Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Legal issues around PR, Citizenship, name changes.

Started by Tiny, November 20, 2015, 02:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny

Okay well, as the thread title might suggest, I'm currently a permanent resident. I'm contemplating Australian citizenship because in my home country, being transgendered is criminalized. Once I'm an Australian citizen, I give up the passport and citizenship of my home country since it doesnt allow dual citizenship, so I'll be getting an australian passport too. A name change is also in the works but I'd like some advice on how to arrange all these. I've lived in the country long enough to be eligible for citizenship.

So maybe in this order?
1. Get citizenship.
2. Apply for name change.
3. Get a passport.

But shoving the name change before the citizenship is also apparently permissible. The stupiest way to go about it would be to get the name change last so I get to pay for a passport re-issue again :v

Any advice out there?
  •  

AnonyMs

Given that its so important I'd get citizenship first. Who knows what might go wrong if you do it the other way around.
  •  

Cindy

Agree with AnonyMs

Citizenship first and it isn't always easy!
  •  

Tiny

Thanks for the advice. It did seem to make the most sense I guess, haha. :)
  •  

Rainbow Bay

Like everyone says I would go citizenship first. And if you are changing the name or sex on your passport because you are transitioning they have to change it for free. I had to remind the people at the post office of this but don't worry it's written clearly on the front page of the application form. 
  •