Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Name change first?

Started by acidonangles, November 11, 2015, 04:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acidonangles

I was wondering in what order would make more sense for changing documents. I am going to an Endo after my 16th birthday and I am going to try to change my name and birth certificate to Male and Kenton. In what order would make more sense? I live in Ohio but was born in California.
  •  

iKate

I don't know the procedure in your state but in mine I believe a parent or guardian must do it for you. Changing your name early is a good idea if you're sure you're going to transition socially.

That said I changed my gender marker first because I wanted a new pic as I was fed up of explaining and outing myself when I was carded. And I get carded for every little thing now.
  •  

acidonangles

My parents are all for it and are also eager to help me transition.
  •  

FTMax

In order:

- Filed for name change.
- Got letters to update gender marker from my doctor.
- Sent form letter to DMV to change gender marker.
- Went to Social Security and updated name and gender marker.
- Went to DMV and updated name and gender marker, got a new license.
- Updated all of my accounts, credit cards, insurance, etc.
- Updated my passport.

I have yet to update my birth certificate. Haven't needed it for anything that the passport doesn't count as.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

iKate

Quote from: acidonangles on November 11, 2015, 05:22:16 PM
My parents are all for it and are also eager to help me transition.

That's awesome.

Max's list is how I would do it too, but I didn't do it that way because I had various other factors at play.

Also if you were born in Ohio they don't change gender on birth certificates. However a passport will work pretty much everywhere a birth certificate is required.

Good luck, young man. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
  •  

acidonangles

Thank you! Just making sure. You get the birth certificate from the state you were born in right?
  •  

lisarenee

I did my name change first because it was a step I could take at that time (No Prerequisites). Getting a gender marker change would have required a letter from a doctor. I would have had to see a therapist, then get a letter for HRT, then do HRT for a while before I could get that letter (I later started HRT). OTOH, I could change my name with a few trips to the courthouse and a bunch of money ($400 Filing Fee, $75 for Fingerprints, $20 for a New License, $20 to Amend my Birth Certificate, $38 for copies of my Birth Certificates, Unknown Cost for Gas, $128 to take time off work, etc...)
  •  

iKate

Quote from: acidonangles on November 12, 2015, 02:33:55 PM
Thank you! Just making sure. You get the birth certificate from the state you were born in right?

Yes sir, that is correct.
  •