racing except as a spectator, but I did crew on a 3/4 midget team for a while which was a lot of fun.
  •  

BeverlyAnn

A late friend of mine (I miss her so badly) once said only one thing changed when she transitioned.  She said, "I ran a garage, wore blue jeans and t-shirts and worked on cars before surgery.  I still run a garage, wear blue jeans and t-shirts and work on cars."  Then she looked down at her implants, grinned and said, "The only thing that's changed is I just have to jack them up a LOT higher!"
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

paula lesley

Totally  ;D

Motorcycles and custom cars  ;) Used to work on lorries ( Trucks ) I remember laying in the snow, and thinking this is no job for a girl  ;)

My late father would simply give me the tools and just let me try and fix things  ;D Lovely way to learn. I thank him every time I spend too long trying to make old thing work again :)

I ride , on my custom Harley; to help at a homeless charity and the men ask " who rides the cool bike ? " Some don't believe it's mine  ;D

Paula, X.

•  

Lady Smith

Quote from: BeverlyAnn on December 09, 2015, 10:58:02 AM
A late friend of mine (I miss her so badly) once said only one thing changed when she transitioned.  She said, "I ran a garage, wore blue jeans and t-shirts and worked on cars before surgery.  I still run a garage, wear blue jeans and t-shirts and work on cars."  Then she looked down at her implants, grinned and said, "The only thing that's changed is I just have to jack them up a LOT higher!"

Thanks for sharing that story about your friend Beverly Ann.  '......I just have to jack them up a LOT higher!'  That really made me smile this morning :)
  •  

TG CLare

I taught myself auto mechanics from a book and eventually was able to bag an apprenticeship at a shop until it closed down.

I was into restoring military vehicles and had built a 1943 Ford built jeep from 2 virtual wrecks. Fortunately what one had the other didn't so it was a matter of cannibalizing the worst one for parts. I also was involved in a number of restorations for others as well.

My biggest and most recent restoration involved a 1944 Grumman TBM Avenger! All I could do due my limited skills on aircraft was to strip the paint from the entire airframe using aircraft paint stripper and a credit card sized piece of plastic! My dirty job was the first link in the chain and it is scheduled to be in the air late 2016. I can watch it fly again and be proud I helped get it there.

I also spend time with my other 2 cars. A 1976 MG Midget and a 1996 Collector Edition Corvette with the 6 speed manual transmission and 330HP LT4 engine. Only 126 others are exactly like mine according to the records and only 80 Collector Edition Corvettes are in Canada out of 4521 built.

Silly boys, cars are for girls too!

Love,
Clare

I am the same on the inside, just different wrapping on the outside.

It is vain to quarrel with destiny.-Thomas Middleton.

Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dr. McGinn girl, June 2015!
  •  

Harley Quinn

I would consider myself a "Hotrodder" for lack of better. I prefer mechanical over computers... 60s and older "tech" is my speed. Old School go fast goodies... I enjoy the whole gambit of auto restoration and customization.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •