News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Claiming Transitioning Related Expenses

Started by Rainbow Bay, October 15, 2015, 03:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainbow Bay

Hello Friends

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience or has any advice in claiming transitioning related expense with the ATO at tax time. I thought this was unlikely but then I read an article in Polare (I think it was called 'The ATO Bends on Transgender Expenses) where a woman was able to get a private ruling from the ATO which allowed her to claim lots of stuff. The article was a couple of years old I think. Anyway, I've been saving my electrolysis and other receipts just in case.  :)
  •  

Cindy

I've not heard of it in Oz to be honest.

I think some of the UK and USA girls can.

Find a good CPA accountant! Let us know how you go.
  •  

Rainbow Bay

Quote from: Cindy on October 15, 2015, 03:33:07 AM
I've not heard of it in Oz to be honest.

I think some of the UK and USA girls can.

Find a good CPA accountant! Let us know how you go.

Thanks Cindy. I think a good account might be useful  :) From what I've read if you are annoying enough the ATO will yield and give you a private ruling but the thing is such a ruling doesn't create a precedent for anyone else. We'll see what happens and the end of this Financial Year. 
  •  

kelly_aus

As a former ATO employee who worked in the Personal Tax team, I'm going to suggest a Private Ruling is likely to be your only option..
  •  

Rainbow Bay

Quote from: kelly_aus on October 15, 2015, 04:50:11 AM
As a former ATO employee who worked in the Personal Tax team, I'm going to suggest a Private Ruling is likely to be your only option..

Thankyou Kelly  :)

That's good know. I will focus my hopes on a private ruling. I've already spent thousands on electrolysis this financial year. It would be so helpful if I could get some of it back.
  •  

Dana60

I'm just wondering if anybody has any idea what this was claimed as, does it become medical expenses over the threshold? I've also spent quite a bit on electrolysis this year so being able to claim this would be great.
  •  

Catherine Sarah

I know of a woman in Sydney who claimed her overseas medical expenses on her tax return and got it. I don't believe a personal ruling was invoked. That was 2 years ago.

Speak to you as soon as I pickle the cherries.

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •