Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Billy Tipton and Family

Started by tinkerbell, September 25, 2007, 08:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerbell

I just found the references of "she" and "her" to be very insulting considering that Billy lived as a man for a very long time.  >:(

tink :icon_chick:

P.S.  Embedding is not allowed by the owner of the video.
  •  

Jessie_Heart

Quote from: Tink on September 25, 2007, 08:00:14 PM
I just found the references of "she" and "her" to be very insulting considering that Billy lived as a man for a very long time.  >:(

I agree completely. it seems that they are convinced that he only expressed as a man to carry on in his chosen profession but if that were the case wouldn't he have opened up to someone if he were not just living his life as himself?
  •  

Dennis

There has been a long term problem with lesbians assuming transmen are "their" heroes. Some will take Brandon Teena as theirs, and Alan Hart, and Billy Tipton is another. It pisses me off, to be honest. If he identified as male when he was alive, give him that respect after death. I'd come back and torment anyone who did that to me after death.

Dennis
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Dennis on September 26, 2007, 12:08:32 AM
There has been a long term problem with lesbians assuming transmen are "their" heroes.

??? I didn't know that, Dennis.  Why do they make such an assumption?  As far as I'm concerned Brandon Teena and Billy Tipton never identified themselves as lesbian women.  Strange!

•  

Hazumu

Quote from: Tink on September 26, 2007, 07:24:40 PM
Quote from: Dennis on September 26, 2007, 12:08:32 AM
There has been a long term problem with lesbians assuming transmen are "their" heroes.

??? I didn't know that, Dennis.  Why do they make such an assumption?  As far as I'm concerned Brandon Teena and Billy Tipton never identified themselves as lesbian women.  Strange!

Given what I know about the FtM transition 'arc', I could see lesbians identifying with transmen.

It seems/I've been told that most transmen go through a period of 'I like girls, that must mean I'm lesbian', while the number of transwomen who feel they are/must be gay is much smaller.  Also, my take from being outside the lesbian community looking in is that it is a very tight-knit, relationship-driven 'culture' (and if I'm wrong about that, please correct me.)  So I can understand the lesbian community wanting to claim Billy Tipton as their own.

Karen
  •  

Dennis

I think you're right, Karen. It's also because many lesbians don't want to believe that transmen exist. They want to believe that biological females only dress in men's clothes and take testosterone because they can't take the social implications of being butch.

Dennis
  •