Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What possible benefit is there for not having love of a creator

Started by stephaniec, December 28, 2015, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

I'm just curious for any reasons why one would not show love of a creator. The universe didn't just start existing at some point . If it's always been then it's not a great leap of logic to say that there has always been a God.
  •  

stephaniec

I think I'll start my own religion." Love of Creator " no responsibilities other then to love that which gave us shelter in the void of absolute nothingness.
  •  

Deborah

All the Middle Eastern originated religions already have that.  Except, loving the creator really means obeying a bunch of rules people wrote in a book.  To love is to obey.

John 14:15.      If you love me, keep my commandments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Tamika Olivia

I've never met an atheist that didn't love to parse, and I parse with the best of them. So, onto parsing out the parts of your post. I want to start with the second sentence and beyond, and after those I'll loop back to the beginning, if that's cool.

The universe didn't just start existing at some point.

All available evidence indicates that, yes, the universe we currently experience came into being at some point. Specifically, the point of the Big Bang. Before the Big Bang... and that's as far as I can go. There is no evidence of what happened, no evidence that our current universe or something else existed. Even the word "before" is a linguistic cheat, because it's impossible to know if temporal concepts like "before" even applied.

So, to parse out the parsing. We know that the current universe began, and at this point we cannot know what, if anything, existed "before" the current universe.

If it's always been then it's not a great leap of logic to say that there has always been a God.

Setting aside the fact that we can't say it's always been there, it's a leap of an order of magnitude larger to say that there is a "God". I'd direct you to the "Ultimate Bowing 747" argument advanced by Dawkins. Basically, a creator god has to be more complex than his or her creation in order to create it, if the spontaneous creation of the Universe is unlikely, then the spontaneous generation of a more complex God is definitionaly more unlikely.

But let's set even that aside. Let's say you're right and it's only a slight leap to make. Just because one can make the leap, doesn't mean one should or is rationally justified in doing so. If there is no evidence for the God, then there is no reason to jump to it over any alternate solutions (magic, advanced aliens, Matrix style VR, so on). All of these answers are equally likely and unlikely, and none offer any evidence in support of their probability.

And looping back to the beginning (the last sentence is a restatement, so for brevity I'll skip addressing it separately):

I'm just curious for any reasons why one would not show love of a creator.

Because I don't believe one exists. There is no evidence that such a being exists, so I have no reason to love it.
  •  

Colleen M

The question strikes me very much as a re-phrasing of Pascal's Wager.  Long story short, game theory says it doesn't work outside a binary system.  Odin and Zeus say this proposition ain't a binary system.  Aten might say it is. but the last few thousand years he's had the most spectacularly violent case of multiple-personality disorder ever seen.   

When in doubt, ignore the moral judgments of anybody who engages in cannibalism.
  •  

stephaniec

I really don't find it a big deal to want to thank the universe for my existence and if the universe is God so be it . I think my idea of forming a religion to show gratefulness for existence is pretty benign .
  •  

Tamika Olivia

It's not a big deal if you want to do that. You did ask why others weren't, though, so that's how I approached it.

I don't thank the universe for my existence the same reason I don't thank my PS4 for playing my games, they both are things that lack awareness.
  •